Pro Turbo Systems - Install

PearlBlue L said:
im just saying, alot use 16's at the track and it would not be good in the pit to hit something.. or for the DD's that have small front tires like myself

Wheel diameter has nothing to do with ground clearance but TIRE diameter does!!

If his tire Dia. is 30in. and yours is 28 then all other things being equal, you have 1in. less ground clearance than he does and if you have things 3 to 4 inches in dia. to run over at your track, then I would suggest going to another track.

Roy

Frank5L said:
Jody, 15s are EASY to put on the front, its the rear that's a PITA. Its because the parking drum brake setup.

I thought it was because you GenII guys had 12in. rotors in front and 13in. rotors in back.

Roy

When we started this adventure I knew that the turbo for the F150 would be popular.

I had no Idea it would be this popular. As many know my truck was the first, and I must say we have had some growing pains during the process. Most of the bugs are worked out of the system and quality has dramatically improved.

I must give Dalton and Greg special thanks. I approched them over a year ago to produce this kit. Man I am so glad that I did, as I am sure they are as well.

I know some have issues with the build time on these systems. This is due to the fact we are still giving them input on changes etc. Once all of the bugs are worked out, the build times will drop. Also I will be stocking kits as I am sure JL will as well.

sorry to be a little off topic but what size exhaust piping are you running with the turbo setups, In my case I have true duals right now and plan on keeping it that way and y'ing it off the downpipe, would dual 3" be to much or would that work out alright? Thanks ~Trent

I'm just running what came with the kit + standard L Bassani catback. So that's the 3" dp going into two 2.5" pipes/Bassani X/Bassani muffler/Bassani tail pipes.

I'll probably look into a 4" dp when I've exhausted everything else (no pun intended). But, not planning to swap out the 2.5" exhaust anytime soon unless there are clear advantages to doing so.

So your running fine with 650rwhp and dual 2.5"? Good to know I will probably stay with the 2.5" then. If you switch to the 4" downpipe are you gonna have to upgrade to dual 3" pipes all the way back? If you haven't already gotten your electronic boost controller, the hks one is good but so is the apexi avc-r, its the one I looked into when I finally get the turbo, and lastly, I would love to hear a sound clip of the bassani's if you've got one :) Thanks for the help ~Trent

BTW, did they change the sizing on the headers for the lightning turbo kits compared to the normal f150 kits, because if not I would keep your eyes watching your headers for leaks at the collector. A friend of mine up here in Lubbock has their kit for the normal F150 and is on header number 3, he ended up buying a spare after it wore out the second time because the turn around time, granted they are lifetime warranted, was almost 2 months to get his header back to him. Just a heads up. He told me on this last replacement header that they were supposedly changing the headers to fix the issue and I haven't had a chance to talk to him again recently to see if it was resolved

The headers are cracking because of the motor movement. I solved my issue with a motor limiter. I know Phillip has one on his, but he still allows for movement. I don't, plus The motor is still smoth because of the rubber mounts.

limiter.JPG

Yep, my limitations are not because of the dual 2.5" pipes... I'm pretty sure that the 3" downpipe size and the dinky air filter is much more of a limitation than the exhaust pipe diameter.

I'm planning to switch to a 4" downpipe when one's available or if I can have it fabricated for me, but I'll leave the 2.5" catback in place. I'm not saying that 3" pipes might not help. Its just a matter of is it going to net me 5 rwhp or 30 rwhp?

The header quality seemed top notch to me. I'm not sure what the other headers looked like that your friend had. But these seemed as well built as long tube headers that I've seen - if not better since the flanges on the thing were seriously beefy.

For the boost controller, I'm using the one that's part of the maf translator pro unit that I'm trying to get to work.

Mark: Are they just basically rubber motor mounts or what? where could I pick some up? BTW, we need new vids of your truck man! :) I haven't ridden in it since you upgraded turbos and put the new tranny in, which hopefully, I'll have the monster box in april for mine

airtroop01: Keep us posted on the maf translator and the total cost to make it work also if you wouldn't mind. Thanks again ~Trent

yes the stock motor mounts are just rubber. I could not find any solid mounts, so I made the bar setup with the hime joint. This allows me to connect the motor to the frame and I can preload it. This keeps the motor from kicking left or right during acel or decel. Cool part is it retains the stock rubber mounts so you do not get the vibration of solid mounts. best of both worlds I guess.

also should have the truck back by the end of the week or the first of next week. I would be glad to take you for a ride in it. I am having a new TQ put in it. Actually they are putting in a whole new tranny. Jasper wants the whole unit to see what failed. I am the first to break a 4r70w monster box. However it was not the tranny just the converter and we think it was just bad. The clutch material is breaking off. They wanted the whole unit to break apart and inspect to see if there are any weak points, since I am also the only one putting darn near 800 hp through it.

So I will still say this tranny is top notch. I know how to kill a tranny and I have not been nice to this one by any means, yet it still takes the abuse. Like I said not really a failure, just a bad batch of clutch material

I'd like to check out that bar setup when I'm in dfw again later this month or early next month depends on when I have a chance to get home, how difficult are we talking for the intall?

Back