Let's talk healthcare

So what are your thoughts on a single payer system, basically Medicare for all?

This is what I thought they should have done instead of Obamacare from day one. You already have a system in place so just add everyone to it and do something like Tax food across America with a federal tax to fund it. Then Americans who want to can add their own insurance to pick up where Medicare leaves off.

I pay $16.30 pr/hr for medical insurance (medical/dental/eyeglass) and an average year for me is about 1,900 hrs. We pay extra to cover guys who are out of work so no one in my union goes uninsured as long as they are available to work. The drug companies and medical facilities charge astronomical amounts of money for their services and goods, and until our government stops this overcharging of the American citizen this will never end.

What I liked prior to was "not being told you will buy x"

Medicare. What a joke they cant run it efficiently now so lets add a few million more.

I dont have a solution
I do KNOW having uncle sam involved ain't the answer however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iceland is a relatively mild climate due to sitting smack dab in the middle of the Gulf Stream.

So Jimmy ... you're in?

Medicare. What a joke they cant run it efficiently now so lets add a few million more.

Medicare is absolutely not a joke Don.

The problem with Medicare isn't the program it's this (or the lack thereof):

The responsible and un-abused use of ... tax dollars by both the government authorities and the healthcare providers.

The health care industry is 100% involved in collusion and without government involvement they will never stop.

Should the government not be involved with the airline industry? (FAA) If not people will die.

Should the government not be involved in the banking industry? (FDIC) If not people will have their money stolen.

People are evil and without rules they will hurt anyone they want with no regard for others.

The health care industry is 100% involved in collusion and without government involvement they will never stop.

Should the government not be involved with the airline industry? (FAA) If not people will die.

Should the government not be involved in the banking industry? (FDIC) If not people will have their money stolen.

People are evil and without rules they will hurt anyone they want with no regard for others.

Jamie ... if you've somehow interpreted something that I've said to infer that government oversight and regulation isn't appropriate than I haven't expressed myself adequately. That is absolutely not what I'm saying.

What I'm saying that is that a significant factor contributing to the ineffectiveness and decline of many of our heavily funded social programs (valuable and worthwhile social programs) is government abuse and misappropriation.

Government oversight is essential, I agree ... but as essential, and something that has been absent for a long long time, is "responsible" government oversight.

BTW. I work for the government so if we could kinda keep this conversation just between us, I and my retirement would appreciate it.

It's definitely a position held by many that government control of anything is bad. I will agree that it can be very inefficient, but I will never agree that privatization is the answer. Especially when we are talking health care, which I consider a right vs a privilege. And Jamie's points are spot on.

It's a hard problem to solve, but through real work and, yes, compromise and empathy we can figure it out.

... but I will never agree that privatization is the answer.

54913671.jpg

OK joke was incorrect reference for medicare.
Yes they need to regulate it better.
Cost are out of control.
Something has to be done.
No easy fixes.
Some will be disappointed and some will suffer no matrer what is done.

NEVER will they come up with a 100% perfect for all 100% of the time program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I thought they should have done instead of Obamacare from day one. You already have a system in place so just add everyone to it and do something like Tax food across America with a federal tax to fund it. Then Americans who want to can add their own insurance to pick up where Medicare leaves off.

I don't disagree, and that sounds kind of like how other countries have done it, but do you think it'll fly if it requires a new tax? There seem to be a lot of people who hate taxes and would fight getting cheaper healthcare even if they were saving more money in the end by having government run healthcare than they would be paying in increased taxes.

I pay $16.30 pr/hr for medical insurance (medical/dental/eyeglass) and an average year for me is about 1,900 hrs. We pay extra to cover guys who are out of work so no one in my union goes uninsured as long as they are available to work.

Sounds like a neighborly thing to do.

The drug companies and medical facilities charge astronomical amounts of money for their services and goods, and until our government stops this overcharging of the American citizen this will never end.

I agree. How do we get the government to start working for us again? It seems the corruption runs deep in both major parties. Gotta bring the people together and stop fighting amongst ourselves somehow. This deep hatred both sides have of the opposite party is screwing us all.

What I liked prior to was "not being told you will buy x"

Yeah I think the biggest flaw with the ACA is that it forced unwilling customers upon the insurance companies, which embedded the insurance companies deeper into the system. On the upside however, it did allow something like 20 million people to get healthcare when they were being refused insurance before because of "pre-existing conditions" (there's your REAL death panel, right there) and some other nonsense, so it isn't all bad though.

I dont have a solution
I do KNOW having uncle sam involved ain't the answer however.

I think part of the problem, on top of what Ron mentions below, is that Medicare isn't allowed to negotiate drug prices. If they could, it would help bring costs down. I'm not sure what other problems Medicare has, but do you think that they're worse than the problems that we have with insurance companies?

I concur.

It's definitely a position held by many that government control of anything is bad. I will agree that it can be very inefficient, but I will never agree that privatization is the answer. Especially when we are talking health care, which I consider a right vs a privilege. And Jamie's points are spot on.

It's a hard problem to solve, but through real work and, yes, compromise and empathy we can figure it out.

In other words, you're saying the down side of a government run healthcare system is better than the down side of the private system we have now. It seems the rest of the developed world agrees because they all have some form of government run healthcare and we don't, and a whole bunch of them are ranked as being better systems than ours.

OK joke was incorrect reference for medicare.
Yes they need to regulate it better.
Cost are out of control.
Something has to be done.
No easy fixes.
Some will be disappointed and some will suffer no matrer what is done.

NEVER will they come up with a 100% perfect for all 100% of the time program.

That's true. There will always be something to complain about. We shouldn't let that stop us from trying to make things better, though, right?

As regards drug pricing this is an alternative. MUCH better pricing most of the time for our household before Medicare. Evan with Medicare and either Part D or Part C coverage some drugs are still better priced via the alternative source. THat said Part D or part C Medicare will yield no cost drugs in some cases. Depends on the tier the drug is assigned and that you order it from "their" pharmacy plus it will be in 90 day increments.

https://www.northwestpharmacy.com/

Scott

As regards drug pricing this is an alternative. MUCH better pricing most of the time for our household before Medicare. Evan with Medicare and either Part D or Part C coverage some drugs are still better priced via the alternative source. THat said Part D or part C Medicare will yield no cost drugs in some cases. Depends on the tier the drug is assigned and that you order it from "their" pharmacy plus it will be in 90 day increments.

https://www.northwestpharmacy.com/

Scott

Yes, that would be thanks to congress passing legislation preventing Medicare from negotiating drug prices. It's sickening. If there's any way you can get your medications from Canada, they'll probably be much cheaper yet.

I don't like all of the ACA but the one thing I see is something needed to be started. Change/modify or replace, we need to continue working on it. There are a lot of lessons that can be learned from the rest of the developed world. As I near retirement, I have heard a lot of guys that are retiring early, early as in before 62 for SS, that have been able to get coverage at manageable rates. I too appreciate the discussion that has been going on here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

The average cost of bringing a new pharmaceutical to market is $1,200,000,000 and that doesn't include the expense of all the drugs that are failures. Americans are subsidizing the entire world who only pay what it costs to produce the pill after it has been proven as effective.

We are getting screwed.

BTW, when was the last time you ever heard of someone traveling to Canada or the UK for medical care,,, those that can afford it come here.

I don't like all of the ACA but the one thing I see is something needed to be started. Change/modify or replace, we need to continue working on it. There are a lot of lessons that can be learned from the rest of the developed world. As I near retirement, I have heard a lot of guys that are retiring early, early as in before 62 for SS, that have been able to get coverage at manageable rates. I too appreciate the discussion that has been going on here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

And thank you as well.

The average cost of bringing a new pharmaceutical to market is $1,200,000,000 and that doesn't include the expense of all the drugs that are failures. Americans are subsidizing the entire world who only pay what it costs to produce the pill after it has been proven as effective.

We are getting screwed.

We are definitely getting screwed, but it's not because we're subsidizing the entire world. That's what the pharmaceutical companies want us to think. The top drug companies make billions of dollars every year. Many of the drugs they sell us at exorbitant prices, are at least partially funded by taxpayer dollars. As a result, we often end up paying twice for our drugs. Check out this article if you have a few minutes to spare:

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-1027-mazzucato-big-pharma-prices-20151027-story.html

This video clip (if the link will work) of Rand Paul questioning Alex Azar about generic drugs is also quite telling:

https://www.facebook.com/TheOther98...LMkwWJkSxleqyPFICcxKIxVzCHqMPhEF37Bnw&fref=nf

BTW, when was the last time you ever heard of someone traveling to Canada or the UK for medical care,,, those that can afford it come here.

It's true that some Canadians who can afford to pay their own medical expenses do come to the U.S. to avoid waiting for elective (non life threatening) procedures such as knee replacements instead of waiting what could be several months, but they are not coming here for life saving procedures. They get those immediately without any waiting. And, they don't have to worry about whether or not they have coverage, or what their deductible is, etc. You would be hard pressed to find any Canadian who would be willing to trade their health care system for the American system.

Back