IROC Camaro... Rumor?

L

LightningkillerRT

Ive bin Hearing Rumors about the New and Last Year Iroc Camaro with Chevy Dropping the 385 Horse Z06 motor in it? anyone Know if this is true? just goes to prove what ive said all along ... Chevy has no Idea What its doin in the Performance Market.. they think "hey were Chevy!" and thats suppose to be enough. what are people gonna buy now? O I know there gonna buy a Cavalier and put H/I/E and slap a 200 Dual Stage Shot of "NOS" and run 10s...Sorry forgot the movie(FastandFurious) has got to GM too.

------------------
KeepTruckin!
Tim C
99 SYRC R/T:13.86@100mph! N/A 294RWHP
96 Stang GT:14.8@91
95 1200XLCustom:?@??
If ya Cant Beatum, better go back to the Speedshop!

I haven't heard of that one yet but it's possible, I hope they do since it's the last year. Mind as well go out with a bang.

------------------
Adam
01 Black Lightning
JDM Big mouth filter, JDM Flip chip, JDM Breather cap, JL Ram Air, JBA Headers, Striaght Pipes, Single Blade TB, Splitfires, Bed Rug, Steel Horse Billet grills, Keypad Mod, Dynomatted cab, Blaupunkt MD reciever w/CD changer, MTX Thunder Form, Clarion 5X7's up front, Infinity Kappa's in back, kick panels with JBL components, Relocated starter button, Billet pedals, red interior lights w/neon, purple neon and strobe lights for the shows, and more.
fe5e42b8.gif

Well if it isn't a rumor, that will be one hell of a beast, even though their marketing scheme is somewhat backwards. Shouldn't this have been done a few years ago to try to boost sales and inspire GM fans?

------------------
2000 Silver L
"how much can you really know about yourself if you've never been in a fight?" Tyler Durden

I don't know, I havn't herd that rumor yet, but if it is true, that would be one hell of a car to have! I have to admit it!

------------------
Shane L.

93 black- 13.14 @ 104 (mine)
99 red- 13.04 @ 107 (my inheritance) HEHE

From what I have heard that SLP was considering it but due to the fact of too many regulations and FED crap that they decided not to do another engine swap like they did back in 1997 with the LT4 camaros. They said too much of a hassel

FYI, there hasn't been an "IROC" Camaro since it (IROC) started running Dodge/Shelby Daytonas back in the early '90s (late '80s?). But I digress.

Rumors about a LS6 (Z06 motor) in any f-body are FALSE. There WILL be "special editions" for the last year ('02) of both the Camaro (35th anniversary of Camaro) and Firebird (50th anniversary of Pontiac), SLP will be doing the Camaro (probably ONLY in SS trim), official details about the SE Firebird haven't been released yet (AUG last I heard), but rumors say it'll be yellow (yuck), probably in WS6 trim only too. There will be nothing special about the drivetrain in either f-bod.

Get an f-bod on order now before GM abandons the pony-car market and your only choice will be a Rustang!
frown.gif
Thank you again you friggin GM marketing geniuses!
mad.gif

"Have you seen a f-body TV commercial lately?"

[This message has been edited by JohnnyBzCCRT (edited 07-17-2001).]

You might change your mind about that "Rustang" comment when you see what's in store for it.

That Rustang comment is NOT funny! Anyway, Ford (until lately) has not been paying too close of attention to the pony-car market. How many years have the Mustang crowd been beggin for a 351 in a fox chassis?
Now that the Camaro is sentenced to death, what will HOT ROD magaxine print? Oh, I forgot, they can do six issues on how to wash, wax and store your new, last year produced, camaro. Then they can start the whole "restoration procedure" saga. I believe that I have seen how to restore everything there is for a camaro, in HRM, bumper bolts, valve stems, etc. I am honestly suprised that someone hasn't found a way to replicate the friggin air that the factory put in the tires. I for ONE am glad, no enthralled, to see that fat ass cow go to slaughter. Whew, I feel much better!! O.J. Coletti for president.

------------------
White Lightning #2252//'80 Mercury Capri-306 balanced, D.S.S forged pistons, TFS heads, Holley 750,Tremec, 4.10 gears, more... 13.20@107MPH//'01 F-250 White, PSD, 6 speed, 4X4, extended cab,/wife's white '01 Sport Trac
I have a thing for white vehicles!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gitchi Manitou:
You might change your mind about that "Rustang" comment when you see what's in store for it.</font>

Let's hope so. But only if they come up w/ a new platform that doesn't pre-date not one, but 2 generations of f-bods. Ford should go after the Vette w/ a REAL sports car platform, not the baked-over 'R. If they'd make a Vette killer for less money, you'd see me standing in line for sure. (hint hint)

So what's the scoop for the "new" 'Stang? It better offer better bang-4-buck value than a C6 or I'm not buying.

BTW, the '02 LS6 is rated 405HP. That's probably where the C6 motor options will start at.

[This message has been edited by JohnnyBzCCRT (edited 07-17-2001).]

If you are willing to spend/waste the money on the vette over the mustang that would have to be your problem! The mustang is better for the "bang-4-the buck" anyways! A stock GT will run 14.0 and a vette will run what, a 13.60-13.80 for 18k more...Maybe 13.40 or something on a good day!!

For the same amount of money you could go out and buy a coupe Roush Stage III and beat new ZO6's......

So I guess I don't understand your comment! Could you explain it further, cause it made no sence!!

------------------
Shane L.

93 black- 13.14 @ 104 (mine)
99 red- 13.04 @ 107 (my inheritance) HEHE

I hate to admit this, but I really dont want to see the F-bodies go. No, I am not a fan and would never own one, but the competition was/is a good thing and it is nice for people to have a choice in the marketplace!

I have heard rumor that ford is going to offer a vette/viper competitor that is NOT based on the Mustang! Oh and I for one, am a proud owner of 2 Mustang's (NOT rustang's).

------------------
Chuck P
1993#3951 (24k miles, mod'ed and lots of custom parts)
NLOC#138
MiLOC#10
00 Focus ZX3
99 GT conv
91 GT (race/show car- in hibernation)

Two things I want to do (besides the L) are..

1. Completely rebuild a F100 with a FORD motor, I hate it when someone rebuilds one and then goes the inexpensive route with a Chevy 350. Not that there's anything wrong with a 350 but it doesn't belong in a Ford, at least not in my meaningless opinion.

2. Get a early 90's Mustang LX and stroke it out to a 347 with a blower. I love how clean those cars look, they just look mean.
89notch.jpg

Anyone done either? or close to either?

------------------
Adam
01 Black Lightning
JDM Big mouth filter, JDM Flip chip, JDM Breather cap, JL Ram Air, JBA Headers, Striaght Pipes, Single Blade TB, Splitfires, Bed Rug, Steel Horse Billet grills, Keypad Mod, Dynomatted cab, Blaupunkt MD reciever w/CD changer, MTX Thunder Form, Clarion 5X7's up front, Infinity Kappa's in back, kick panels with JBL components, Relocated starter button, Billet pedals, red interior lights w/neon, purple neon and strobe lights for the shows, and more.
fe5e42b8.gif

[This message has been edited by DJANIMATE (edited 07-18-2001).]

Sorry fellas, I am a die hard Ford fan, but the Vette is in a class of its own!
I have driven both new, and there is no comparison. The Vette is much more powerful, handles better, brakes better and I am not even comparing it to the Z06. With the price tag at about $40K for a coupe.... it is a great bargain!! It will run mid 13's all day and still have a warranty, not to mention the looks!

What Ford needs to do is make the Cobra a contender to the Vette! Drop in the 5.4 tune it up and that would be sweeeett!!!!

just my $.02.

Jason

------------------
Jason
#1554 in 1994
FMS mass air
Powerdyne,8PSI,bybass
Kenne Belle BAP
14.17@96 SO FAR!!!!!!!!!
burnout.gif

febcb43f.jpg.orig.jpg
<BR>
febcb43f.jpg

What is all this talk about 'Vettes running mid to high 13s? I can guarantee that with stock tires a LS1 Vette will run low 13s out of the box. The Z06 is definitely capable of mid-high 12s in stock trim.

I've always been a die hard Chevy fan...for the muscle. I could never stomach driving a Ford, which is one of the main reasons I drive an R/T. I've never had a good experience with a late model Ford. My best friend used to have a '66 Mustang. Fun Factor = 10, Relibility = 2. He ended up selling it for a Tempo...talk about a blow to the ego. That was a piece of shit too. He didn't have the money at the time for anything else. Now guess what he's interested in.......you got it, an R/T.

Ford knows how to market their cars, simply by tailoring to the buyers needs (read: new Explorer, Heavy Duty Trucks). However, they fall short on quality. Chevy will always be the power house of muscle and Ford will follow behind. That is fine by them, as long as they're selling cars. This is obviously ever labels strategy but it's more apparent in Ford.

Watch out in the future though. Ford will lose the Heavy Duty truck market and the Mid-sized SUV market as well. They may have the sports car market, but you can chalk that one up to 16 year old girls who want V6 Mustangs.

[This message has been edited by RT4U2NV (edited 07-18-2001).]

Heres a zo6 killer for you
largeS351.jpg

2001 saleen s351 5.8L supercharged 495 HP and $55 grand. It will give that zo6 a run for its money. How much is the 2002 zo6?

------------------
93L#5173
underdrives
14 degree timing
3chamber flows

[This message has been edited by Dennis Saprinsky (edited 07-18-2001).]

Originally posted by RT4U2NV:
[
I've always been a die hard Chevy fan...for the muscle. I could never stomach driving a Ford, which is one of the main reasons I drive an R/T. I've never had a good experience with a late model Ford. My best friend used to have a '66 Mustang. Fun Factor = 10, Relibility = 2. He ended up selling it for a Tempo...talk about a blow to the ego. That was a piece of shit too. He didn't have the money at the time for anything else. Now guess what he's interested in.......you got it, an R/T.

You are concerned with Ford reliability and you drive a DODGE?????
rolleyes.gif

I just can't understand that!

You can't compare a 66 Stang to the quality of today's cars. Let's compare repair bills on your R/T when you rack up 100K supercharged miles.

------------------
Jason
#1554 in 1994
FMS mass air
Powerdyne,8PSI,bybass
Kenne Belle BAP
14.17@96 SO FAR!!!!!!!!!
burnout.gif

febcb43f.jpg.orig.jpg
<BR>
febcb43f.jpg

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dennis Saprinsky:
largeS351.jpg

2001 saleen s351 5.8L supercharged 495 HP and $55 grand. It will give that zo6 a run for its money. How much is the 2002 zo6?

</font>
The 2002 Z06 will about the same price. I have only found one dealer in all of AZ that carries them and they jack the prices up so much it not even funny. You say 55K at the dealer try 60-65K. The Cobra R that is supposed to compete with the Z06 and Viper is 78.5K at the dealer right now, the MSRP is 55K. Want to talk about a mark up
eek.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dennis Saprinsky:
</font>

2002 Z06 MSRP = $50,995. Some are getting them for $1500 under at the moment.
New 2001 cars are going for 5k under their MSRP.

Tuner cars just don't hold their value like a vette.

Glad to hear about the F-Bodies. Its been hard to be a Ford fan when, year after year, the Z28 beats the crap out of the Mustang GT. Ford does not know how to get HP out of their Mustang powerplants. The GT should be able to beat the Z28 and the Cobra should be able to stomp it.

Just my opinions.

Tuner cars just don't hold their value like a vette.

the Hell you say. A 92 saleen is going for 25 grand on the market today!!! Whats a 92 vette going for? And 495hp in the saleen would equel to 12s in the quarter. And about the cobra R how many were produced this year 300 how many zo6 were produced?

------------------
93L#5173
underdrives
14 degree timing
3chamber flows

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RT4U2NV:
What is all this talk about 'Vettes running mid to high 13s? I can guarantee that with stock tires a LS1 Vette will run low 13s out of the box. The Z06 is definitely capable of mid-high 12s in stock trim.

Ford knows how to market their cars, simply by tailoring to the buyers needs (read: new Explorer, Heavy Duty Trucks). However, they fall short on quality. Chevy will always be the power house of muscle and Ford will follow behind. That is fine by them, as long as they're selling cars. This is obviously ever labels strategy but it's more apparent in Ford.

Watch out in the future though. Ford will lose the Heavy Duty truck market and the Mid-sized SUV market as well. They may have the sports car market, but you can chalk that one up to 16 year old girls who want V6 Mustangs.

[This message has been edited by RT4U2NV (edited 07-18-2001).]
</font>

Not a single thing you said is true besides the 1/4 time of the new vette, that's sad and it also shows how bias you actually are.

Let me run down a few of your points.

1.For such a die hard Chevy fan that couldn't stomach a Ford you sure do browse these Ford boards a lot. Sounds like Blue Oval envy to me.

2.You base your reliability of Ford on a 66 mustang and a Tempo? please. Ask any independent mechanic who's not as bias as you and you'll see the light. Your friend is interested in a R/T? Good for him, I hope he doesn't experience half the problems my buddies have had who own Dodge trucks.

3. Chevy is the powerhouse? Because their commercials say so? I don't know of any factory truck that will catch me, do you?
I owned a 99 F250 with the powerstroke and until recently it was untouchable, how long did it take GM to get a worthy diesel? can you say over a decade? In my opinion it's about damn time, I'm glad Chevy got in the HD market but it's still not going to impact Fords 23 years as the #1 seller, sounds like people trust Ford quality. Just look around some time.

Here's a couple other comparisons of Ford and Chevy's fastest cars that are close in price range..

Corvette z06 - Hp 385 5.7L / Mustang Cobra-R 385HP 5.4L
Camaro/ TA - Hp 325 5.7L / Mustang Cobra 320HP 4.6L

All I see is Ford making more horsepower with less cubes, sounds like good engineering to me.

4. 16 year old girls driving V6 Mustangs, that's cool. I guess the V6 Camaro drivers I see are a lot older then they look, along with the X-treme and R/T owners.

I don't dislike Chevy, I think they build good vehicles but not any better then Ford. It's funny how some of you Dodge guys will switch over to Chevy when you've been shot to pieces trying to talk smack, as if Chevy owners will take you under their wing (yeah right).
I've done my research, have you?

[This message has been edited by DJANIMATE (edited 07-18-2001).]

Back