Steps in the Right Direction - Build Thread for my two Lightnings

Back on the road for two years today after a more or less 9 year break (I had gotten it running again during that layoff, but almost immediately melted a piston).

So glad to have it again. I've been out celebrating by driving the paint off of it today.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Awesome! That what they’re for

Won't be until after spookfest. Budget is done for the time being.

I'm going to put it on bare for a bit to see how I feel about the dark gray on the red, and if it works, I'm going to have the hood done satin black, along with the tube bumper (I currently have the tube bumper coated with black Plasti-Dip to test the look). I'm really iffy at this point about trying to get a good match on the red. I'm hoping with all the extra black trim on the Powerstroke bumper that it's a look that will work.

I have read this thread several times and I guess I’m not seeing it, but what brand hood is that?

Sorry about that, it's a Glasstek.

I realized yesterday that there are several vague statements in my posts because of the tie-in to other threads on the forum. I hadn't noticed the one about the hood yet.

No Problem, I really like the wider cowl for our trucks but hadn’t been able to find one.

You said you put it on but it needed to be trimmed/fitted, how bad or good was it? I know they all need some work on edges but how did surfaces look?

Compared to a Cervini's, it definitely needs some prep work. It's not bad and the surfaces all look really good in terms of flatness, but there's some coarse spots in the coat.

The main place it has to be trimmed is at the rear to get fitted so it will open/close with the cowl, the weather strip and the AC hose. The sides need some trimming, too. I want to leave as much material as possible so that it's stiff.

I want to add a metal reinforcement that reaches well into the hood for the latch to engage.

Jeff, is it all Fiberglass, or is it a fiberglass skin over metal inner structure? Looking at the picture the inner structure looks like stamped metal...

It's all glass. They obviously used an impression of the bottom of the stock hood to make the form. You can even see where they covered some of the holes with tape before making the form.

I'm going to put it on bare for a bit to see how I feel about the dark gray on the red, and if it works, I'm going to have the hood done satin black, along with the tube bumper (I currently have the tube bumper coated with black Plasti-Dip to test the look). I'm really iffy at this point about trying to get a good match on the red. I'm hoping with all the extra black trim on the Powerstroke bumper that it's a look that will work.
Yes carbon fiber wrap on hood and rear tube will be tits :)
Lol

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Figured I should include some details of what the total combo is:
- 1995 Lightning, not many options. Keyless, Anti-Theft, rear slider, I think that's it. I bought it in the spring of '96
- 393 ci, OE block bored .030 over, Scat cast crank, Eagle 4340 H-beams, custom CP pistons for 8.5:1 compression, DSS girdle
- AFR 1420 185s (72cc chamber), as-sold intake porting, custom exhaust porting, stud mount, upgraded valve springs and titanium retainers
- Cam Motion custom hydraulic roller cam, 221/.545 intake, 226/.523 exhaust, 114 lsa, TFS 1.6 ratio stud-mount rockers
- GT40 intake, ExtrudeHone lower
- All screwed together with ARP studs
- Sumped rear tank, stock front tank that pumps into the rear tank with the selector switched
- Twin Deatschwerks 350 fuel pumps, FORE check valves, AN8 feed, AN6 return
- Aeromotive fuel rails, Hyperfuel compact regulator
- FID 1000cc injectors
- Modified Silver State turbo setup, Garret G42-1200C turbo, Magnaflow muffler
- ATO max effort E4OD and 2400 stall torque converter
- PimpxShift ECU
- Eaton TrueTrac, Strange axles, TA differential cover
- Rancho Torque Arms with custom graphite-impregnated Delrin bushings
- DJM Dream Beams, hangers and shackles
- Eibach Pro-Kit front springs
- E150 front brake conversion
- A bunch of Energy Suspension bushings to install when I get around to it
- Auto Meter boost, AFR, oil pressure and fuel pressure gauges
- Dual Spal 13" puller fans in a custom aluminum shroud

I think that about sums it up for the good stuff!

Last edited:
Herman has a silverstate kit. He's cut up and modified

Made 1104 to wheels last week

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

For a bolt on kit, it was really well done and the craftsmanship was superb. Their ability to handle the business aspect of it, though, was terrible and a complete embarrassment to me after I had promoted them.

Man, this cooler weather has me and the turbo both extremely happy. I fiddled around with the truck yesterday and turned the boost control turned off for a minute, which makes it run on just the wastegate spring (6-7 psi), and it made it clear how much progress I've made since I drove the ride to NC a little less than a year and a little over 3000 miles ago. Definitely much more entertaining at 12 psi - and in real terms, it's no slouch at 6.

Back