83-96 Ford F-150 Bolt-in Ultimate Front Suspension Kit

https://www.nloc.net/vbforum/showth...S-Swap?p=2182119&highlight=weight#post2182119 this is the page where his truck's weight loss with his crown vic swap was mentioned. it was about 100#. post number 424.

I think on his truck that's a good number, but I'm not sure his truck is representative of what most should expect. He did a lot of things that most people aren't going to do that add weight. Fully boxing the frame, adding heim joints instead of rubber bushings, the boxed rear LCA mounts, etc. All of that adds up. It may be partially offset by the Wilwood brakes and tubular arms. Everything he did is worth more than the weight it added, but it's still weight. Earlier in the thread he weighed everything he removed and the entire CV setup and was pretty close to a 200lb difference before doing any of the extra stuff.

I’d like to see how well it works in a drag race application. Not sure how much front end travel you’ll end up with. You need at least 5” to keep a leaf spring truck happy.

I wish I had the funds, I would buy one and answer all of these questions. Now would be a great time as it will be down to just the frame Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Wonder how this compares to the k member that AJE makes.

I don’t have “hands on” knowledge of either kit.

I have read that the AJE is not a good choice for everyday road use. I don’t know this for sure.

The Innovaspeed kit is intended for daily driving, road course, hard cornering, and weight saving.

Some guys on here have used the AJE kit and can speak better to it than I can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
From what I’ve heard, AJE had made some changes by adding additional bracing to add strength for daily driving. Maybe someone else has some information on this.

Thought I'd jump in to share my experience with the CV swap weight. It's not nearly as dramatic on the OBS as it is for the earlier F100 trucks.

Stock Lightning parts-
- Springs (pair) - 25.2lbs
- Steering linkage - 17lbs
- Swaybar (w/ frame bracket and end links) - 30.2lbs
- Motor mount brackets - 8.8lbs
- Radius arms (pair) - 19.2lbs
- Steering box - 33.8lbs
- Shocks (pair) - 6.6lbs
- Spring buckets (pair) - 21.2lbs
- Beam axles (pair) - 49.2lbs
- Calipers (pair) - 17lbs
- Spindles (pair) - 40.8lbs
- Rotors (pair) - 50.8lbs
- Crossmember - 37.4lbs
- Rivets/bolts/in-frame steering box support - 11.4lbs
- Radius arm brackets - 5.8lbs

Total - 374.4lbs

The CV front weighs 223lbs without the rotors/calipers but including the CV sway bar and the 4 large bolts that hold it to the frame. That's 151.4lbs less than the stock Lightning so far. I don't know the stock CV rotor/caliper weights but the parts I'm using are 65.2lbs total. The CV parts are probably closer to 50lbs if I had to guess so that would make the weight loss around 101.4lbs before you consider any weight added for boxing the frame or motor mounts. Conservatively you'll add 20lbs there so really the CV swap in an OBS is only ~80lbs of weights savings.

Steve

Last edited:
That's good info. Not really worth doing swap for weight savings only imo. I will just add a few pounds of boost

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

The pair of I beams only weigh 49 lbs???

This is the weight of my stock beams. 53.71 lbs
38865620e17d69926e114f75ef863af7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weight savings alone is not why you buy this kit. I want my truck to handle which is why I would consider doing this.

Weight savings alone is not why you buy this kit. I want my truck to handle which is why I would consider doing this.

I keep seeing people say that, but what I am looking for is proof. How exactly is handling improved?

Seeing this really makes me want to take down the feeler ads for my truck and drop some more coin. I can’t stand the handling of the I-beams and dropping some more weight would be a god send.

Seeing this really makes me want to take down the feeler ads for my truck and drop some more coin. I can’t stand the handling of the I-beams and dropping some more weight would be a god send.

You’ll regret selling it Clint. Ask me how I know!

I keep seeing people say that, but what I am looking for is proof. How exactly is handling improved?
Geometry and adjustability. Granted, if the back is left leafspring then the front end updrade is wasted money. If the rear is converted to a 4 link then the rear end will plant and handle. That's when the limitations of the I-beams will arise.

When I took my truck on the road course in fall of 2020 it did "ok". It is certainly a "loose in the rear" type of handling. I could load the front on turn in (with that little the brakes would allow) and the front seemed to stick decent but the rear was certainly an issue for the ultimate handling machine. I never really got any understeer but I was struggling to bring my confidence up for big speed with the braking and rear. My truck is also on beams and lowering springs in the front and shackles and hangers in the rear that pretty much ride on the factory bump stops so I don't get any dive in the front or lean in the rear.

When I took my truck on the road course in fall of 2020 it did "ok". It is certainly a "loose in the rear" type of handling. I could load the front on turn in (with that little the brakes would allow) and the front seemed to stick decent but the rear was certainly an issue for the ultimate handling machine. I never really got any understeer but I was struggling to bring my confidence up for big speed with the braking and rear. My truck is also on beams and lowering springs in the front and shackles and hangers in the rear that pretty much ride on the factory bump stops so I don't get any dive in the front or lean in the rear.

*This* kind of feedback is what I am looking for :) I've never argued that there are not improvements to be made, but there's also a herd mentality that gets going after a while. People are swapping to CV now just because and are just saying it's best because tater the YouTube star said so... @Jonathan, I know you do your research so not saying that's you, but I think you know what I mean.

Back