Steps in the Right Direction - Build Thread for my two Lightnings

This is definitely boost weather. traction.....not so much. I have done the same thing as you. started a 6. now at 12. I can't see going back down.

Man, this cooler weather has me and the turbo both extremely happy. I fiddled around with the truck yesterday and turned the boost control turned off for a minute, which makes it run on just the wastegate spring (6-7 psi), and it made it clear how much progress I've made since I drove the ride to NC a little less than a year and a little over 3000 miles ago. Definitely much more entertaining at 12 psi - and in real terms, it's no slouch at 6.

Took mine out for a nice cool weather romp yesterday too. Except I was on 20 psi lol.

I don't intend to run that much boost this year. Target is to sneak up on 16 at Spookfest.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I don't intend to run that much boost this year. Target is to sneak up on 16 at Spookfest.

Yeah I probably need to back mine down to that on the street especially with the mileage on my stock bottom end. Was just out testing. Injector duty cycle got to like 116% so I'm limited.

Yeah I probably need to back mine down to that on the street especially with the mileage on my stock bottom end. Was just out testing. Injector duty cycle got to like 116% so I'm limited.

You’re making some steam at 116% dc on ID1050’s

Any guesses on what it'll run at SF with the cool air?

Just a guess since I'm on a much tighter converter than I used to be, so I don't expect it to leave with much enthusiasm. I'll be happy anywhere in the lower half of the 11s at 125 or so. It may walk right past that, but I'm trying to set my expectations as something realistic for my first outing with the truck in 13 years. I haven't made a pass in any vehicle in over two years, so I'm a little short on seat time. And I'm driving there, and need to drive it home, so I really need the heads to stay on the block!

I drove around on the new Mickeys some on Sunday, and it feels great on them. Driver's side gets into the outer lip of the fender a little, but it seems to be more of a rub than a cut a this point.

I'm also really curious to see if I run into the spark issue I had before when I start to turn the boost up.

ET Street R, 295/65R15s (3558s). I put them on my old Centerline 10.5"ers. They only have 5.25" of backspacing because when I got them I was more concerned with keeping the 325s off the inner fender. I sure wish I had that extra quarter inch of backspacing now! Or a half inch.

ET Street R, 295/65R15s (3558s). I put them on my old Centerline 10.5"ers. They only have 5.25" of backspacing because when I got them I was more concerned with keeping the 325s off the inner fender. I sure wish I had that extra quarter inch of backspacing now! Or a half inch.

I’m running this tire now. So far have been really impressed with it over the old radial. Have been multiple .30 sixty foots and they work well holding the power on the street too.

I just gotta set of them too...

I can image with the 393 displacement and that turbo, 16psi should make a good amount of power. Those new G series are supposed to be the latest and greatest in turbo technology. I know the auto/converter messes with it a bit but how are you liking the spool up? Do you have an estimated power based on fuel consumption from your logs? I've never messed with the HP calculator stuff

assuming you'll be on race gas or E for the 16psi?

Race gas. I intend to start working on a flex fuel tune over the winter.

Boost threshold with the 1.01 hot side is somewhere in the neighborhood of 3300-3400, and then from transition to 12 psi takes ~.75 seconds. I wouldn't mind a little lower threshold just for the launch, but since I usually cruise around in D, it hits pretty hard and fast when it downshifts.

The datalog HP estimator is all over the place even when the acceleration looks pretty clean to me, and I actually hardly ever go full WOT for more than a couple of seconds. 75-80% throttle a lot. Napkin math says somewhere between 650-700 hp at 12 psi, and should be right around 800 hp at 16 psi.

You’re making some steam at 116% dc on ID1050’s

Yeah I think so. Time in my signature was on 17lbs of boost. Duty cycle was upper 80's on that pass. 20.8lbs of boost at that duty cycle number of 116%. Unless I up base pressure I think that's as far as I will go. Stock motor is only going to live so long. I know I can knock the 315/60 radial Pro's off at 50mph lol. Estimates put it around 800hp I think

Cruising home from work.
7b5a893e6adc7f854cd4162e16e2a9c1.jpg

Last edited:
My 393 was 800 to tires at 14 psi

16 should make pretty good

Plus with pimp x should spool up good. Id say u be surprised

And slow94 is on e85 so he is using alot more fuel

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Mine isn't that strong. Outdated, smog legal hardware is done by 5500 rpms. The tuning and the turbo are improvements since the last outing, and it doesn't have cats anymore, but the rest of the engine compartment has stayed the same.

Eventually I'll put together something more interesting.

So weird the way the pillar looks in the Tapatalk picture. Both of the pods are painted to exactly match the pillar and the texture is pretty smooth, not that really grainy look in the picture.

Last edited:
Back