which blower

R

Robert Walton

Hey people I'm new here.I own a red '94 # 1796. I have a question about superchargers. I'm thinking about the Kenne Bell because of it's low end torque. I have a Vortech on my Mustang and I love it to death but the truck needs more torque. Am I correct in my thinking that the Kenne Bell will not pressurize the MAP sensor like a centrifugal will? I'm trying to avoid a costly swap to MAF. Does anybody have any quarter mile times with a stock truck and a Kenne Bell( 15.3 just don't cut it )? Also what do y'all think is the better choice in a shift improver,a chip or a traditional shift kit? Thanks a lot

Hey you dont have to have mass air with a blower lots of people on here keep the stock 19s and no mass air.
I like my powerdyne very well I just ran in the 12.9s this weekend with it and no mass air.I do have a chip and 30s but feel like a wasted 500 bucks there.Didnt pick up any time at all.Plus now it doenst run as smooth as it did surges etc..Wish I could get my money back.
I also have a PA valve body that shifts very good might be to much for most.Its 149.00 plus exchange

Thanks for the info. I can't decide on a Bauman shift kit or PA,sounds like PA might be it. If anyone has any info on the Kenne Bell I would appreciate it. I would just like to be a bit different from the centrifugal crowd.

I know Keith Fromme runs a Kenne Belle on his 93 and loves it. He has a web page check it out in the NLOC site link. He also didnt get any benifit by going with 30's and a chip. Just made it run slower and not as smooth

------------------
94 Crimson.
NLOC member #343
Team Powerdyne, 8psi,bypass
Still waiting for dyno run and 1340

I should point out that the owner of Kenne Bell (Jim Bell) is not easy to deal with. This is not just my opinion, but the opinion of people I know of who have dealt with him.

I used a KB supercharger on my 5.0 for several years, and every 10-15k the oil seals started to leak on the blower. The KB blower was returned for repair three times.

Using a single belt to drive the blower and accessories is a BAD idea. My engine accesories on the driver's side failed frequently. You see, the supercharger load created increased tension on the serpentine belt. This meant that accessories before the supercharger faced increased bearing load from massive amounts of additional belt tension. In all, I replaced three power steering pumps and two broken A/C clutches. I kept spares on my garage shelf just in case, and kept short belts in my car to bypass these accesories so I wouldn't be stranded. What a hassle! Bottom line is that this wouldn't have happened if the blower had its own drive belt.

I don't know if these issues exist with Kenne Bell's Lightning kits, but I do know that I will never buy another KB supercharger again.

[This message has been edited by Russ94 (edited 07-03-2000).]

Back