Home of the Lightning---December 2003 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
SVT, I don't know much about how the assembly process works, but do you guys built the engines there or do you get them assembled from somewhere else?
If you build them there, can you get some pictures of that? Or can you get any pictures of some L body parts without paint, like a cab or bed or something? Dunno really, just throwing out ideas.

Thanks for the inside info. and answering all our questions.

svt,

I hope Ford is paying you to do this, it sure is worth a lot to the guys here to be able to ask questions and get answers from the horse's mouth, so to speak, (not to mention the pics) :) . Great job, thanks!

Two questions: What is the deal with the slotted lower control arm hole, and the steering stops making such an awful sound? Are there any plans to address these problems?

Tim

I agree with Tim. Also, I don't think SVT knows what he started. We're a bunch of nosey, curious, inquisitive, Lightning owners here. :D

Hey COOK 7. Unfortunately, we don't build any engines here in Oakville Ont. All the L engines are built in Windsor Ont. and shipped to us. I'll try to get some more pic's soon.
Hey Chikenears, give me some time on the question of the slotted hole on the lower control arms. I know back on the1999 models we had some issues with the lower control arms. We had to re-work the lower control arms on the very first lightning's built. However with the Gen 2 Lightning's coming to an end I believe we are stuck with what we got. Hopefully the Gen 3's will have a better set-up.
Hey TX SVT LIGHTNING, the supplier of the frames coats the frames with an oil\wax film for rust reasons. You can imagine how much we hate it when you have to work with it. Every last f-150 has that shi.. on it. The guys get covered with it everyday.
Later SVT

Casey02L said:
Where do they spray that gew stuff on the frame? I could kill that guy sometimes.

Yeah, I am in the process of removing most of that black crap off of my frame around where the engine goes while its out and painting black!!
;c

Hey guys GM does the wax coat too. I have done several frame swaps on 1500,s and I always go through a pair of gloves when doing one. That stuff is a pain.

This has got to be THE BEST thread I have EVER read on ANY message board!

Thank you svt!!! I think we all owe you a few of these!:bd: :bd: :bd: :bd: :bd: :tu:

Jake...

WELCOME PAT

very imformative post, excellent info, THANKS
But you really did opened yourself up here to take some heat
by working at the plant that makes them.

Lets talk a minute about the things that got by the assy line times thousands of Lightnings, if not tens of thousands
(no attack on you of course)

How the hell did thousands and thousand of lightnings get by
with loose bolts, front ends that were shifting and sliding all over, front windshield gaskets that feel off with in weeks, including rear window gaskets that were never sealed or glued. And then the famous loose spark plugs.

AGAIN THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK, just a question to someone that works there. WE ALL KNOW thousands of lightnings clunked and the front ends shifted cause Ford used oval holes with round bolts, (mine did) tons of us lost our original windshild gaskets
(mine came off when it was a few weeks old) The rear window gasket is outright unspeakable, many many leak. As for plugs, most of us find a few loose one when it's brand new straight off the showroom floor, I had three loose ones, one was less than hand tight. Of course there are other issues like electric windows that clunk, etc... and the collection of huge bolts that fall off SOMEWHERE UNDERNEATH, I still have no idea where they go, but find um in the driveway more than a couple of times

Again no attack here, you are friend not enemy, just please please tell me how thousands apon thousands of Lightnings
got by WITH THE SAME PROBLEMS YEAR AFTER YEAR.

I have some bolts and srcew that fell out from under the dash of my `02 but I chalk it up to buying a used truck (as mine is) you never know what the previous onwer did. I've never bought a L new (yet:D) all three of mine have been used and I loved them all except when the `99 that launched a plug (but that a different story all together).

Oh hell ya I love my Lightning JL
Make no mistakes, and I am not complaining
All my Bro's + Sisters here know that
love the L more than anything I've ever owned, AND I'VE OWNED.

But the fact is Herb was able to make a fix for our floating
front ends in a minute, when it took Ford yrs and yrs to do.
I re-glued my Window gaskets back on and they're still there
years later, I've re-glued my moldings that fell off, I've done the plugs a few times (TG when it was new to catch the 3 loose ones)
Ok I still got noisy windows and a few missing bolts BIG ONES,
but I'm real interested in knowing how the same problem,
"truck after truck" come off an assy line, yr after yr ???

Just hoping Pat can shed some light on WHY :sfca:

Rob_02Lightning said:
Oh hell ya I love my Lightning JL
Make no mistakes, and I am not complaining
All my Bro's + Sisters here know that
love the L more than anything I've ever owned, AND I'VE OWNED.

But the fact is Herb was able to make a fix for our floating
front ends in a minute, when it took Ford yrs and yrs to do.
I re-glued my Window gaskets back on and they're still there
years later, I've re-glued my moldings that fell off, I've done the plugs a few times (TG when it was new to catch the 3 loose ones)
Ok I still got noisy windows and a few missing bolts BIG ONES,
but I'm real interested in knowing how the same problem,
"truck after truck" come off an assy line, yr after yr ???

Just hoping Pat can shed some light on WHY :sfca:

Rob,
When you corner at over 85+MPH, do you ever wonder what those BIG BOLTS were holding together?
TB

Yes I do TB, thats the scary part :?
And I know they came from the chassis or body,
because two have that god awful black goo on them.

I laid under there one day looking and looking and for
the life of me (could be too) I can't find where they fell out of ?

Rob_02Lightning --- I was not trying to say you did not love your L :)

These truck are awesome but nothing it perfect.;t

Thanks SVT :sfca: for all the pics and info :tu:
:3g: you keep making them we'll keep buying them:3g:

Hey SVT thanks for taking the time to answer our questions. I have some questions for ya.

What kind of QA/QC program do you have to ensure all parts of the L are functioning properly before it leaves your facility? The reason I ask is I purchased my 03 L back in May and the intercooler wasnt working. The dealer finally figured out the problem and repaired it. It was an electical connector problem.

My second question is: Is there anyone that works at your facility by the name of Gilmore?

When I was having my magnaflows installed, the installer called my attention to this writing on the frame. We really got a kick out of it. It appears that someone was having a bad day at the plant...LOL. If you look carefully at the pics below you can see that the writing was there before the holes were drilled into the frame (specifically the A and the E). The writing is upside down as the truck sits so someone must have been standing inside the frame, bent over and wrote "Not so happy Gilmore".

I'm honored that I have a specially autographed truck!

Are the holes in the frame drilled at your facility or does the frame come pre-drilled?

Maybe you can pass these picks around the plant and let them know that this truck made it all the way to Texas and it's owned by a Proud Redneck in Corpus Christi.

Give the employees our best from Texas!

Thanks again for sharing your time with us.

Todd

Original as the truck sits.
2918-5134-78597.jpg

Picture rotated so you can read it.
2918-5134-78596.jpg

Last edited:
Rob_02Lightning said:
Yes I do TB, thats the scary part :?
And I know they came from the chassis or body,
because two have that god awful black goo on them.

I laid under there one day looking and looking and for
the life of me (could be too) I can't find where they fell out of ?

Post some pics of the bolts; maybe someone will recognize them;i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back