Save the Date, May 19th!

And then you live somewhere like Texas, where the power was out for an extended period of time. And all you have is a sparky vehicle. Where you going? California has "Rolling blackouts" due to the amount of power generated isn't sufficient for existing demands. Where you going?

I don't believe it's inevitable. At least not in what time I have left on this planet. That makes me happy.
I live in texas and had no issues with having my EV charged. Once the weather Channel warned of a freeze and possible electricity loss I charged my car to 100%. Just have to be proactive. Even with no electricity,fuel pumps cant pump gas. So doesn't really matter if you're Gas or electric. If you dont prepare you ain't getting far.

I live in texas and had no issues with having my EV charged. Once the weather Channel warned of a freeze and possible electricity loss I charged my car to 100%. Just have to be proactive. Even with no electricity,fuel pumps cant pump gas. So doesn't really matter if you're Gas or electric. If you dont prepare you ain't getting far.

What I thought was interesting was that people were using the new hybrid F-150's to power their homes while the grid was FUBAR'd LOL

I live in Raleigh. I've been VERY interested in an EV the past week.

The pipeline hack is a direct counter to any Texas electrical grid arguments. I drive past a nice nuclear plant every weekday.

At least I didn't have to worry about freezing to death.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Everything has its pros and cons. I see most Americans owning one of each, electric for daily commutes and gas for long trips and convenience.

Everything has its pros and cons. I see most Americans owning one of each, electric for daily commutes and gas for long trips and convenience.

I will not be among them.
Electrics do zilch for me
Bland appearance as well as no rumble and absolutely no appeal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First response to the pic over at LightningRodder was YUCK! My first response was FUGLY!!

Yeah...I mean it's literally nothing. It's an F150. Nothing special at all. Different grill and yay an annoying light bar across the tip of the hood. ugh.

Waiting :)
4cccae182dfdf0c1c9d2394b6949ee0b.jpg

I'd drive a Model S as a commuter, especially a P85D or above. I don't think you can call that kind of moon shot acceleration "just virtue signaling."

Electric is the future - just like pressurized oiling replaced splash oiling and EFI replaced carbs. At every step forward, the change was resisted by those invested in the existing. We don't have to like it - but we might want to find a way, since eventually we won't really have a choice.

I've enjoyed my era. The rumbling exhaust part of my nature doesn't like the idea of driving a golf cart, even if it's a fast one. But, it's inevitable, so I might as well look at it rationally.

Electric will be the far future but for now and foreseeable future electric is still reliant on coal and oil, it is virtue signaling at this point. And 50k-90k for an all electric unproven F150 😂💵😂🤣. Cool but not for me, I’ll stick with my 92 straight 6, 93 lightning rebuild and my paid off 2013 F250 6.7

What I thought was interesting was that people were using the new hybrid F-150's to power their homes while the grid was FUBAR'd LOL

Exactly they were using their hybrid gas powered truck's onboard generator to power their homes.

Folks talking about the pipeline hack and that being a reason to go to a smartphone on wheels..... Used to love seeing the old "Eaton Inside" stickers on trucks. Guess these will now have "McAfee Protected" stickers as each truck will have to come with antivirus software. LOL

I don't get where some of you guys think EVs are the "far future." If manufacturers and governments are both signaling a phase-out of combustion engine vehicles in the next 15 years, how is that "far"?

I agree with Jamie, until the advent of slow discharge capacitors, EVs will have very limited use as a highway vehicle, and as someone who really isn't a big EV proponent, I could still see owning one as a commuter. You guys have fallen too far into tribalism with pejoratives like "virtue signaling" because there are OBJECTIVE (not subjective) advantages to EVs as commuter vehicles. This is coming from a guy with an 800 hp pickup and a 700 hp daily driver.

All that said, Bleh. It's as we feared, Lightning is just an EV designation now. Oh well. It's at least generated a lot of conversation for me the past couple of weeks as people who know what my hobbies are.

The only hope now is they come out with a standard cab short bed “performance” version down the road but I doubt they will because I’m sure everything would change with a shorter frame.

I think a standard cab version would handle great with the independent rear suspension and low center of gravity.

The only hope now is they come out with a standard cab short bed “performance” version down the road but I doubt they will because I’m sure everything would change with a shorter frame.

I think a standard cab version would handle great with the independent rear suspension and low center of gravity.

Agreed. Would love to see them offer a scsb Ford Performance edition. I can see Dodge SRT offering a Ram Charger "Demonio eléctrico" with a gas electric hybrid.

I don't get where some of you guys think EVs are the "far future." If manufacturers and governments are both signaling a phase-out of combustion engine vehicles in the next 15 years, how is that "far"?

I agree with Jamie, until the advent of slow discharge capacitors, EVs will have very limited use as a highway vehicle, and as someone who really isn't a big EV proponent, I could still see owning one as a commuter. You guys have fallen too far into tribalism with pejoratives like "virtue signaling" because there are OBJECTIVE (not subjective) advantages to EVs as commuter vehicles. This is coming from a guy with an 800 hp pickup and a 700 hp daily driver.

All that said, Bleh. It's as we feared, Lightning is just an EV designation now. Oh well. It's at least generated a lot of conversation for me the past couple of weeks as people who know what my hobbies are.

It is FAR future no matter what new administration says...I remember 2020 was the year coal and oil was supposed to be fazed out for electric, it's called a pipe dream. Heck I'm still waiting on a hoverboard lol.

Funny the keystone xl was canceled day one due to going green and the environment...yet Russia was just granted a HUGE oil pipeline to Germany...electric is a newborn and has minimal 30 years to be effective and efficient. The tesla has massive problems and is only swooned upon by the owners who drank the koolaid, can it be amazing? Yes!! but face facts, it's not there and wont be for the foreseeable future just like this "lightning".This is kind of like wearing a mask outdoors, useless. so until they get reliable and can actually be effective as a daily driver AND road trip travel vehicle you can keep it. It's kind of ridiculous you'll have to find a charging station powered by fueled by fossil fuels to get your car/truck powered.

That is what the biggest scam is about “going green”

Exactly Elon quit taking bit coin because the mining process uses electricity. And I was thinking so does your cars?

Also a lot of people think it cost nothing to charge these. Here it's about $16 to home charge a full charge. Not free. I had one guy buy a volt then complain he couldn't charge it on base (navy yard) for free while he was at work.

The thing about electricity is that it can be produced using a few different methods unlike gas.
We are at the infancy of electric cars,yet some of then can go 400 miles.That nothing to sneeze at. Give it time, it will get better.
Another myth is that it takes an hour to charge every time on a road trip. Charging for 10 minutes while i go take a leak or buy a few snacks gets me over 100 miles of range

Back