World's Fastest Lightnings (TOP 15)

Ralph and Dwight. There are so many awsome lightning getting bumped off of the list can we make it a "Top 20"?

This list is just plain Sick!!!

Also I just noticed the displacement is wrong on CaLightning - Steve Coopers pickup. His is a 5.4, not sure if it's bored over any or not? FFS

Ralph and Dwight. There are so many awsome lightning getting bumped off of the list can we make it a "Top 20"?

This list is just plain Sick!!!

I can't Jamie because I'm not 100% sure on the top 20.... but I am sure of the Top 15! I have been following these ET.'s since 1999. Guys back in the day like Jason Brown, Norman Briggs, Jim Gilbert, Kurt Walker, Robert Vajerian, & more who I can't think of there names right now, who started all this. These Guys ALL ran in the 9's & Faster in the mid - late 90's.... ;k:eek:ldtu:
The greatest story I ever heard about Pro Lightning Racing was from Jason Brown back in 1995. Jason had a new '95 Red Lightning bone stock with a few hundred miles on it. He goes to Moroso Raceway one night & see's (3) Pro Lightnings Racing. One is Norman Briggs Black '93 against Kurt Walker's black '93. Jason said they both ran 10.50 side by side that night & other guy who's name I can't remember right now had a red '93 that ran 10.30 All these trucks ended up running 8's & 9's and Jason Brown running 7's by 1999-2000 year. These (4) guys All lived 50 miles from one another in South Florida ! Back in '98 Jason's joke to Norman Briggs was your truck runs 9's & your not even the Fastest Lightning in town! I could write a book about this stuff!

Last edited:
I can't Jamie because I'm not 100% sure on the top 20.... but I am sure of the Top 15! I have been following these ET.'s since 1999. Guys back in the day like Jason Brown, Norman Briggs, Jim Gilbert, Kurt Walker, Robert Vajerian, & more who I can't think of there names right now, who started all this. These Guys ALL ran in the 9's & Faster in the mid - late 90's.... ;k:eek:ldtu:

i would love to see some of those trucks mainly jason browns with todays electronics and turbos and trannys.. 6 sec gen 1 anyone;)

Ralph, we need to get Jason to try and remember these guys names and try and figure out all there times. We have to know some of the top 20 though. There are a couple guys that were in the top 15 that got bumped out! There are just so many fast trucks I like big lists!

I put in some of the best pics I have of all 15 trucks. If you can find me a better pic of Mike James truck I'll add it later.

I agree that something is better then nothing for sure. With all the fast times mike has run someone has to have a pict of it launching. I have one but it's from far away and the tree is in the way.

Ralph, can you email Jason for him to send you any picts from the old days of him and the other guys racing?

I agree that something is better then nothing for sure. With all the fast times mike has run someone has to have a pict of it launching. I have one but it's from far away and the tree is in the way.

Ralph, can you email Jason for him to send you any picts from the old days of him and the other guys racing?

I called but he wasn't home. The other guy who lived in Florida's name was Bob McNairy 9.66 @ 136 mph ['93 Red] (Sold)('98). This guys truck was in MM&FF Magazine back in 2000. It had a 393 stroker motor with a 400 hp. Fogger system in the bed. This guy went to jail & the truck was never seen again.
When I hear back from Jason I'll post up again.

Last edited:
Here is the proper spelling of the other guys name from California. This guy owned a performance shop called Fast Track Performance & he had a 347 Stroker motor with Vortech XX Mondo Blower. He went to Metro Ford in CA. & talked to the owner who was a friend of his & they donated a truck to race at the first WFC!!!
Robert Varoujanian drove the Metro Ford Lightning powered by a Fast Track Performance powerplant to a 9.70 E.T. @ 138 m.p.h. in Kentucky on May 15, 1998 to win the Pro Lightning class at the Mobil 1 World Ford Challenge.
Varoujanian's Metro Ford Lightning was also in MM&FF Magazine back in 2001. When you look at the interior pictures the truck had crank windows & No power door locks. This makes me believe that this truck infact was never a "real Lightning". I was told from Jason Brown that when guys wanted to see inside his truck at WFC Robert didn't want anyone near it!

7 second club

7.93@175.02 :cool:

I was gonna call you Ralph but it was a little late. Wrenched all day changing the rear gear and general maintenance. Rushed to the track and promised myself that I would put it in the trailer if it went 7 anything. One pass was all it took. Time for more cage and drop another 200# or so.

photo.jpg

Last edited:
Two trucks moved up (down :)) in the list this week . Eric "dowheelies" and Steve "Calingtnin". Congrats to both on their impressive runs.

Back