Turbo's and Carbs....???

Check the holes for the valve cover bolts on the end cylinders. On the CJ/SCJ heads they go all the way into the intake ports (which are seriously HUGE).. I've never seen any other reference where the C9VE was grouped with the CJ style heads. That list is nearly identical to the HP books list of head castings, and in the BBF community, I've never heard of a D4VE, and it fails to mention the D2 PI head.

In any case, you don't need the giant ports to make your hp goals, you can get a them ported with the PI sized (2.19/1.72) valves and find 800 hp. I had 10.5:1 in my old 466 and it would rattle occasionally on hot days with only 93 and no boost, I always ran some 110 when I cranked the advance at the track.

With properly sized turbos, you will have almost no lag and more power than you can use, especially since you are only pushing 3500lbs or less with a big block..

Jim

Thanks Jim and everyone else, i just don't want to sound stupid, cause with blowers and nitrous, I know those power adders well. I guess I just need help putting the combination together with the turbos if i go that route..i just think it would be neat and not so overdone to do a car like this with BBF and turbos...I might just run a 300 shot plate on it and call it good...lol

Shane, nix any idea of gas engine junkyard turbos. Nothing is going to handle the kind of exhaust flow you're talking about. It's the one downside to big inches and turbos - getting the exhaust out. The twin Buick turbos mentioned earlier MAY be adequate, but it's iffy.

Making 800-850 from a big block with turbocharging will be a cakewalk. I see 860 to the wheels from mine on 13 psi and pump gas. I really think that with the valvetrain changes I'm making this winter, that may jump another 100-odd hp, too.

I'd keep the compression down. No reason to run it higher than 9:1. Boost makes much more power than compression does. You'll give up a little in terms of throttle snap, but it's really not very significant.

Jeff~
You said the down side to turbos is getting the exhaust back out to use that pressure to turn the turbo...did i take that right?

Could i use the C9VE heads which are supposed to flow good, and they have a 2.24 intake and a 1.725 exhaust valves, but run a big dish piston to cut the compression? Also, could you use (if the machine work could be done) a BBC 1.88 valve on the exhaust side to help increase outflow? Or use an intake valve (2.08 out of a D3VE) for the exhaust valve on the heads i would like to run...pending that you could get a new seat put in for it if there is room? and port the exhaust runner to help exhale the gas?

Just brainstorming....

I think you need a turbo with at least a T4 style flange to give the exaust a chance to flow. Those tiny ford 2.3L turbos don't have a chance and would choke down quick probably 3K rpms.

My new combo isn't a BBF but It does displace 444 ci from a world block. I picked twin PT 67s and plan on about 14#s of boost.

Good Luck!
Jerry M

If you are wanting to go cheaper get a TV8101 style. 83-85mm inducer and several have ran it to 800+rwhp. But in reality a T6 flanged 88 would be the smallest I would go.

Thanks guys for all of your help, I need to do some more studying up on the turbo stuff....so basically if i want to do turbos, the general recamendation from everybody is to run a basically stock motor set up with some smaller turbos?

Thanks guys for your help...

Trevor is running two GN turbos, not Turbo Coupe units. There was a 50's Ford in a magazine article running twin TC turbos and he made huge tq but said it was all done before 4000. I also read somewhere that he cooked them not too long after the article was writen..

Jim

Back