Well guys . . . I'm moving.

FlashSVT

Well, I'm moving north to Seattle. I received a too-good-to-be-true job offer and I have accepted it. More money, more benefits, more responsibilities, etc. =)

Anyone have any words of wisdom in regards to the Seattle area? I'm looking for advice in regards to housing, neighborhoods, avoiding traffic, etc.

I'll be working right off of I-90 next to Seahawks Stadium in the Union Staton One building. That's about all I can publically disclose. =)

Bill, Rick, Ron and the rest of you guys, I really appreciate all the good times we had working on the L's and just BS'ing. We need to get together before I head north. I'll be leaving on the 10th of April.

Wayne aka Gumby
01 Lightning -> 03 Cobra -> 03 Xterra

Sounds like a good deal for you, Wayne. Congrats!

As far as where to live in Seattle, that depends on what kind of living you want to do. Do you want to buy a house or condo, or are you going to rent? Belltown area has some very swank apartments. Typically, they are overpriced, but the rental market up there is so depressed right now, there are plenty of good deals to be had. Your commute from there would be through downtown (or along the waterfront), not a really big deal.

If you want to stay away from traffic, then you'll want to find a place close to your office. I-90 and SR-520 (the floating bridges across Lake Washington) are freaking nightmares during rush hours, and a lot of the rest of the time as well. Because of that, I don't recommend Bellevue or Kirkland, even though there are plenty of nice areas over there.

If you're going to buy, recommendations would really depend on a TON of factors. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods in Seattle, and they are all over the place. I lived up there for four years while I was in school, so I'm pretty familiar with the different areas. Let me know if you want any more specific advice.

As far as all the people that invariably b*tch and moan about traffic up there, it really isn't that bad. Commuting from outside the city is what you want to stay away from, as it is well and truly awful. But if you stay in town you'll come to find there are a dozen different routes to get anywhere, so getting around is not difficult. In this respect, Seattle traffic is actually better than Portland, where route selection is far more limited.

Seattle is a great city, you should like it.

Hate to see you go Wayne, but far be it from any of us to stand in the way of progress. I will miss you; you've passed on a lot of knowledge and confidence to me. Thanks, buddy.

You just keep moving north and west, don't you. Next thing you know you'll end up in Anchorage or thereabouts!

As far as a get-together, we are way overdue. Interestingly, there is a new Hooters in the area, and my birthday's coming up soon...

No wonder my email got bounced back. I thought you may be on the move again. Just not like that. Seattle is a great town. Traffic hell but a fun place. The area your office is in is a great location. Close to everything. First thing you need to do is have dinner at Palisades. It's over on Bell Harbor. Incredible place. We usually get up there a couple of times a year. Will be passing by via boat in July. I am running a friends boat up from Portland to San Juan Island. You should catch a ferry and head over to Roche Harbor. I will get the exact dates but we will be there for a week or so. Be sure to keep us updated when you change your phone#. Seattle isn't that far. Want to hear more about the job. A GTG is a must.

Thanks bodawg, lots of good info there. I'm probably going to look for a rental apartment first. I don't know much about the area so I figure after to a year I'll decide what I want to do living wise. Know anything about the town Renton? Housing seemed pretty reasonable there and it wasn't too far from downtown.

Spoonie, I'll miss you too man. :cr: Hooter's sounds good to me. :db:

Bill, you can still reach me at my old/current work email. Just substitute wkackley@ for wayne@. The rest is the same. I had to delete the wayne@ address because I was getting blasted with spam. I'll be working here until the 9th & I'll be keeping the same phone # for at least a month or two. Too many business contacts use it.

Let's plan this GTG!!!!

Congrats Flash Money and benny's are what makes us go around I dont like the fact your leaving but It sounds like a great op for you! I appreciate everything that you have helped me with and everything you have tought me about the L and even how to polish up a Blazer! You must keep in touch as You have my number and I am sure once settled in I will take a road trip up the the sound area and check out your new stompping ground great place traffic blows but hell its all about the $! I wont be able to see you off I am leaving town Tuesday for a week and a half of designing a new system for a company in Salem I will be in Wisconsin! So I say good luck my freind and call me when you are settled in This is for you Flash:tu: :3g: :dp: :flag: ;w

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words Ron. I'll never forget the Blazer project. You were awesome in helping me with that beast. How was I supposed to know you sand after primer. LOL

When you do come up to Seattle make sure you have a whole day to kill; you and me are going to go fishing. :D

So when/where for the GTG? Let's actually make it happen this time!

Looks like this coming weekend, or next Friday. I'm up for this Saturday (Apr. 3rd) at Hooters. What do you guys think? Wayne?

Renton is basically the Gresham of Seattle as far as housing/locals/scene. It also won't do you any favors in the traffic department. Both I-405 and I-5 are parking lots during standard rush hours, particularly at the 405/5 interchange and from there all the way into downtown Seattle. And you don't even want to get on I-5 south after work.

Personally, I would look for something closer to town or in town, even though it would cost more. I'm going to stick with my Belltown recommendation, considering you want to rent. Other areas with plenty of rental units and a decent commute would be Queen Anne (older neighborhood) or Capital Hill (despite what you might have heard; although, if you've heard it is a gay area, that is actually true). Greenlake is nice, laid back area. Just depends on your priorities.

Personally, I would look for something closer to town or in town, even though it would cost more. I'm going to stick with my Belltown recommendation, considering you want to rent. Other areas with plenty of rental units and a decent commute would be Queen Anne (older neighborhood) or Capital Hill (despite what you might have heard; although, if you've heard it is a gay area, that is actually true). Greenlake is nice, laid back area. Just depends on your priorities.
Thanks again for all the advice. I think I plan on renting a house or townhome in downtown Seattle for a while until I figure out the whole neighborhood thing. I'll check out Belltown for sure. I've actually spent some time in Queen Anne (Car Toys is Headquarted there) and I like that area too.

BTW, I heard about your new ride. Sounds sweet. It's the exact combo I would have gotten. =)

I think that is a great decision. Better to be stuck paying a little more than to be kicking yourself everyday because of you commute!

Thanks for the compliments on the new car. I'm pretty happy with it. Mod (to-be) list is growing by the second.

Do (did) you work for Car Toys? Stereo for the new car is currently in planning stages ;)

Do (did) you work for Car Toys?
They are one of my current customers. I'm currently (until the 9th) working for an consumer electronics distributor. We supply several customers, including Car Toys, with various gizmos and gadgets; mostly cellular phone accessories. It's a fun business to be in; lots of toys. =)

Back