Factory Big Brake Kit

150= 5.9" My guess, still 150.
Surprised to find smaller bolts than expected. SAE threads....hmm, doubt it. M12 or M12 all but guaranteed.

What's my angle? Well...if this info is correct there's a remote option that this same spindle would take my bracket for a 13" kit. And maybe the radial mount 14" as well. Interesting thought on how to get the big kit on the 1G truck.
Todd that be sweet if we could get a 14 inch kit on a 1g truck.

Todd that be sweet if we could get a 14 inch kit on a 1g truck.

For What? The 13" is alot believe me. There is a fine line between coming to a stop and locking them up, also there a 2 or 3 maybe more different brake pad componds to choose from.

For What? The 13" is alot believe me. There is a fine line between coming to a stop and locking them up, also there a 2 or 3 maybe more different brake pad componds to choose from.

cuz,if you can couple that 14 incher to a 13.8 rear with a new adjustable prop valve it wouldn t want to lock them so fast.

As much as I want 14" discs, I just can't justify the price. From what I have seen, you have to go with a 6 piston caliper with 14" discs. The Gen 2 14" setup is $2429. Then I would have to increase the rear discs from the 11.5" Cobras to the 13" discs with 4 piston Wilwoods and I would have to make custom mounts. I can see a minimum of $5000 by the time I'm done. Unless I got serious in road racing or Auto cross, I don't see it happening on a street drive show truck.
The idea of using the van discs and Wilwood calipers looks like the optimum setup without costing an arm and a leg. Maybe even a set of Wilwood calipers for the rear.

As much as I want 14" discs, I just can't justify the price. From what I have seen, you have to go with a 6 piston caliper with 14" discs. The Gen 2 14" setup is $2429. Then I would have to increase the rear discs from the 11.5" Cobras to the 13" discs with 4 piston Wilwoods and I would have to make custom mounts. I can see a minimum of $5000 by the time I'm done. Unless I got serious in road racing or Auto cross, I don't see it happening on a street drive show truck.
The idea of using the van discs and Wilwood calipers looks like the optimum setup without costing an arm and a leg. Maybe even a set of Wilwood calipers for the rear.

exactly....besides the crappy steering box and antique i-beam suspension,the crappy brakes are the main reason i can't roadcorse my truck.with 14 inch fronts with 6 pstions and some 13s with 4 pistons,this 4500lb brick will stop.that way i can move on to the junk steering box design and work on some spring rates and adjustable shocks.

I"m pretty sure I have everything for the swap, today I want to take the front wheels off and check the wheel studs. My wheels are 99 style and are ready drilled for the stock studs.The only other thing is the brake lines.

It's Go Time !!!!
big_front_brakes_013.jpg

Heres the pictures of the brake conversion you can see the size differance from the dust shield from stock to the bigger rotors. The dual piston caliper looks alot nice than the stock ones. Everything went on the drivers side first without issues, they are doing the passenger side as I sit here.They are going to reuse the brake lines until I order some better ones.
big_front_brakes_023.jpg
big_front_brakes_020.jpg
big_front_brakes_016.jpg

Last edited:
Lupe the owner of the shop is very experianced in Fords and road racing, so for now I'm running the stock master cylinder which is like new so is the booster.The brake lines also bolted up but are stock.
I like the way it stops and can tell the differance over the stock brakes.
So how much was the swap, I payed $500.00 for the rotors, calipers and bracket and spindles. about $200.00 for the pads,ball joints and spring clips.$200. for the labor. You could spend way less if you can find the donor E 150 and do the labor yourself. More could be spent on a new master cylinder but I think the stock one will be fine.So realisticly it can be done for about $500.00. With the way the calipers bolt to the spindle you could go hi dollar and get a big rotor kit from Wilwood they do list a kit for the E 150 over 3 grand. Or you can get some 4 piston calipers to go along with the bigger rotors. Now there is more choises for the Gen l all thanks to JWbronco and Drvovru.

Is there any track width difference??? or is it the same as stock L.
I am running 295 45 18's on a 2.5 drop, and any farther outward would be a issue for my current setup.

Also, any Idea if these clear 15" racelines when on drag strip duty??

alrighty, so what is the full list of things needed for the swap?

can we get a list? as soon as i can get ahold of the parts i will make a video, probably will be spring break or summer break though! depending on my schedule!

Looks great! So is the stopping difference worth the say $500??

Or would drilled/slotted rotors and better pads be the way to go?

Lupe the owner of the shop is very experianced in Fords and road racing, so for now I'm running the stock master cylinder which is like new so is the booster.The brake lines also bolted up but are stock.
I like the way it stops and can tell the differance over the stock brakes.
So how much was the swap, I payed $500.00 for the rotors, calipers and bracket and spindles. about $200.00 for the pads,ball joints and spring clips.$200. for the labor. You could spend way less if you can find the donor E 150 and do the labor yourself. More could be spent on a new master cylinder but I think the stock one will be fine.So realisticly it can be done for about $500.00. With the way the calipers bolt to the spindle you could go hi dollar and get a big rotor kit from Wilwood they do list a kit for the E 150 over 3 grand. Or you can get some 4 piston calipers to go along with the bigger rotors. Now there is more choises for the Gen l all thanks to JWbronco and Drvovru.

you got a link,or part numbers on the wilwood stuff.i can t seem to find it.

I never put slotted rotors or differant pads on the stock brakes so I cant say. I did see the front end drop like never before when testing out the new set up.With these spindles you can go bigger on the rotors and better calipers, the choises are now better than ever. This set up is a stock type application starting point, guys looking for more stopping power now have more options.
Spence page 3 post #37.

Last edited:
If you have the wheel off again, can you measure from center to out most part of caliper. I am currious if I can use my racelines with this package.

Back