Will FTVB fix my slipping tranny?

stylin99

E85 Guru
I just bought an 02 L with 40k miles. At full throttle, I've noticed what feels like the tranny slipping, more noticeably in 2nd or 3rd gear. It's fine around town and only shows itself during WOT.

Is there a chance that the FTVB mod and a fluid flush will "save" it? Or is it already wasted?

The truck is nearly bone stock (only an air intake kit). I plan to tow my Mustang in the next 2 months and I'm worried it won't hold up to towing 5000 lbs.

And yes, before you say use the search feature, I've been there and learned the basics, but can't tell if my situation calls for a new tranny, or if I can save the one I have.

it could be your supercharger belt slipping. check to see if you have black dust on the bottom side of the blower snout.

I didn't see any at last check but I'll look closer. The engine is nearly stock and the belt is in good shape. Is that typical for belts to slip on these things with stock pulleys?

you sure it is not torque modulation kickin in...the notorious Fart SHift that is a known thing with these trannies?

With stock pulleys i was seeing belt dust, but my blower belt was really old. I installed an aux idler and new stock length gatorback belt. No more slip. :)

What do you guys make of this? Burnt pulleys? 2 of my pulleys have obvious belt burn marks on them, yet the one closer to the passenger side is fine. Belt slip?

typically belt slip is when the belt slips on upper SC Snout pulley (more Common) or lower crank pulley....

That appears to be belt slip but not the common form of it....looks like your stock pullies are not free spinnin very much......drop the SC belt....take the pullies off (Should be 13mm) and then give them a spin in your hand. They should spin freely maybe 2 or so revolutions....

Sounds like a good time to upgrade to some nice shiney aftermarket pullies.....

it can't be normal. his pulleys look terrible, just like mine. i added a metco style aux idler and a new gatorback belt. we'll see if the new pulley shows any marks like the factory steel ones.

Looks more like wear marks to me. The paint of the pulleys is going to wear off sooner or later. And there is really not lot of belt contact on the idlers.

i think his pullies are fine. dont put any idler pullies on till you decide to go with a crank pulley setup or something. thats just normal wear a tear for any daily driver vehicle.theres no reason your belt would slip, your stock..or if you know anyone else that has a stock L ask to drive theres so you can see if its your truck or if its normal,and are you sure its just not your boost dropping off or something?i just dont think at 40k your trans. is going unless the guy that had it before you beat the **** out of it.

Well, I'm getting a Factory Tech VB put in this saturday, along with a slightly used 4lb pulley setup. :D We'll find out if it gets worse or better.

I'm not sure the tranny was what was slipping. It did fine on the dyno and pulled 357 rwhp and the graph was nice and straight, no weird spikes from slippage at all.

Back