Factory Big Brake Kit

So I was looking at the gap between the calipers and the 18" wheel and it's not much, barely a 1". Anyone with stock wheels may have to do some modifing.If your thinking about 14" rotors the 18's probaly would need modifing.

So I was looking at the gap between the calipers and the 18" wheel and it's not much, barely a 1". Anyone with stock wheels may have to do some modifing.If your thinking about 14" rotors the 18's probaly would need modifing.

Damn... I only have the stock wheels as of now, but they are still good enough on tire to last a while. Do you think a little bit of grinding on the caliper would keep them from interfering with each other? Do you have any Gen 1 wheels you could borrow to check fitment? I could possibly make the trip with one if you are willing to check it out. I'd like to have them fit under the stock wheels for that "factory" look.

Thanks I appreciate it. I don't want to get everything installed and not have any wheels I can put on it. That would be a nice surprise:scared1:

Even the guys using the TCE Gen l brakes have to do some trimming I dont forsee any issues a dieginder wont fix.

Most of the original TCE kits required some grinding on the passenger side caliper to keep the stock wheel from machining the caliper while you were driving. I had to do this as well as Jeff Sparkman and few others that used be on this board.

Most of the original TCE kits required some grinding on the passenger side caliper to keep the stock wheel from machining the caliper while you were driving. I had to do this as well as Jeff Sparkman and few others that used be on this board.

Mine bolted on. No Problem's. What did you have to Grind? N/M Just re-read your post. Mine went on fine.

When I spoke with Jeff he never mentioned having to grind on anything.

Yeah, he had a couple shiny spots on the caliper from the stock wheels. Even with shimming the caliper as far in board as we could, there were still issues. It didnt keep you from driving the truck or anything. I had the problem, and Bmarco had it as well as I remember.

OK I'm back, you will need to trim the caliper bracket. I could not get the stock rim to turn when the luggs went on,we added a 1/8 washer to all the studs and the wheel rotated clearing the bracket, it looks like very minimal trimming is required. The outer part of the bracket that touches is the thickest and tapers thinner so there is plenty of material to trim.the 2004 caliper did not touch the wheel any where else.

Last edited:
So Im guessing a 15" race wheel has no chance of clearing this brake upgrade. I have 15" Centerlines on my truck all the time. Would like some more stopping power.

So Im guessing a 15" race wheel has no chance of clearing this brake upgrade. I have 15" Centerlines on my truck all the time. Would like some more stopping power.

You need some go power lol. Just messing with you. I guess we are maxed out with the stock stuff and 15s. My dads Racelines hit the caliper when we bought them thats why we had 1.5" taken out of the inside. They were 15x7 with 5.5" bs. Maybe better pads and rotors will help out.

assuming the funds are available, ill probably be attempting this and a rear disk conversion this spring also.

So I just got back from getting my Lightning aligned.....They had to change the camber adjusting eccentric. To do this they had to remove the caliper/bracket to get to the lock bolt to get it done. Heres how the numbers came out camber left side and reight 1/4- caster on the right was 6 1/4 + the left was 5 3/4 + and 1/32 toe. The front right camber bushing was 3 1/2 left was 2 1/4. They also replaced the bolt that holds the camber nut in place cause the threads were worn out. The trucks steers staright not pulling to the right like when everthing went on. Now my truck is lowered and has 99 wheels.

big_front_brakes_0051.jpg
big_front_brakes_003.jpg
I got a set of Willwoods from Roy to see how they needed to be modified to fit the 2004 spindles. With some grinding I should be able to get them to fit. I'll get the bracket done next.

Did the camber cams have to be replaced just for alignment purposes, or because 92-95 eccentrics won't fit the 04 ball joint stud?

Back