Weight reduction..

Has anyone replaced the rad core support and cut the crumple zone on the frame with tube? If so, what sort of weight savings is there?

Allen,.......I think I remember Rob Parsons building a new Core support in his out of Round Tubing,.......but I can't be 100% sure. On mine,.....to save weight,....I cut the "Crumple Zone" portion off the frame and attached my Fiberglass Bumper to the Stone Guard above. Saved a decent amount of weight,...if memory serves me correct.

Allen,.......I think I remember Rob Parsons building a new Core support in his out of Round Tubing,.......but I can't be 100% sure. On mine,.....to save weight,....I cut the "Crumple Zone" portion off the frame and attached my Fiberglass Bumper to the Stone Guard above. Saved a decent amount of weight,...if memory serves me correct.
Thanks. I've been trying to find out what a factory core support weighs, but no luck so far.

Front end......Fiberglass hood and front bumper. Engine bay is gutted, no radiator, inner fenders, inside of the front fenders are skeletonized, all oem wiring is gone, stock shocks and springs and buckets are gone.

Cab....., lexan side and rear windows, interior gutted to bare metal, and an aluminum dash installed, one kirkey aluminum seat and 12pt dom cage.

Bed....., sides and tailgate skeletonized, floor removed. aluminum tonneau added

Frame.... all there end to end, Oem springs and brackets are gone, 4 link with coil overs on back.

Currently weights 3300 without me in it.

The biggest thing on these Trucks to overcome (weight-wise),....is the Cab. They are HEAVY !!

Last one I removed,....we had 5 pretty good sized dudes,....and we were struggling to lift it.

I would say they're in the 500-600lb range,....if I was to Guess/Estimate.

The biggest thing on these Trucks to overcome (weight-wise),....is the Cab. They are HEAVY !!

Last one I removed,....we had 5 pretty good sized dudes,....and we were struggling to lift it.

I would say they're in the 500-600lb range,....if I was to Guess/Estimate.
Yea, I did it with a loader. But that was with all the factory stuff in it except the seat. I would like to do fiberglass doors at some point, but for now, I'm just looking at things I can do on the cheap lol.

Edit: I reread your post

Front is still I-beam and stock brakes?

Rear is stock with stock drum brakes?

Gut the doors. Each door is 88lbs complete. Ive gotten a set down to 28lbs each with Lexan

Lightn95, doors are gutted with lexan. I do still have the wing vent though.
JamieV, still have the twin I beams with stock brakes. but redid the suspension to just coilover Viking shocks.
Rear is an explorer 8.8 welded tubes, aftermarket axles with c clip eliminator and a spool.

Is there an aftermarket brake setup that works with the stock spindles?

I keep looking at them but it’s a heck of a lot of money to save 50-60 lbs

You’ll save way more then that.

You loose the stock gear box plus all the heavy steering parts in favor for an aluminum rack and pinion setup.

You go to light weight race brakes vs heavy truck brakes.

Plus you cut out the entire cross member between the frame rails.

Compared to stock I saved like 275 lbs total.
c0550cae6428f4fa076389bc7f1a67fc.png

That makes sense. I did go to a Ranger manual steering box and saved a little weight, but yea, I didn't think the brakes and cross member would save that much. I am running a 533 BBF, so I have a little more weight then your sbf, and a full cage. After I get the motor back, I'll start saving again and then have to decide between the AJE and a NOS kit.

I'm a year late, but the stock core support weighs next to nothing. I'd be shocked if it was over 25-30 pounds. I've got an 87-91 version in my garage that I had powder coated and you can easily pick it up and swing it around easily with one hand.

I forget the exact numbers, but I want to say I saved 50 lbs on the front end of my Gen 2 when I went to Wilwood brakes, and that was going up to 14" rotors and 6 piston calipers. There aren't really any options there for the stock front end, but if you go to the AJE set up and 5x4.5 wheel pattern you'll open lots of doors for lighter brakes. I think you can change to manual brakes with an aluminum master cylinder and save 15-20 lbs there.

Back