ZF5 in Lightning

RPM289

Paid NLOC Member
I Support the NLOC
Has anyone done this? They should hold torque of 351 much easier install too. Thoughts good and bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

probably plenty strong but I think the 4wd ones have granny first (unsure about 2wd) so you'd be taking off in second. They do shift "ok" but will always have a "truck" feel compared to a "performance" feel. but should have info to make the swap happen as the F150 guys have done it before.

You'll like an M5OD better if you want to stick to an OE Ford option. The ZF is plenty stout, but they all shift like a dump trump. Not as bad as a COE, but not sporty at all. As mentioned, the gear ratios suck. The gas versions have a 5.72 first gear followed by a 2.94 second gear, a difference of 95%. First is way too low and second is way too high. The Diesel ratios are much better at 4.14 and 2.37. I was considering a ZF for my truck and thought about trying to put the Diesel gears in a gas case, but I don't know if that will work or not. For comparison, the M5OD has a 3.90 first and 2.25 second. The M5OD has a bad reputation as being weak, but ask the people who say that how many they've seen outright fail for a reason other than running them out of fluid. Very few. I've never seen or heard of one. Once you replace the rubber plugs in the shifter housing with metal cup plugs to keep the fluid in them they are fine.

I have an F350 with a ZF and installing one in a Bronco atm. Definitely a "truck" transmission,not one that can be shifted quickly. I vote T56 if the budget allows.

You'll like an M5OD better if you want to stick to an OE Ford option. The ZF is plenty stout, but they all shift like a dump trump. Not as bad as a COE, but not sporty at all. As mentioned, the gear ratios suck. The gas versions have a 5.72 first gear followed by a 2.94 second gear, a difference of 95%. First is way too low and second is way too high. The Diesel ratios are much better at 4.14 and 2.37. I was considering a ZF for my truck and thought about trying to put the Diesel gears in a gas case, but I don't know if that will work or not. For comparison, the M5OD has a 3.90 first and 2.25 second. The M5OD has a bad reputation as being weak, but ask the people who say that how many they've seen outright fail for a reason other than running them out of fluid. Very few. I've never seen or heard of one. Once you replace the rubber plugs in the shifter housing with metal cup plugs to keep the fluid in them they are fine.

I’m thinking about trying one buddy was mean to one in a modified 302 truck he never broke it.

I have an F350 with a ZF and installing one in a Bronco atm. Definitely a "truck" transmission,not one that can be shifted quickly. I vote T56 if the budget allows.

I wish I could afford a T56! Maybe a future upgrade!

I’m thinking about trying one buddy was mean to one in a modified 302 truck he never broke it.

For a truck I think they're a pretty good compromise. You can still tow and haul with it if needed, but it can also be fun to drive. And there's a Hurst shifter available for it. Through a company called Core. IIRC, they bought the Hurst design when Hurst decided not to make them any more.

For a truck I think they're a pretty good compromise. You can still tow and haul with it if needed, but it can also be fun to drive. And there's a Hurst shifter available for it. Through a company called Core. IIRC, they bought the Hurst design when Hurst decided not to make them any more.
I'll look them up I may have found a M50D tranny for $100 unknown condition so if he still has it I'm going to grab it.

Can't find Core IIRC? Bunch of junk shows up you have website by chance?

Can't find Core IIRC? Bunch of junk shows up you have website by chance?

Back