How are Predator users liking it?

HotSithor

Sonic Blue Avenger
I plan on getting a Predator, but I was just curious on how people are liking them. I mean we all did wait long enough for it, it better have been worth the wait. I was also curious on how easy is it to trace by dealerships, so they can't void your warranty.

I love it!! I pretty much monitor the engine with mine. It is a great scan tool. I am waiting on a custom program, and I cant wait to install it.

Bubba

I like mine, but the wait was verry long. I did not get it to play warrenty games however. I asked my vendor for 2 modified programs the day befor thanksgiving and I had the files on the next tuesday morning. Even better i was able to still use the tool and the tune while I was waiting for updates.

John

As I wait for my custom tune to be written, how long have you guys waited( on average) for getting your custom tunes back from the tuner? Might I expect 3 days, a week two weeks? Just curious.:sfus:

If you dont mind, danoid5631, who is your preferred tuner, and how much does he charge per modified tune?

HotSithor said:
I plan on getting a Predator, but I was just curious on how people are liking them. I mean we all did wait long enough for it, it better have been worth the wait. I was also curious on how easy is it to trace by dealerships, so they can't void your warranty.

With all the modifications you have already, the predator is the last thing you should be worried about in regards to the dealership voiding your warranty.

Those parts can be replaced by stock though. I know that dealerships are able to tell if your PCM was physically modified when you used a regular piggyback chip. I was just curious if the Predator was traceable in anyway by Ford's Star computers.

I got mine from RWTD. If you buy it from him he doesnt charge for a custome tune.
The dealer can tell a reflash has been done. If you put it back stock before you bring it in that is all they can tell. They wont be able to see what was flashed.

I got mine from James at RWTD. excellent customer service, bar none. asked for a summer and winter tune on day before Thanksgiving, got it back following Monday. lots of support and advice, always available.

this is one of the best products i have purchased for my Lightning. and free tunes to boot.

Dave
2001 L

Lgod69 said:
i am getting a custom tune over the phone and thruogh email.... somewhat realtime

Although it can't always be done, those are actually quite fun and enlightening for both parties. It's pretty cool when you have someone at the dyno making runs and then they email over their dyno file after the run, then I'm able to make changes right there and email their custom tune right back to them so they can make another pass. I did a bad boy Z28 a couple of weeks ago this way (heads/cam/exhaust). The 1st pass was my standard custom tune for such mods, but with a very conservative timing curve, and then the 2nd/3rd passes finished it up for max power safely. We ended up gaining 12 rwhp MORE on tunes 3 versus tune 1.

P.s. I have some customers waiting on a custom tune from me, and I just wanted to inform those who are that I am having new templates sent to me for my ChipMaster-Revolution software for both Ford and GM. I will have these tomorrow or Thursday at the latest, so please bare with me a few more days. With these new templates I will be able to build you a better tune.

Regards...

Last edited:
Thanks James, I was just a little concerned that it was taking a while to get back to me. Ill wait quietly in anticipation of a great tune.:tu:

I know you guys are gonna hate to hear this, but the world of speed is new to me.

What can I do with a predator with a stock L? Is it just used to enter programs that you have made for you? Or can it make changes on its own?

I realize that everytime you make a change that effects breathing you need to make a tweak to the computer, but does that program always need to be written but someone else?

Thanks

JavaBeans said:
I know you guys are gonna hate to hear this, but the world of speed is new to me.

What can I do with a predator with a stock L? Is it just used to enter programs that you have made for you? Or can it make changes on its own?

Java, hello, and thanks for your post! No question is a stupid question when it comes to tuning, so please don't ever mind to ask anything that you may need.

Here's a previous post I made in the other thread in this forum on page 5 near the bottom:

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/showthrea...2925#post462925

It also has a dynograph attached of a 2002 stock truck, down to the paper air filter, with before/after tuning. Here's the link to that dynograph as well:

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/attachment.php?s=&postid=462925

As for what you can do with the Predator, you can use the defaulted included tuning that comes on it, or you can have a custom program(s) made for you. You're able to tweak all files yourself via the end-user options with what controls that the device gives you in those options, and of course you're able to have custom tuning made for you by a DiabloSport ChipMaster-Revolution dealer.

I realize that everytime you make a change that effects breathing you need to make a tweak to the computer, but does that program always need to be written but someone else?

You actually do not always have to tweak the tune for certain changes/additions in modifications. There are certain instances where one should always get a redo, however, such as a Pulley upgrade, or full exhaust (such as Long Tubes, off roads or high flows, etc.). When customers purchase from me, I support them in tune changes for future modifications, as should any reputable tuning dealer.

I hope I answered your questions to your satisfaction. If you need anything else, please feel free to ask at your convenience!

Sincerely...

I was looking at the site in your sig, and wanted to know what the third tune is for? Is that diagnostic only? Or can we have 2 different usable tunes?

I'm just curious if its possible to have a tune for max power and another for max fuel mileage? Or does it not make that much of a difference / too much of a hassle?

You can see I don't know whats involved in flashing the chip, so I thought I'd display my n00bishness for all.

JavaBeans said:
I was looking at the site in your sig, and wanted to know what the third tune is for? Is that diagnostic only? Or can we have 2 different usable tunes?

Hey Java, and thanks for your post again.

The third turn is just your factory file. The reason it is setup this way is so you can actually make changes to just the factory calibration through the available end-user options.

I'm just curious if its possible to have a tune for max power and another for max fuel mileage? Or does it not make that much of a difference / too much of a hassle?

That could be done, yes, but in reality a good tune is going to give you nice power gains, and probably not any loss in fuel economy, but possibly slight increases in economy, depending on your driving habits.

You can see I don't know whats involved in flashing the chip, so I thought I'd display my n00bishness for all.

Hey, there is nothing wrong whatsoever with asking any question, regardless if you think it's simple or not. We all are here to learn as well as teach.

Thanks!

Sincerely...

just read on svt performance,that some lightning owners are blowing there engine with the new predator. lightning advice,in svt performance.

wally9404 said:
just read on svt performance,that some lightning owners are blowing there engine with the new predator. lightning advice,in svt performance.

I'm not attempting to add salt to anyone's wound here, but you should ALWAYS buy your Predator from a reputable TUNING dealer. Purchasing one because you find it for less from some unauthorized dealer, or some company purposely lowering their pricing to create hardship on other respectable dealers, does nothing but put you, the customer, in a grey area. You have no idea what you're getting, and are just going by other feedback from Predator owners coming from the same rouge selling dealers. Buying from a vendor who can personally tune you is the ONLY way to go! I recommend to ALL of my customers to allow me to build them a custom tune.

Kind Regards...

Back