electric fan wiring with Air conditioner on

So it's the 348 Purple wire shown in those diagrams. Yes, that will work to trigger a relay (assuming the relay is otherwise wired correctly for it).

Both the wires in the plug energize when the air conditioning is turned on in the truck. There is only one wire coming out the other side of the plug so I just added another wire with pin so I didn’t have to splice into any wires

Both the wires in the plug energize when the air conditioning is turned on in the truck. There is only one wire coming out the other side of the plug so I just added another wire with pin so I didn’t have to splice into any wires

What are using for a fan controller? Or does the pimpXShift have fan controls built in?

It has them but I have the fan wired with two different relays. One activated when the AC is turned on and one that turns it on being wired to a temperature sending unit that I tapped into the water pump housing.

What are using for a fan controller? Or does the pimpXShift have fan controls built in?

You probably know this, but the pimpXShift (any EFI for that matter) can only control relays. There's a lot you can do with it like WOT cut, AC idle up, multiple fans, etc though.

Thoughts? My current wiring plus what I’m planning on adding (circled).It’s pretty basic. I think it’ll work. I know some like the T-stat on the ground side which can easily be done too.
c2f8d46623533d50841d7956ef5f12d5.jpg

I am sure someone will disagree but (maybe) wire that thermostat so it is always hot.

Cool down after key is off.

- - - Updated - - -

On my corvette I have a 250 amp breaker that switches the whole car off, so when I put it up it disconnects the battery.

Question?
My Fan pulls 38 amps on high.
What size wire, fuse and relay would you guys recommend?
Painless sells a 70amp relay kit and 70amp Maxi fuse in it. It comes with wire 10ga Wire in the kit. In my experience this is too small for the supplied 70 amp relay and fuse or am I wrong? I know it’s not a lot of length but for a 70 amp circuit shouldn’t the wire be a 4ga? I have some 6ga and it should be good for 38 amps no problem so I’m thinking of putting in a 60 amp fuse and using 6ga wiring. I want my fan to be reliable and not melt relays and burn up wires. I found recently that the 45 amp relay I was using was starting to melt the cover that goes over the wires. Glad I caught it now. So I’m rethinkin the whole setup. Thoughts?
I have the 70 amp Painless kit, a Ford Taurus fan (16”).

Question?
My Fan pulls 38 amps on high.
What size wire, fuse and relay would you guys recommend?
Painless sells a 70amp relay kit and 70amp Maxi fuse in it. It comes with wire 10ga Wire in the kit. In my experience this is too small for the supplied 70 amp relay and fuse or am I wrong? I know it’s not a lot of length but for a 70 amp circuit shouldn’t the wire be a 4ga? I have some 6ga and it should be good for 38 amps no problem so I’m thinking of putting in a 60 amp fuse and using 6ga wiring. I want my fan to be reliable and not melt relays and burn up wires. I found recently that the 45 amp relay I was using was starting to melt the cover that goes over the wires. Glad I caught it now. So I’m rethinkin the whole setup. Thoughts?
I have the 70 amp Painless kit, a Ford Taurus fan (16”).

This is a good guide to go by,

10AWG = 55 Amp
12AWG = 40 Amp
14AWG = 30 Amp
16AWG = 20 Amp

There are many charts like that, but they're all subjective, based on the author's ideas of temperature tolerance in the wires' insulation & the surrounding materials.

(phone app link)

Ford's instructions are in that caption. This caption explains how to size a fuse or circuit breaker:

(phone app link)

But you need to know the STARTING current for the motor, which requires a fast-reading or graphing high-current DC ammeter (or a stack of fuses).

Back