what should I expect on 20's

20 will kill acceleration, they wont give you good traction...top end, you wont notice the difference especially on the 1/4 mile and if anything it will slow you down. just stick with the 18s or even better get 15s with drag wheels and some good M/T drag radials.

The rim size means nothing for top speed. It is the tire size. Traction is worse with a big rim because the sidewalls are so small. If you watch the dragsters on tv, you can see the sidewalls flexing. On a large wheel, the sidewall has to be short and stiff which means a reduction is traction.

So basically:

Acceleration = down
Top End = depends on tire size
Strain on Transmission = less because you have less traction

SQUIDY said:
So anyone care to answer the real question?

Are 20's going to reduce performance noticeably.

*Acceleration
*Top end
*Strain on the transmission

Depends on the "Dubs" your planning to get. Stock Lightning rims are pretty light. Most 20" and ^ rims are made of heavy materials. If you plan to drag race a lot, just sacrifice the looks and stick with the stockers. Just my $0.02...

SWThomas said:
Depends on the "Dubs" your planning to get. Stock Lightning rims are pretty light. Most 20" and ^ rims are made of heavy materials. If you plan to drag race a lot, just sacrifice the looks and stick with the stockers. Just my $0.02...

Or if you plan on drag racing a lot get a set of 16 inch american racing baja rims and mount some slicks up. i bought some baja 16x10s and hoosier 28x10x16 full slicks for like $400-450. then you don't have to wear out your expensive/huge street tires at the track.

I'm on 22" Rims with Pirelli Scorpion Zero Tires.
It's not even worth going to the track on them.
Can't hook worth a damn.

Already looking for a set of 15" bogharts with DR's or slicks.

Hi everyone, just joined from over the pond, so be gentle with me.
Must agree with Pedro, get wheels and drag radials and save your others for the street.
I run American Racing and MH DR's. on stock engine it's run1.9 60ft/13.713 1/4 mile and our local tracks probs ar'nt as good as yours. As I run bracket class DR's are much more consistent.
Just my 2 pence worth.

Here's a prime example of what it's like to run on 22's.
This was taken last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFewZCx5UJM

I went 1/2 throttle at launch, thought I had enough traction, went WOT. Lost the rear, and to let off to correct, then floor it again. Funny part I still beat the Malibu that was running me.

Second race in the video was 1/4 throttle, then 1/2, to WOT. Cant wait for my slicks to arrive.

I ran a best of 13.2 on 20's. My best 60' was a 2.4. Get some slicks and lose the 20's. with slicks, my 60' dropped to 1.6. HUGE difference

Back