What progammer is right for me?

Rebel20o7

Ok, I have owned my Gen 2 lightning for a few months. The bottom pulley was switched out before I bought it. It adds 3 psi. I recently purchased an 8 pound bottom pulley. After that is installed truck will have 16 psi of boost. I have been looking at programmers. I can't find any that program over 14. Is it even safe to run 16 psi of boost on my 2000 lightning? Also I'm not sure if there is a chip on it or not. There is a mysterious gray box with wires running in and out of it under panel beneath steering wheel. I cannot get ahold of previous owner, so any information for me will be helpful. Truck is running at about 115 mph in 1/4 mile. So I believe something has been done to it.

Alot of people are running the SCT x-cal2 due to the fact you can store multiple tunes on it while also being able to read and clear trouble codes. I personally use the diablosport(bought it before the SCT came out), but the down fall is not being able to hold multiple tunes. Me personally would get the SCT and also you should look into a custom tune. Good luck with your choice.:eek:ldtu:

are supporting mods for the 8# lower also going in (plugs, MAF, etc.)? my suggestion: locate a tuner in your area that is knowledgeable with Lightnings and ask what programmer he uses. Then buy that and bring it along for your dyno/tune with him after your mods are on.

If you're going to put an 8lb pulley on a vehicle that you have no info on, no knowledge of it's current tune or lack of - that's a recipe for disaster!

If you're going to put an 8lb pulley on a vehicle that you have no info on, no knowledge of it's current tune or lack of - that's a recipe for disaster!

+1 on that, he is asking for a mysterious rod looking thing coming out of the side of your motor........:thumbup:

Haha, yeah I've decided I'm not going to put that 8# pulley on. I love my beautiful lightning way to much to blow it up. They are works of art. I'm going to try to get in touch with previous owner before I add any mods. Thanks for all the help guys.

Tuning a 2004 Lightning

I have a stock 2004 Lightning with no aftermarket performance parts added. Would it be OK to simply find another person who has already purchased a tuner for his lightning and just pay him ~$100 to tune mine? That would save us both money, would'nt it?

If not, what tuner would you suggest I buy?

If you have a totally stock L, one of the current "tuning devices" available won't do you much good. Most actually have limited tuning functions, and are primarily used by most to load and hold tunes onto, from a tuner at either a chassis dyno or over the internet - and then later download these tunes onto their L's. later, many will use these devices to "datalog" (collect certain data from certain engine functions) - send this info to their tuner who may send them another "tune" over the internet - they will then download that tune onto their tuning device and then download it onto their L.

PS: Most tuning devices (SCT, Daiblo, Hyper-Tech) will download tunes to only one vehicle and are "locked" to that vehicle until the tune is removed. For example if "I" bought an SCT Xcal2 tuner with several tunes loaded on it, if I download a tune onto "my" L, I could not use that tune on your vehicle at the same time - the tune would be "locked" to my L.

Back