Factory Big Brake Kit

Ya, but the likelihood of a Pull-a-Part yard having a 2004-2007 E150 is extremely rare and probably impossible, Those vehicles are selling for a bout $2,500 to 4,000 at the wrecked auctions.

If you can sell me a a complete front setup for $250 I'll buy it today. That would put about $166 in your pocket. I'll pay you for the disc rear 8.8 stuff too.

Yea, you are right!! I had checked for the proper years a day or two after this idea first surfaced and I couldn't find anything newer than a 2000. I am going back to that same yard today to look though. I have bountiful options for pull yer own and junkyards around these parts so, maybe I can find something. I have about 4 large pull yer owns within a 20 minute ride and many,many auto recyclers within that same limit.

This may just be me but has any thought that the master cyl be to small? with the that extra volume that is needed with the duel piston calipers.

but so far it sounds like a good mod.

I've contributed a couple of comments elsewhere on this thread but though I might help and summarize them here for everyone.

1. Cutting off the ears of the stock spindles may allow for a larger rotor to fit but those ears are also the load path of the braking. The calipers are not truly held in place by the small bolts. They'd shear in due time under load. The ears are the locking mechanism that secures the caliper.

2. The calipers shown in the above pic are 'new' style in that the slider cage/bracket bolts to the spindle. You'll note the bolts are quite a bit larger. Here the load path is into the bracket then through the bolt to the spindle. I don't think you'd find an easy way to put those bolt holes in a modified spindle.

3. Piston sizing may be an issue. I have not yet heard the size of the pistons on the van calipers. I'm guessing 2 x 2.0" which was popular on some later trucks too. To know what you have someone needs to calculate the area of the old single piston vs the new one. Being larger I suspect you may need to consider a larger bore mc for this as well. This will do a few things; first it will lower the pressure going into the caliper, shorten the travel on the pedal and firm up the 'feel' or response.

4. Lastly has anyone compared the configuration of the spindle to the stock part? Is the steering arm height, length and angle the same? All that will effect bump-steer and ackerman. You may also want/need to weld up the steering stops as I have done at times - the Lite has larger ones to prevent the wheel from turning in too far and rubbing the inner fender. The bj change seems simple enough, but does the spindle height remain the same? Is the offset of the spindle the same? Is the height of the hub the same or is the wheel pushed in/out more than stock?

May well be doable but there are some considerations beyond the rotor to look at is all I'm considering. Good luck on all of it and keep us all posted!

just thought i'd mention that i own a 05 e150, if you need me to check or photo anything. As much as i'd like to help i can't tear it apart and assemble on my Lightning, as i use the van for work, but if it helps??

While I'm wating for the spindles I thought I'd paint up the rotors a bracket.
big_front_brakes_004.jpg

Are you able to measure the piston diameter and a piston on a stock L caliper? It would be interesting to see how much of a increase there is in pistion area.

does anyone want to get me the setup from their local yard and ship em to me? im having trouble finding em around here and i REALLY want to do this.

Those spindles had the ball joints on there, everything looks like it was a low mileage vehicle. I'm planning on having it swapped on monday my day off so I can take lots of pictures.
It looks like swapping wilwood racing calipers may just take a adptor that bolts to the spindle and work with the bigger rotor.

Almost like and mid run spindle. Some of the old style with some of the 2G format in with it. What's the bolt center on them for the caliper; 150mm, with 14mm bolts??

this happens RIGHT as the truck goes in the garage, AND its in need of new brakes..

if we can 100% confirm fitment of these brakes, i would be willing to make a FULL writeup/possible video for this conversion

6" center to center 1/2 bolts.

150= 5.9" My guess, still 150.
Surprised to find smaller bolts than expected. SAE threads....hmm, doubt it. M12 or M12 all but guaranteed.

What's my angle? Well...if this info is correct there's a remote option that this same spindle would take my bracket for a 13" kit. And maybe the radial mount 14" as well. Interesting thought on how to get the big kit on the 1G truck.

Back