Got beat!!

coopdog123

greased lightning
Was at my less than legal drag strip last night and an 03 chevy silverado step side pulled up next to me and told me to meet him on the highway, I obliged. He told me it had the 5.3 liter in it but told me it wasn't stock..... It wasnt. We started in 2nd gear and from a 30 roll he just left me in the dust.... Twice. I was extremely discouraged. I had to go beat the crap out of a mustang to make myself feel a little better. :(

On a side note, those early 2000's chevy's look SICK when they are lowered and have nice rims.

Just thought I would share my sob story.

if it makes you feel any better i smoked a modded 06 silverado ss friday night at the track...3 times! so that brings the score back to zero

I got a friend with a 2003 chevy shortwide bed 5.3 vortec and when i bought my lightning several years ago, he wanted to line em' up. So i did, and we did two runs....one run from a 25 mph roll and one from a dig. He got me from the 25 mph roll by maybe half a truck, but from a dig, i SMOKED his @zz by 2 1/2- to 3 truck lenghts. He was just one wheelin peelin and i hooked and left him on the line and we ran up to 90ish mph. So the quarter mile was up, in my book. The chevy was stock BTW.

Yeah, he said it HAD a 5.3 in it.....what's in it now? I've used that before,........"Yeah, that Chevelle is an original 350 car....so what?" (never mind the fact that it actually had a 383 with all forged internals and a 250 shot of gas on it. You really have to pay attention to what a street raced says. They can tell you what you want to hear and the truth at the same time.

The issue with the LS series motors is that you can't really tell them apart. It could have had the 5.3 in it, but now have a 5.7 or 6.0 in it and you would really have to know what you are looking for to catch it. Most of the preformance parts interchange too.

Yeah, he said it HAD a 5.3 in it.....what's in it now? I've used that before,........"Yeah, that Chevelle is an original 350 car....so what?" (never mind the fact that it actually had a 383 with all forged internals and a 250 shot of gas on it. You really have to pay attention to what a street raced says. They can tell you what you want to hear and the truth at the same time.

The issue with the LS series motors is that you can't really tell them apart. It could have had the 5.3 in it, but now have a 5.7 or 6.0 in it and you would really have to know what you are looking for to catch it. Most of the preformance parts interchange too.

5.3 Cast iron block
5.7 Aluninum block
6.0 could be either block

I think thats how it goes. Either way with a set of heads, cam and a good intake they make 400+hp all day long. My thoughs is the way he pulled it was probably on NOS. Thats how my SVT Tour is, if a can get a good jump its over with.

i wish ford had spent more time on engine r&d like GM did. those ls motors are killer. 400+ hp in a street car/truck and still getting 19+city mpg, thats crazy.

i wish ford had spent more time on engine r&d like GM did. those ls motors are killer. 400+ hp in a street car/truck and still getting 19+city mpg, thats crazy.

Yeah, it's quite universal too. If the car had a small block in it you can get LS to fit.

Not only do they make good power, but they are durable too. My dad's work truck has over 330K miles on it. It has never had anything done to it other than basic stuff like plugs, filters and oil changes. That's not real uncommon either, there is a truck near me that has over 450K on it.

Another thing about the LS series....... look at how many there are out there. They are in the trucks, suvs and sports cars for the last 10 years. You can almost walk into a junkyard, throw a rock and bounce it off of two LS powered vehicles.

get a turbo.........:tongue:

then no more sob stories! then you get to hear them say.. it sounded STOCK till he floored it and the turbo spooled up and he was just gone!!!;k

Wanna sell me you turbo setup gumby? I already got your old valve covers, might as well compete the set.

i think ford has a good chance now that the new 5.0 motor has come out...id like to see a new ford 150 with a 5.0 run at the track and see what it does...:D

i think ford has a good chance now that the new 5.0 motor has come out...id like to see a new ford 150 with a 5.0 run at the track and see what it does...:D

I agree, it's just a shame that it has taken Ford 10+ years to realize the 4.6/5.4 needed to be replaced. The 5.0 seems to be a good motor, Ford finally has an engine to keep up with the 6.0's in the 1/2 ton trucks. The ECOBOOST can take on the 4.8/5.3's without much trouble. The V10 already rules the 3/4 and 1 ton gas trucks and the new 'Stroke holds it's own too. Now, if we could only get them to pull their heads out of their butts and bring back the SVT program.

Having owned several LS1 Camaro's and now a 2006 GTO LS2 equipped I can say they are hateful motors. Doesn't take much to make them nasty, heck this GTO was STOUT stock, automatic and weighs 4000 with me in it.

As far as trucks and the 5.3 as stated above you can't really tell different motors apart, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0 unless you're really looking and even then it can be tough to tell. Might have started out that way but who know what's
really in it now.

"It's not stock" is an awful broad statement! Stock 243 heads (ported or unported), cam and ported stock intake will result in some great #'s!
I know several cam only GTO's over 400 HP

I do plan on my Lightning handing it to this little red GTO when I get it back together :)

Don't feel bad man.. I like what Gumby said go turbo and find him again!

My thoughts are pulling the nitrous kit of my CSVT changing jets and tossing it in the L. A SC or Turbo sure does sound nice. I'll look at my options when I sell my Tour.

The hell with GM. Maybe thats part of the reason they went under and my/your tax dollars was spent on a company that spends money foolishly.

few mods and the 5.3 will continue to walk ya lol ;) ive read a few turbo trucks stock 4.8 long blocks full weight trucks running high 10s.

been 5.3s in the hi 9s stock long blocks in a old heavy car. so potential is there.

i love my lightning but i may tingle with some ls stuff 1 day

Back