Turbochargers...

S

skrappy

what are the good turbo setups out there. How good are they? Are they recommended?

Thanks,
Rob

The turbocharger systems that I have seen are completely customized. As far as I know,no one makes a kit for the lighting. Please guys chim in if I am wrong, but they cost a ton of money, custom headers, space makers, etc.

John Wilde

Cartech in San Antonio (210-308-8464) has made some kits in the past, and still had the jigs sitting on the shelf last year. It is a single turbo kit with intercooler, will work with SD but would be better with MAS.
I want to say the price was around $3800, but that can change depending on turbo selection. Give them a call and ask for Greg or Corky.

John

There's a guy out in Nevada that is making a complete turbo setup for 1st gen trucks. I know it was pricey.....something like $5000 or so.....but it included EVERYTHING, down to a full exhaust system. Can't remember who it was though. I'm sure someone here will know, else try posting to the Lightning Mailing List - it's been discussed there quite a bit...

Good luck!

- Kevin

Thanks guys, I have seen some twin turbo setups for small block mustangs. Any chance you could modify one of those to work?

Rob

There are a few possibilities for the turbocharger enthusiast. One source would be Mike Arnett--Silver State Motorsports. He offers a speed density based kit that includes the turbo, wastegate, bypass valve, header, intercooler, crossover tube, custom chip, 36 pound Motorsport injectors, high flow converters, large truck mufflers, and a custom chip for $5,995. I may have left something out, but it's truly a complete kit. If you have any of these components already, he'll give you credit for them and reduce the price.

The other source I found was at Cartech in San Antonio. I spoke with a gentlemen named Greg who seemed very eager to help and knowledgeable as well. He worked up a similar setup for a much cheaper price. I tried to follow up a couple of times with no response. He mentioned they had previously outfitted 3 Lightnings with turbochargers.

The most recent research has brought me a gent named Shane Hill who is a frequent poster on this list. Shane is opening a new speed shop soon and he mentioned plans to put together a turbo kit for the first gen Lightnings. I spoke with him not too long ago and he was able to successfully answer the plethora of questions I bombarded him with. I am very excited about what he can offer the group of us eager to turbocharge our trucks. He said something about plans to offer a single turbo kit or perhaps a customized twin turbo setup around mid summer. He's forecasting 2 levels of power to choose from--550 hp and 700 hp. He seemed to be open to suggestions and customer oriented as well. Hope this helps.

Back