Factory Big Brake Kit

Now that the stock calipers are off, could you get a piston diameter to compare.
Did you notice what the difference was with the lower ball joints? Just curious if they really need to be changed.
Did you use your trucks splash sheild or the vans?
Did you need to realign or is it all good? I know you should always realign when changing parts, but was there much adjustment needed on the tierod?
Is the ride height the same?

looks like the final parts list is

04 E150 Caliper Brackets
04 E150 Calipers
04 E150 Rotors
04 E150 Brake lines
04 E150 Lower Ball joint
04 E150 brake pads

and thats it?

and you're having no issues with your master cylinder with this?

Heres a picture of the new ball joints the lower shank looked the same with bigger nut.dust shield same,no change in ride height everything was the same .Yes it would be a good idea to check but I saw him mark the camber bolt and seemed fine when driving.Only the brake line was differant, the stock one bolted rite up.
big_front_brakes_017.jpg

I did leave the old stuff there as it is now obsolete.Those two caliper bolt holes are what make this swap so sweet,now you can adapt some BIG ***** rotors and calipers. I'm happy with the set up, now someone else can do a bigger rotor caliper swap.
Thanks to JW.

Last edited:
so there are even larger kits that can use this setup? wowza

also, is my parts list correct?

yeah, this upgrade is coming soon....for sure, and i'll make a video

I have been kinda in/out of this thread but, I am glad this works with no change in ride height or anything. My big ? is this, Is there really that much of a noticable difference? I would imagine even with bigger stuff and the same clamping power from the stock master cyl. and booster that you really wouldn't see much of a difference. Is it worth it? Or is it more of a "big brake" for show kinda thing where the cost out weighs the benefits? I still think this mod is out of my price range. As I said before, I would not feel comfortable using junkyard brake parts and if I was to do the swap would want to use all new stuff which obviuosly would drive the price up considerably. Maybe this is a "down the road" thing for me. I am very interested in if it is really a noticable benefit?

871bolt- could you make everyone up an exact parts list? I may start and collect new parts one at a time and it would be nice to make sure I got the right stuff.

Last edited:
Page 3 post 37 has the parts list. Looking at the parts from the junk yard they looked like new even the rotor, it was still untouched. We are talking about 2004 not 1993 so these parts are reusable and in good shape. The 2004 spindle will allow you to run even bigger rotors with the spacer that relocates the caliper bracket. Some of the guys with modded trucks are wanting better brakes the 2004 spindle will allow a stock conversion or Willwood TCE type brake system. Yes it's worth it yes you will feel the differance.
Anyone considering this conversion should read this thread from start to finish. I just happen to get my hands on the parts quickly and was able to see how easy the swap was. I wont be offended when someone comes on here and finds all the parts for a lot less and does the work them self.

stroked, i think my parts list covers everything, just a few posts above you

i'm gonna start shopping around and seeing what i can get to piece this together, maybe someone has one of these that recently got totalled

Alex,can you please post where you found or some part numbers for the rotor and caliber upgrades.I can't seem to find them on wilwoods site.

Page 3 post 37 has the parts list. Looking at the parts from the junk yard they looked like new even the rotor, it was still untouched. We are talking about 2004 not 1993 so these parts are reusable and in good shape. The 2004 spindle will allow you to run even bigger rotors with the spacer that relocates the caliper bracket. Some of the guys with modded trucks are wanting better brakes the 2004 spindle will allow a stock conversion or Willwood TCE type brake system. Yes it's worth it yes you will feel the differance.
Anyone considering this conversion should read this thread from start to finish. I just happen to get my hands on the parts quickly and was able to see how easy the swap was. I wont be offended when someone comes on here and finds all the parts for a lot less and does the work them self.

Thanks!

If you have a 93 to start with, you will need the 2004 Spindle as well? Will 2004-2006 all work the same or is it just 2004 with the 13" rotors? Sorry for the questions, but I have read it all 2X and I'm still a little unclear on those 2 things.

If you have a 93 to start with, you will need the 2004 Spindle as well? Will 2004-2006 all work the same or is it just 2004 with the 13" rotors? Sorry for the questions, but I have read it all 2X and I'm still a little unclear on those 2 things.

I am pretty sure you need the spindles no matter what year you have due to the mounting points for the caliper. I am interested as well if we are just looking for 04's in the junkyard or later models too. 04' - 06' or only 04'?

Yes on the 2004 spindle you also need the caliper,caliper bracket and rotor, the stock brake line will work and the stock master cylinder seems to work also. Some people are saying you will need a bigger master cylinder, I'm not noligable on that subject.

this is a good subject as my brakes just took a dump.

I have a 93 I figure this the 04 E-150 spindles, rotors, calipers, brackets and pads some stainless lines for my 93 should work fine. Since the bolt pattern is different and works great with gen 2 wheels maybe is time for a upgrade there to. What I need to figure out now is the rear wheel bolt pattern since I dont want to drill wheels. The 04 E-150 with drums list 11 1/32 rear drum just like the 93-95 lightning. I wonder if I can just swap the drum and the bolt pattern be good to go.

The E150s have our exact same bolt pattern, no need to change anything.

I have a 93 I figure this the 04 E-150 spindles, rotors, calipers, brackets and pads some stainless lines for my 93 should work fine. Since the bolt pattern is different and works great with gen 2 wheels maybe is time for a upgrade there to. What I need to figure out now is the rear wheel bolt pattern since I dont want to drill wheels. The 04 E-150 with drums list 11 1/32 rear drum just like the 93-95 lightning. I wonder if I can just swap the drum and the bolt pattern be good to go.

The '04-'07 E-150 vans have the same bolt pattern as your truck. 5 on 5.5"
You would have to drill out the Gen 2 wheels to fit them on the van rotors.

Last edited:
Looks like I'm gonna grab the parts for this swap soon, I was quoted 225-250 per side for everything. Is there a difference between 2004-2006 parts? Their computers say they are the same, just wanna make sure so I get the correct year.

Back