Water to Air intercooler tank?

You still running a front tank? If not put that bad boy in its place and use a alumium fuel door as a trap door to get to it....no bed space needed.

i am running both tanks...

i'm thinking a 5 gallon allum tank in the corner won't be bad, i may try to go skinny and tall. I was going to try and calculate a flow rate based off of heat transfers and assumed flow rates of the blower... does any one have a nice rule of thumb for a street truck, not all out race?

i am running both tanks...

i'm thinking a 5 gallon allum tank in the corner won't be bad, i may try to go skinny and tall. I was going to try and calculate a flow rate based off of heat transfers and assumed flow rates of the blower... does any one have a nice rule of thumb for a street truck, not all out race?

Can't help you there,but I was told to buy as big of a pump as I could afford.the mezire was recommend to me.

ummm no, most cars are running water in the radiator

Yeah, right. I believe that. Do you happen to have a bridge for sale? I don't doubt there are racecars running straight water, but the other 90% of the cars out there have some antifreeze in them.

I wouldn't run a heat exchanger.. The intercooler acts as a heat exchanger most of the time. When your not in boost, the IAT's are low, but the water is still circulating through the intercooler... So the I/C is acting like a heat exchanger. When your WOT going down the 1/4, the heat exchanger isn't doing anything anyways.

Yeah, right. I believe that. Do you happen to have a bridge for sale? I don't doubt there are racecars running straight water, but the other 90% of the cars out there have some antifreeze in them.

You'll only puke antifreeze once at the track before getting tossed out.

You'll only puke antifreeze once at the track before getting tossed out.

Yes, and that's a risk we all take every time we go down the track. There is antifreeze in most of the cars there already, adding more in a different place isn't going to change anything. If it's that big of a concern he could always try something else that doesn't freeze at 32 degrees, but this isn't something that isn't already happening.

LOL! So now we are talking cryogenics. Lets use Liquid Nitrogen. Oh wait. Don't let a bug hit your intercooler at speed or it'll fracture into a bazillion pieces. Ice or Cardox are probabily the best choices. Don't forget to rout your fuel lines through whatever cooling medium you decide or install a Moroso Cool can. I used plain old H20 ice in my fuel cool can.
Moroso 65125 - Moroso Super Cool Cans - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Something else to keep in mind. At intercooler temps less than 32 degrees, you'll precipitate out the humidity that is in the air and risk freezing up your intake lines throught he intercooler. An icemaker comes to mind.

Last edited:
I can't baleave all the bad advice your getting on this post, if the Gen ll guys are running a 1 gallon tank and making 600+ hp why would it not work for your set up. Run straight water through the heat exchanger and be done with it. You can buy a aluminum tank from any vendor and make the brackets to bolt it up or find a plastic one some body is selling.

LOL! So now we are talking cryogenics. Lets use Liquid Nitrogen. Oh wait. Don't let a bug hit your intercooler at speed or it'll fracture into a bazillion pieces. Ice or Cardox are probabily the best choices. Don't forget to rout your fuel lines through whatever cooling medium you decide or install a Moroso Cool can. I used plain old H20 ice in my fuel cool can.
Moroso 65125 - Moroso Super Cool Cans - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Something else to keep in mind. At intercooler temps less than 32 degrees, you'll precipitate out the humidity that is in the air and risk freezing up your intake lines throught he intercooler. An icemaker comes to mind.

We aren't talking cryogenics, just ways to get the air charge cooled as much as possible before it goes to the engine. You'll never get straight water colder than 32 degrees. If you could have a liquid that was 30 degrees cooler it may knock another 10-15 degrees off of the charge temp. That's significant.

The intercooler freezing up won't be an issue unless the wall temperature of the intercooler itself gets to freezing. With hot air flowing through it I doubt that will happen, but it is possible it could happen.

I can't baleave all the bad advice your getting on this post, if the Gen ll guys are running a 1 gallon tank and making 600+ hp why would it not work for your set up. Run straight water through the heat exchanger and be done with it. You can buy a aluminum tank from any vendor and make the brackets to bolt it up or find a plastic one some body is selling.

The guys running at that power level aren't usually running the stock intercooler. Most have something to supplement it.

The intercooler freezing up won't be an issue unless the wall temperature of the intercooler itself gets to freezing. With hot air flowing through it I doubt that will happen, but it is possible it could happen.

I know. I was just busting yer chops. Thanks for being a good sport.
In all seriousness, if you were to drop the temp significantly, I.E. Below relative dewpoint of the incoming charge, not necessarily atmospheric dewpoint, it makes me wonder if condensate in the intake could be a problem on a humid summer day.
IDK where you race, but July and August can get pretty sticky here on the east coast.

I know. I was just busting yer chops. Thanks for being a good sport.
In all seriousness, if you were to drop the temp significantly, I.E. Below relative dewpoint of the incoming charge, not necessarily atmospheric dewpoint, it makes me wonder if condensate in the intake could be a problem on a humid summer day.
IDK where you race, but July and August can get pretty sticky here on the east coast.

i'm in the middle of the midwest, Nebraska, not uncommon to see high 70's low 80's dew points in the summer... i'd say it gets sticky here too...:(

+1
Not only that but i saw a 10-15* increase in my engine coolant temps when I put a big front mount intercooler on my truck.

Did anyone ever go forward on a Air to water setup? I'm looking at this option or just a Meth injection setup. I just can't bear to hack up my core support or new header panel in order to fit a 4" core intercooler. Not to mention the air temps at the surcace here in DFW have got to be just palin stupid hot! It's already hit 108º! It also seems like that fat 4" core would restrict air flow over my AC condenser and at idle it would really get the head pressure up. That would really kill the chill at idle. Seems like you could mount the evaporator from the air to water setup in front of the radiator, reservoir behind the battery, and cooler on the DS finder. It costs about the same as a good Meth kit, so I was curious if anyone on this board uses one for his street driven Lightning.

Like this
http://www.frozenboost.com/product_...=1006&osCsid=6c562d40805154324403a14ef506f2fc

Last edited:
I am still planning on going forward with it, i have the piping and intercooler, i just need some of the supporting hardware now...

I was going to but for much cheaper i went with an air to air intercooler.
If i were so concerned i would put co2 spray bars on and cool down the intake charge that way.

Back