Who would like to see a heads up class at WFC

who wants to see a heads up class at WFC

• heads up class and one bracket class for street lightning

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • heads up class and one bracket class for any lightning who doesn't want to race heads up

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • no thanks I like watching two bracket class for lightnings

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Justin 95L

There was 3 trucks in the 8s thsi year and two in the bottom half of the 9s and there should be more by next year I know most people who go to races in prolightning go to run there best times of the year not to try to win money I think it would be a better show for everyone to see these trucks running all out not on the brakes hard at the end.

PS Jamie if you want to run with us just by a couple of proshot foggers

Last edited:
It may have made sense several yrs ago to run open-comp style in Pro, but not anymore. It just doesn't make sense to have 8 second trucks race bracket style anymore. Then if somebody has a fast truck but doesn't want to race you guys, they can always race open comp or et brackets. But I think there still should be a et limit in s/l. Just my .02

On one hand, I would like to see it stay the way it was this year, just in hopes of me being able to compete next year. But with my selfish statement out of the way, I would much rather see all you guys out there pushing it on every pass than on the brakes. I have never been a fan of bracket racing, so IMO Pro Lightning should be heads up... just like Pro 5.0. But I would like to see another intermediate class for 10-11 sec trucks without throwing them in with the street truck brackets... Just my .02 for whatever its worth.

I think next year you will be able to thro a blanket over quite a few trucks they should be really close so a heads up class would be great.

93AZ-L said:
On one hand, I would like to see it stay the way it was this year, just in hopes of me being able to compete next year. But with my selfish statement out of the way, I would much rather see all you guys out there pushing it on every pass than on the brakes. I have never been a fan of bracket racing, so IMO Pro Lightning should be heads up... just like Pro 5.0. But I would like to see another intermediate class for 10-11 sec trucks without throwing them in with the street truck brackets... Just my .02 for whatever its worth.
What he said for the 10-11 sec trucks.

93AZ-L said:

+1 and this is how L-fest should be!!! :stirpot:

Jody, don't know if you've noticed or not, but that's how LightningFest is.

I really, seriously doubt they'd add another class (I think we'll be lucky to hold on to the ones we have now that they're sponsored by a non-Lightning entity), so there's no reason to really even debate that. Maybe alter it so that there's a "heads up" and a "open comp" class, both are "run what you brung." No weight, transbrake, etc restrictions.

As much as I'd like to see the heads-up action, I don't think it would be all that well attended. It's not like we're racing for $35K like Pro Stock Mustang Whatever It Is Now. So, the 10-11 second trucks would head to street and we're down to maybe 5-6 trucks. All discussions about who might be building what really doesn't matter since we can't race plans.

I told everyone I was going out there and putting my foot to the floor, bracket racing be damned. I'll be running heads-up at L-Fest, too - I'll take my beating like a man. ;)

FMOS Racing said:
Jody, don't know if you've noticed or not, but that's how LightningFest is.

I really, seriously doubt they'd add another class (I think we'll be lucky to hold on to the ones we have now that they're sponsored by a non-Lightning entity), so there's no reason to really even debate that. Maybe alter it so that there's a "heads up" and a "open comp" class, both are "run what you brung." No weight, transbrake, etc restrictions.

As much as I'd like to see the heads-up action, I don't think it would be all that well attended. It's not like we're racing for $35K like Pro Stock Mustang Whatever It Is Now. So, the 10-11 second trucks would head to street and we're down to maybe 5-6 trucks. All discussions about who might be building what really doesn't matter since we can't race plans.

I told everyone I was going out there and putting my foot to the floor, bracket racing be damned. I'll be running heads-up at L-Fest, too - I'll take my beating like a man. ;)

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!
:bigtu:

Ditto what Jeff said. LightningFest has 3 classes:
  • Pro Truck - Heads Up, run what you brung. The only rules are the truck must have a Lightning or Harley Truck VIN...past that, there ARE NO RULES!
  • Pro Street Lightning/HD - Bracket racing, 12.99 and faster
  • Street Lightning/HD - Bracket racing, 13.00 and slower

Also, lest we forget, there is a True Street Lightning/HD Truck class and the Ford Diesel Drag classes.

The 1998 Mobil 1 World Ford Challenge Pro Lightning class was Heads-Up Run what you brung. WFC2 Pro Lightning was also a Heads-Up class. In 2000 Jason Brown built a truck that was 7 years ahead of everyone else to compete so Sal Mennela from PSP decided to turn Pro Lightning into a bracket class so more than 1 guy could be competitive in the class. We now turn the clocks 6 years later in time.
We now have Justin Embrey leading the pack with a 8.51, Me with a 8.56 & Jerry Skinner with a 8.57. Duckett's truck has a better motor going in for Lightningfest so you know he will also be right there. Johnny Lightning will be running 8's & if Sparkman decides to go with a nice intercooler & transbrake he too will be in the 8's.....(that's 6 trucks)
Then there is Mike James, Ray Johnson, Frank5L, Jim D'Amore, Dave Pickrel, Charlie Stanley, Dave London, Dale (BadasL),Gary Soulages & some more. (that's 9+ more trucks) Pro Lightning is Now more competitive than ever!!! This class could happen if we talk to the Guy from Ford Performance Truck magazine to Sponsor the class next year.
I've said it 1,000 times before & I'll say it again. Any NMRA event, Fun Ford event, WFC event, NHRA event, IHRA event, or whatever kinda Racing wants to see the Top cars or trucks go Heads-Up. This puts FANS IN THE STANDS!!! The People @ All these race events want to see it & I want to see it! :clinkmugs

Ralph Voorhees

Last edited:
FMOS Racing said:
As much as I'd like to see the heads-up action, I don't think it would be all that well attended. It's not like we're racing for $35K like Pro Stock Mustang Whatever It Is Now. So, the 10-11 second trucks would head to street and we're down to maybe 5-6 trucks.

I agree 100%.

When I come to the L-Fest, I hope to be dipping into the high 9's and plan on running it heads up, even thought I know I don't have a chance in he!! of winning. There's probably going to be 6 or 7 trucks that will be running faster than I am. I just think my truck fits into the Pro class much more than in ProStreet

With the Lightning not being in production anymore, I look for the class (especially Pro) to turn into a regular open to any "Ford Truck" truck class rather than the Lightning/Harley specific one that it is now,.......... as long as they can qualify.

I could be wrong though.

Lightning Ralph said:
The 1998 Mobil 1 World Ford Challenge Pro Lightning class was Heads-Up Run what you brung. WFC2 Pro Lightning was also a Heads-Up class. In 2000 Jason Brown built a truck that was 7 years ahead of everyone else to compete so Sal Mennela from PSP decided to turn Pro Lightning into a bracket class so more than 1 guy could be competitive in the class. We now turn the clocks 6 years later in time.
We now have Justin Embrey leading the pack with a 8.51, Me with a 8.56 & Jerry Skinner with a 8.57. Duckett's truck has a better motor going in for Lightningfest so you know he will also be right there. Johnny Lightning will be running 8's & if Sparkman decides to go with a nice intercooler & transbrake he too will be in the 8's.....(that's 6 trucks)
Then there is Mike James, Ray Johnson, Frank5L, Jim D'Amore, Dave Pickrel, Charlie Stanley, Dave London, Dale (BadasL),Gary Soulages & some more. (that's 9+ more trucks) Pro Lightning is Now more competitive than ever!!! This class could happen if we talk to the Guy from Ford Performance Truck magazine to Sponsor the class next year.
I've said it 1,000 times before & I'll say it again. Any NMRA event, Fun Ford event, WFC event, NHRA event, IHRA event, or whatever kinda Racing wants to see the Top cars or trucks go Heads-Up. This puts FANS IN THE STANDS!!! The People @ All these race events want to see it & I want to see it! :clinkmugs

Ralph Voorhees
+1

Well like Jeff says, you can't race plans.

The one thing I don't like about the way its setup now, a truck that runs 160+ is chasing down a truck that runs 125...

I'm all for making it heads up but there still wont be anybody in the stands at WFC watching unless they move the classes around. Watching bracket racing is boring.

The on good thing is in the pro street you still have a chance to win. But in a low 10 / high 9 sec truck why even bother racing in pro truck the only chance is that the other guy reds or breaks. Although miracles do happen look what happened at WFC .

Exactly, especially if he knew that he was facing a 2 second slower truck in the finals.

jamie v said:
Your in the same boat as me Keith, along with a bunch of other guys. and your asking them to drive hundreds and hundreds of miles to go out in the first round. Why do you think alot of guys with semi fast trucks don't come??

I think that WFC proved that there could be another class (10.00 heads up)

there are 58 gen 2's and 14 gen 1's on our ET list between 11.49 and 9.90 That sure is a big list of possible trucks for another Pro Class besides the 8 second class now.

I 100% agree with Jamie here. It would be great to have another heads up class to 10.0 for the people what either don't want to do the extra safety stuff to run 9s or just haven't gotten there yet. As he pointed out there's a lot of trucks out there that could race eachother very competitively but wouldn't stand a chance of hanging with the big dogs. The only thing about that idea that I am afraid of, is getting people in there with 9.80 trucks set up to bracket race and run 10.0s every pass. IMO, something like that should be a straight up no electronics class... But I also don't know what all you other guys are running that be considered electronics like delay boxes... :buddies:

i agree with jamie, that would be a class allot of us guys could run, I could never afford to turn my truck into a 8 second demon. I would LOVE to be running 8's with all the other guys but that will never happen, realisticaly in my life if I can break 10s it would be awesome, thats why I think jamies idea about the 10.0 class is awesome, like he said 14 gen 1's and 50 something gen 2's that would be great!! but i have no more to say i never attended a lfest

Danny

Unless you have supported LightningFest, you have no right to complain.

You come up with a class sponsor with a couple of grand + payouts, and we will add the class!

Until then, the classes will not change!

I was in no way complaining about L-fest... I'm actually planning on going to watch for the first time this year... Although Lfest did come up, I believe most of the discussion was in reguards to WFC... Im sure we all realize how much work and coordination goes into any one of these events and is in no way taking it for granted... just constructive new ideas... As for sponsors, it feels like everyone is just mulling over the idea and not really motivated to go out and do any work just yet... Like you said, until that happens, nothing will change.

BigD said:
Unless you have supported LightningFest, you have no right to complain.

You come up with a class sponsor with a couple of grand + payouts, and we will add the class!

Until then, the classes will not change!
Sorry Big D I not tring to bring any more heat on you Lighning fest is perfect the way it is.

I was just tring to see if I wanted to persue talking to WFC and or sponser of the prolightning class about changing.

Back