Want to go turbo, experienced people help me out?

zakjordan

Hi all,

I think this is my first post here, not sure I registered years ago. I have always been a fan of lightnings, especially the turbo lightning on this site particularly. Now before I start, I want it to be made known that I know the basic theory of how engines work and what boost is, etc. However I don't have a lot of hands on experience with engines and actually fabricating a turbo kit. I'd say the most of ever done myself is an oil change on a truck, however I have over the years learned much about engines and etc, I just don't have any hands on experience.

With that being said, I want to put a turbo (preferably a twin system, it just looks more uniform and kicks some serious rear on the street) into a lightning. I just need to know where to start and what to do. Like I said I have a lot of knowledge (somewhat) I just don't have hands on experience, and I want to gain that hands on experience by doing it all myself. I don't want to pay some person to do all the work.

I am/was in love with oiN8io's lightning. It's a shame it was sold! It's literally what I want to replicate. The lightning is stock and I am getting a deal on one with only 3800 miles on it.

I am just seeking advice as to what engine, turbos, fab system, and everything else i have not mentioned I should get, and what to expect. Thank you all so much for the help. This is an amazing site and the Lightning is an amazing truck.

Definately start saving or borrow yourself rich.

I bought a Pro Turbo kit when I swapped over. The installation itself is VERY involved, I learned alot myself doing it. Fabrication is another story all together though.

1st do you have the time and place to have your truck down for a year plus?

2nd do you know how to weld? Are you good at it? If you don't then its gonna look bad an possilby leak.

3rd do you have the tools? Welder, chop saw, bench, drill press, and all the other goodies?

If you answered no to more that 2 of those questions then I would wait awhile. Save your $$$, amass the proper tools, get a daily beater, and most important do some bolt on mods. Doing the bolts ons, Pulllies, exhaust, intake, and others will get you familiar with the truck.

Gotta run more to come later
Dan

Call me, I PMed you my number.. There is too much to type...

Yes a twin system is possible, how much you want spend to make it fit around all the stock components is all up to you..

hmm, kinda curious where this ended up? I too am looking into building a twin turbo setup on a 2000 lightning. It wont have to be stock as the engine bay is currently empty, so I have plenty of room to work. I also liked oiN8io's setup.

Marc

Back