Turbo Opinions

mojo racing

I'm going to be collecting some parts for a turbo build this winter and I have narrowed it down between two turbos a

TURBONETICS T4 HURRICANE VANESSA .76 COMP .68 EXH AR.96

or a,

BorgWarner S300SX3- S366 T4 .91A/R

so I was just looking for some opinions on which would be a better turbo?

I don't have any exp with the borg but I'm basically running that tnetics on my truck. It is a nice turbo spools great on the street but it's track down fall is the 3" downpipe. It will create a lot of backpressure. Right now on 11.5psi with that turbo I do know given my weight and mph I am making 550 or so at the wheel.

Right on I was looking to be around 11-12 lbs when its all said and done. The BorgWarner is about $200 cheaper and is a 66/73 with a 4.120 outlet

Gregg, is the back pressure from your smallish downpipe the reason for your soft launches, aka while building boost it won't clear and you basically get compressor stall on the exhaust side? Or am I totally screwed up as usual? :headscratch:

Not really sure yet Jim. I think most of the soft launch was due to lack of timing. I will be able to give you a better answer tomorrow night. I've been working on the tune and had a couple small issues that I've taken care of. Another thing is my converter is only a 26-2800 stall and that isn't helping.heading up to Maple grove tomorrow night.
I would probably go with the Borg if the track will be your main convern. Although like I said my turbonetics is brutal on the street.

Not really sure yet Jim. I think most of the soft launch was due to lack of timing. I will be able to give you a better answer tomorrow night. I've been working on the tune and had a couple small issues that I've taken care of. Another thing is my converter is only a 26-2800 stall and that isn't helping.heading up to Maple grove tomorrow night.
I would probably go with the Borg if the track will be your main convern. Although like I said my turbonetics is brutal on the street.[/QUOT

Lets just say its mostly set up for a little/a lot of illegal street action :whistle:

Id consider going with something with 1.10 AR.
Smaller turbos heat soak more, and make less power per pound of boost.

Im running bw s475 with a 1.32AR with a stock short block.
I have the intention of going with a 408 eventually and didn't want to buy another turbo.
I have yet to go to the track, but that little bit of lag helps me get off the line on the street without blowing the tires off. (on 100% street tires)
I thought the lag was going to be much worse than it is

there isn't that much of a price jump to the S400 either.
Mine was a scratch and ding unit I paid $550 for it (v band clamp flange was damaged)
also Added billet compressor wheel ($200)

Brand new in box theyre around $800

Last edited:
Wow 45lbs? that's a monster!! how does it handle on the street? my plan is to try to set it up so it will spool up just off the line and pull all the way through the rpm band.

Sorry I haven't read the entire thread but there was a guy running twin Holeset diesel turbos on a 408LS motor wed night running 130 mph 1/4 trap speeds. The turbos where both under the truck at the rear. It was pretty well engineered the dude worked for one of the big time engine builder shops here in Indy

Gotta play around with it some more, a buddy of mine is helping me with the tune, currently theres timing pulled out till we can mess with it more.
Eventually ill run a boost controller but I want to get all this locked down first.
I love it so far, pulls like a freight train.
Havent had a chance to use the 2 step yet though

I don't have any exp with the borg but I'm basically running that tnetics on my truck. It is a nice turbo spools great on the street but it's track down fall is the 3" downpipe. It will create a lot of backpressure. Right now on 11.5psi with that turbo I do know given my weight and mph I am making 550 or so at the wheel.

I agree a 76mm needs a 3.5" downpipe to make it a hard charger on the 1320. I ran the Precision PT76GTSH (.96AR)on my Gen1, it destroyed every blower combination I ran before it, not a better power adder on the planet IMHO. Truck made 606 hp to the rear wheels with 15psi
P3050003_zpshftsevxe.jpg

P2250002_zps3gkfnoy0.jpg
3.5" Downpipe

Last edited:
Matt I ran my turbonetics 7868 for a while without any problems. My truck has a 3 to 3.5 downpipe. It pulled pretty good on the street. I have recently switched to a 7675 magnum performance turbo. I might be the Daytona area today, if want to check the truck out give me a shout

Last edited:
Gregg, is the back pressure from your smallish downpipe the reason for your soft launches, aka while building boost it won't clear and you basically get compressor stall on the exhaust side? Or am I totally screwed up as usual? :headscratch:
I doubt the small exhaust housing is the reason. I am experiencing the same thing as Greg. I can't get it to launch for anything. I have recently switched to a 75mm exhaust housing turbo and still it doesn't launch hard. I think it's in the timing/tune

Back