2nd gen motor in a gen1 boby

i just turned 26, never got into the modular stuff, EFI.
im young & old school push rod, carb.

Last edited:
whoever that would want to switch is crazy pay that much to do it for a motor that has crappy rods.

pushrods 4 life no modular crap for me

mod motor = :chacha:

pushrod = :stretcher

all else is ;B

:cool:

PS...yes I'm having fun with this....I just did this to **** Jeff off :D

Umm... The weight comparison forgot one little thing, that 5.4 weight spec was for an N/A motor... Now strap on an intercooler and blower, and you'll find that the BB is infact atleast a 100 lbs lighter with aluminum heads..

Big blocks aren't that expensive to build either.. The same places that make affordable parts for the SBF also make equally as affordable parts for the BBF... Yes the heads are a bit more expensive, but you garnish much better gains with a BBF mainly because of the displacement..

The money spent on a 5.4 S/C motor in a Gen 1 would be much much better utilized to go un-naturally aspirated on a Gen 1... The Gen 1 has much more potential than a Gen 2 when it comes down to it.. How many Gen 2's do you see in the 8's? How about the 7's?

Lightning Struck said:
Umm... The weight comparison forgot one little thing, that 5.4 weight spec was for an N/A motor... Now strap on an intercooler and blower, and you'll find that the BB is infact atleast a 100 lbs lighter with aluminum heads..

Big blocks aren't that expensive to build either.. The same places that make affordable parts for the SBF also make equally as affordable parts for the BBF... Yes the heads are a bit more expensive, but you garnish much better gains with a BBF mainly because of the displacement..

The money spent on a 5.4 S/C motor in a Gen 1 would be much much better utilized to go un-naturally aspirated on a Gen 1... The Gen 1 has much more potential than a Gen 2 when it comes down to it.. How many Gen 2's do you see in the 8's? How about the 7's?

I understand the last question....but....you guys gotta give it time. The paint has barely dried on most of these gen 2's. Let them get some miles on them like you guys and see what happens. With that being said....there is a Red Gen 2 currently being built that is an '04 and had about 1000 miles on the clock before it started getting its tube frame. And this one will have enough mod motor power to satisfy the biggest critics.
http://209.25.194.146/garys_truck/index.html

This black truck is a '00 I think http://209.25.194.146/chassis/index.html

Its happening....its just slow thats all.
Dale

Lightning Struck said:

Nope, blower, intercooler, pump and radiator weigh maybe 70 or 75 pounds so it still won't be heavier than the big block.

And you haven't seen a Gen2 in the 8's yet because nobody has built one as light as the Gen1's that are running in the 8's. If Johnny Lightning keeps chipping away at it he will get there soon.

There are some Gen2's that are making some huge HP numbers and some in the works that will be making even more. Just a matter of time.

None of this is to say that a windsor with the same amount of effort put into it wouldn't make more power or a 385 series motor either. Give credit where credit is due though, the 4.6 and 5.4 cammer motors are capable of making serious power and if they get as much time to develope as the other ford performance motors have then they will be just as good.

All of this being said, I wouldn't put a Gen2 motor in a Gen1 and I wouldn't put a big block in either, I would always keep a windsor in it.

Bad as L said:
I understand the last question....but....you guys gotta give it time. The paint has barely dried on most of these gen 2's. Let them get some miles on them like you guys and see what happens. With that being said....there is a Red Gen 2 currently being built that is an '04 and had about 1000 miles on the clock before it started getting its tube frame. And this one will have enough mod motor power to satisfy the biggest critics.
http://209.25.194.146/garys_truck/index.html

This black truck is a '00 I think http://209.25.194.146/chassis/index.html

Its happening....its just slow thats all.
Dale

them's gonna be some bad trucks!!!!

Ltngdrvr said:
Nope, blower, intercooler, pump and radiator weigh maybe 70 or 75 pounds so it still won't be heavier than the big block.

And you haven't seen a Gen2 in the 8's yet because nobody has built one as light as the Gen1's that are running in the 8's. If Johnny Lightning keeps chipping away at it he will get there soon.

There are some Gen2's that are making some huge HP numbers and some in the works that will be making even more. Just a matter of time.

None of this is to say that a windsor with the same amount of effort put into it wouldn't make more power or a 385 series motor either. Give credit where credit is due though, the 4.6 and 5.4 cammer motors are capable of making serious power and if they get as much time to develope as the other ford performance motors have then they will be just as good.

All of this being said, I wouldn't put a Gen2 motor in a Gen1 and I wouldn't put a big block in either, I would always keep a windsor in it.

Johnny has already ran solid 8.70's (@ 19 lbs boost) right now he can't keep a transmission together. He is wanting the 4R70 to do the job but it is trying his patience.
PS....Johnny is still running the 2V motor :?

Bad as L said:
Johnny has already ran solid 8.70's (@ 19 lbs boost) right now he can't keep a transmission together. He is wanting the 4R70 to do the job but it is trying his patience.
PS....Johnny is still running the 2V motor :?

isnt that the newer style AOD?
if so Y? i understand it's much lighter, & uses less power to operate.
but his truck is still kinda heavy, & makes some good power.
I give him props for tryin it.

There's a Gen 1 being built that oughta cover all the bases pretty well... but since you can't race anything that's perpetually being built, they really don't mean anything at all to me at this point. Much easier to say things than to do them. ;)

Dale, by this relative time in Gen 1 history there was one in the 7s and several single power adder trucks in the 9s - from far fewer trucks produced overall and with fewer venues to race at and less money available. :)

I still think the long stroke mod motor is a huge waste of money as a performance platform to convert to - if you started there, do what you will. You can make more power and go faster with the grumpy, cobby old pushrod motors for a lot less money. If you want to do something just for the hell of it, it's fine. If you're doing it because you think it's "better?" Throwing good money down the tube... (but I guess that's what racing is about anyway).

An aluminum-headed, aluminum water pump 385-series big block would weigh about the same thing as a naturally aspirated 5.4 according to that chart. So, the intercooler stuff would indeed put the mod motor over the weight of the big block - but not the 300 lbs that I said at first. Again, I was under the mistaken impression that the boosted mod motor weighed almost 1000 lbs.

Well for the price of the aluminum heads for a 385, you could ALMOST get an aluminum block for a mod motor and shave nearly 100more lbs from it.

I am sure you noticed my sarcastic smiley in my first post Jeff.

Far fewer venues to race, then??? I think you've gone the other way. I wonder when the last NEW dragstrip was opened? VS the number that have closed? Now events, yes, there are more events that cater to the Lightnings now, obviously, but venues, no I disagree.

fordfreak95 said:
Another thing you have to think of here is...........How old are you Jeff and other guys?...........A lot of the younger guys I know (work) don't like older push rod motors. They love the over head cams and multi valve heads. They say my truck goes fast on antique power. Oh well..............now I can say what I want to them and you guys can type how dumb it is here but.............in the end anyone in the (around this)16-25 age bracket would much rather have the Gen.2 motor just because it's a newer design and so isn't the computer system which can be tuned by anyone.
We are a dying breed here. See how much hype the mod motor drag classes are getting? Real young crowd................so I've been told.
I go to a lot of local car shows during the summer. The #1 question I get asked from every young kid is................."Oh man Dude......why don't you put a new super charged Lightning motor in this thing".
I then tell them I am faster than the other "Newer" Lightnings sitting next to me because they are all stockers with 380-400hp & just show mods but.............no one cares. I have beat countless Gen.2 trucks in back road street races but................I get no credit. My stuff is old school I get told.
Oh well, I will sit here and just grin and enjoy having the tittle to my old school truck with no payments. :)
Antique power? I'll let GM know their entire line of LS engines are antiques and should be tossed out immediately. ;)

Oh yeah, and I'm 23 and wouldn't have that 5.4 (sohc) for all the rice in China. I can just do more for cheaper with a Windsor like was said. They'd probably tell me I don't spend enough time in the new race scenes or something.

I'm a big fan of Ford's dohc mills though (Cobra/GT).

Last edited:
Frank, good catch on my grammatical error. I did mean "events."

Can you really get an aluminum mod motor block for $2000???

Well if you want a 5.4 aluminum block, they have been about 2500. I havent priced them lately though. I did say "almost" when I said that about the heads vs block.

I still think the long stroke mod motor is a huge waste of money as a performance platform to convert to - if you started there, do what you will. You can make more power and go faster with the grumpy, cobby old pushrod motors for a lot less money. If you want to do something just for the hell of it, it's fine. If you're doing it because you think it's "better?" Throwing good money down the tube... (but I guess that's what racing is about anyway).

That does it.....all my mod motor stuff it going up for sale.

Time to fight fire with fire :thumbup:

not

:cool:

Dale - Brang it awn! :D

Frank, that's amazing. I had no clue you could get one that cheaply. Definitely the way to go! The totally unprepped aluminum BBC block I got ahold of back in the early 90s was $4500 then - and then there was whatever machine work and the billion dollar Jesel belt drive. I bet that thing is $6000 now.

Back