Value of repaint

Just wanted to get everyone’s take on a repaint.
Considering painting the 93. It’s a 86000 mile no rust all original that still has a little shine after a wax. I’m just on the fence for resale value. I know when I went looking for this one it stood out for the fact that is obviously had nothing bad happen to it. An unmolested survivor of sorts. One or two blemished areas will not fix without paint but do not want to kill the value. With what these things are going for now it is tempting to sell sometimes.
28350898c993c4462a6b651dd72a7ff3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know but mine is getting repainted as we speak so I guess I'd be curious to see the replies.

What are they selling for these days that makes you think of selling? I never look so I don't have a clue. Mine isn't leaving me just curious what you see out there

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It's always up to you if you think it needs one. Your like me milage wise or fairly close. I don't believe it matters a whole lot on a 75k mile or more truck a lot. Now if it had say 4000 miles that's different. But with our mileage it's nice to keep it as close to stock as posable but keeping it really nice is more important. Sometimes that requires paint.

Me personally I do not like to buy vehicles that are repainted. I’d rather buy a dull paint vehicle where I can see what’s what. I always assume a repainted vehicle has subpar repairs and is covering something.

Now what that means as far as value I’m not sure.

Me personally I do not like to buy vehicles that are repainted. I’d rather buy a dull paint vehicle where I can see what’s what. I always assume a repainted vehicle has subpar repairs and is covering something.

I'm with Jamie on this..

I personally plan to Plasti-Dip mine when the time comes, I'm sure that will subtract from the value!

I’m no paint guy but isn’t a 93 not a base coat/clear coat? Can’t it be buffed/wet sanded?

You can always put it out there unpainted and see if you get what you want for it. The issue with paint is it can be cheap or very expensive. I have one guy that paints show room quality only cars and it would be $10K and is back logged. I have another buddy that paints in his garage does beautiful work. $2K plus materials. It's a hard call to make. As a buyer I would always want to have the paint and body done by someone I know. I also think it is difficult to recoup the cost of paint in the sale.

I make Lightning Decals if you decide to repaint.
www.Gen1Jonny.com

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I guess I’m going with my gut feeling and giving it a wax. It is good to know that I’m not the only crazy out there that would not prefer a painted one over an original in this situation. I know it’s not perfect but for a 93 to be driven this long and come away looking like it does.. pretty impressive I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my $0.02 worth, get the two small bad paint areas repaired and leave it alone for now.
I agree. My truck is 179k with some rust bubbles on my drivers side fender out back and up front. Passenger side is fine, but it shines up good still and people break their necks to check it out sometimes. Personally since I use it regularly, in good weather if course, a perfect paint job is the last thing I want. I don’t want a perfect truck. I don’t wanna be worried about a scratch or small dent from using it for HVAC side jobs, fishing trips, hauling wood etc...

Mine has been banged up dented, repaired, rust fixed in the rear fenders etc. Had the infamous factory mange peeling paint on the cab from new so I got a new cab paint from the fender line up at one year old. With all repairs they shot it color/clear so in my case it wouldn't matter as there is very little if any original paint. The cab/hood needs redone at some point along with a new tailgate, but that's way down the road.

I myself passed on a few trucks that had been repainted. You just never know the quality of work of whoever repainted it.
To the seller it might be a good enough paint job,but to the buyer its not good enough.

The truck has been egged. It's not going to buff out. The dull spots will restore nicely with a little elbow grease, though, since it's not cleared.

If the truck is straight and rust free it’s really not that bad to have done.

The problem I have is all the small details that get overlooked, did they prep and get coverage on all of the edges, bottom of the rockers, door sills, between the bed and can etc etc.
If stuff like that gets missed It doesn’t add value to the truck IMO

Back