East, Northeast through Indianapolis

FMOS Racing

PSI=:-D
I Support the NLOC
Thought I'd better make an official thread for this -

Currently I'm offering food/sustenance for Wednesday night in Indianapolis and at the very least a floor and a bathroom to crash on (bring a sleeping bag) or we'll make arragements at local hotel.

It's a 550 mile shot from Indy to Topeka, so that would be a good last leg for Thursday. The plan is to leave fairly early Thursday morning to get to Topeka mid-afternoon, check into the hotel, and then head to the track.

Currently the list of "convoyeurs" is:

Dean
Chuck
Justin
Steve C.
Marcus
Brian? (you can fly to Indy, ride from there)
Ralph
Dennis
Jamie
Matt

I will have to regrettably drop from the list. Things aren't working out here to support the trip, plus the fact that the trip would cost us over $1000.

That's still looking about $200 for tickets, and $250 for hotel, plus food :) Plus we just bought new windows for the house, $$ ouch.

Well, I'd love to do this......the good news is I work for an airline (air fare is free to indy). The bad news is I work for an airline that may file Chap 11 soon (no hotel money).

Is anyone willing to let me free load (or close to that)? I give good back massages.....LOL

There could be a buddy pass included as payment (standby airfare from ATL to LAX, for example, is $75 each way with a very possible upgrade to first class).

If interested, PM me....

jeff, i was just going to send you a P/M asking you
for a map or directions that will get us to your place....
thanks steve

What's the plan for you guys?

Three, possibly four L's are headed from Illinois to Topeka via I-35 on Thursday morning, arriving in Topeka around mid afternoon.

Plan is to roll out of the Indianapolis area on I-70 at roughly 7:00 Thursday morning. My INTENTION is that if everyone’s bladders can tolerate it, we’ll stop on the west side of St Louis for fuel, lunch, and bio-breaks. I expect to get to Topeka around 4:00 Thursday afternoon (assuming a 9-hour travel time if we roll along), check into the hotel, and head for the track.

How does that coordinate with what you guys are planning?

So far only a couple of people have confirmed their plans, however, so I don't know what kind of group we'll actually have. I've heard from Steve Colgan, SVT-Bob, Speedin' Bob, and Matt so far. I'm started to push the issue with the east-coasters in PMs, though. ;)

hey jeff, ive been talking to justin and he's meeting me
here and we'll cruse in to your place from here together..
iam not real sure if any one else is coming in with him or not...
so you can add him to the list...dont forget my map.....steve

Last edited:
FMOS Racing said:
How does that coordinate with what you guys are planning?

It looks like we don't hit I-70 until the last 75 (give or take a few) miles of our trek. But, what do I know... I can't find my way out of a paper bag. :D

Just kidding.

Anyway, we're traveling west across Iowa on I-80 and then south to I-70 into Topeka.

Our ETA will hopefully be between 4 and 5pm.

Let's see if this silly little Rand McNally map will post...

Silly little Rand McNally map

Doesn't work!!! ;c

Last edited:
Steve, trading PMs with Justin now. He said Larry is coming, too. Are you and Sheila planning on crashing at the house or at one of the hotels?

Bill - I'll try to figure that out this evening or tomorrow morning and post.

Jeff, I don't know how long it is from Indy to Columbia, but it's about 3 hours, give or take, from Columbia to Topeka. So, that will probably put you in Columbia around 12:30 - 1:00. Does that sound about right? Keep in touch, I don't want to miss you guys.

Are you going to be using 2-way radios? If, so, what channel you gonna be on?

Vern

Here's what I've come up with:

I'm going to base our stop on the towing range of a Gen 2 since I'm not certain who is convoying yet and they have the most limited fuel capacity. All times are based on an average travel speed of 65 mph since construction will slow us down, some people will be towing, etc. Also, I'm making the assumption that no one will break down.

There's a cluster of gas stations at exits 208 and 209 off of I-70 (Wentzville). That's 285 miles from our starting point and should be a good fill-up-and-grab-a-sandwich stop. We should arrive there at roughly 11:30, depart at roughly Noon.

That would put us at the junction of Hwy 63 and I-70 (Exit 128A)between 1:30 and 2:00.

From there, we should be in Topeka at the hotel around 4:30 pm.

If anyone wants my cell number, drop me a PM. I'll post a two-way channel before Tuesday (after I go get a pair and know what to post ;) )

How's that sound? Anyone have any objects or alterations to that?

FMOS Racing said:
Here's what I've come up with:

There's a cluster of gas stations at exits 208 and 209 off of I-70 (Wentzville). That's 285 miles from our starting point and should be a good fill-up-and-grab-a-sandwich stop. We should arrive there at roughly 11:30, depart at roughly Noon.

Wentzville has a Quick Trip gas station, KFC,Wendys, Taco Bell, McDonalds, A&W (at the other end of town, gos by some other name) Subway, Pizza Hut, & others I can't remember now though. Also home to my favorite Mid America Raceway. Also up 70 a litte farther is Forestdel about 3-5 miles the have a T&A & Mr.Fuel truckstops, but no restaraunts.

I know the QT at exit 208 (Wentzville) has 93 octane, so that's a plus.

As far as stopping in Columbia, STAY AWAY from pulling off at the I-70/US63 interchange!! It's a HUGE PITA, made even worse by ongoing construction. As a matter of fact, be very careful even going thru there, the construction has narrowed I-70 just after that exit, so take it easy.

Alternatives: There's a BP station at exit 126 that has 93, but it's a small station. But if anybody needs fuel, they can stop there to top off. And then I would suggest everybody meet up at a Conoco Truck Stop just west of Columbia at exit 121 to start the next leg. It's called Midway Truck Stop. They don't have 93, but they have plenty of room and easy on-and-off I-70.

Vern

sorry jeff, but i have to tell you that the wife and i wont be able to make it to your place, sheila's dad took a turn for the worse a couple days ago and things dont look to good for him..
but if nothing else changes between now and thursday then i think were going to try and make it down there by fri,....
hope to see you guys then
steve

Justin told me, Steve. Take care of the important stuff, buddy! I hope everything works out.

Vern, we'll see you at Exit 121.

Back