Trimming ruslow coils?

i8urchvy

APS Racing
I am going to be getting a set of ruslow 1000 or 1100lb coils to install along with djm control arms on the front of my truck. I want to get the ride height at 15.5-16", any ideas on how much of the coil would need to be trimmed? I've heard ruslow coils with the lower a-arms usually put the front right about 17.5". Also, any suggestions on the rear suspension to get the same height? Will I still be able to run a panhard being this low? (~16") My goals are a very well handling truck that I can take to the track on occasion. I'm coming from a z06 so I can't have any body roll in my truck ;). Thanks

I have 1100lb coils, qa1's all around, rear sliders, panhard bar and it incredible.

I links to the suspension drop refrence in the other thread. ... hope that helps.
Be sure to read up on Mr. Tim Skeltons website too.
;w
John

i8urchvy said:
I am going to be getting a set of ruslow 1000 or 1100lb coils to install along with djm control arms on the front of my truck. I want to get the ride height at 15.5-16", any ideas on how much of the coil would need to be trimmed? I've heard ruslow coils with the lower a-arms usually put the front right about 17.5". Also, any suggestions on the rear suspension to get the same height? Will I still be able to run a panhard being this low? (~16") My goals are a very well handling truck that I can take to the track on occasion. I'm coming from a z06 so I can't have any body roll in my truck ;). Thanks

You are still going to have plenty of body roll with the 1100 # springs. I had them, but switched to the 1500#, and they eliminated most of the roll. (I have Hotchkiss leafs, Panhard bar, urethane bushings, QA1 shocks, too.) Cutting the springs will make them effectively stiffer, but Ruslow's springs already give you about as much drop as you would want before you run into serious bump steer issues. I would go with the 1500s and not cut them, unless you know of a good bump steer kit, or are going to put an aftermarket front suspension on the sucker. (Why you would go from a beautiful handling car like the Z06 to a Ferd is beyone me).

Thanks for the advice, Im still looking into options. Dont the 1500lb springs about kill you though on the daily stuff? I actually sold my Z so I could be first in line for the c6 z06 next year, I hope its worth the wait. I'll be keeping the truck as a daily driver, thus my concern for comfort on the steet. Thanks

i8urchvy said:
Thanks for the advice, Im still looking into options. Dont the 1500lb springs about kill you though on the daily stuff? I actually sold my Z so I could be first in line for the c6 z06 next year, I hope its worth the wait. I'll be keeping the truck as a daily driver, thus my concern for comfort on the steet. Thanks

Oops, I didn't notice the djm control arms; that ought to deal with the bump steer issue. "The daily stuff"? I dunno, I haven't driven the truck for several months, now. Its got a few mods not listed in my sig, and we are still sorting out the tuning issues, plus I got a new hip a few months ago, so the truck stayed in the shop while I recuperated. Its not my daily driver, anyway, it only runs on race gas so its a little expensive to drive compared to my 50 mpg VW diesel, which is my daily driver. So yes, it does ride a tad rough, especially over the expansion joints, but its really just a race toy, anyway, no fun at all to drive on the street, no way I dare put my foot in it. You say you want no roll, that won't happen with the 1100s, but cutting them will stiffen them so you might come close. As someone else suggested check out Tim's page; its been a while since I visited but he has tried lots of stuff and has a lot of good ideas. And man, that C6 should be a beast. I know you will have fun with it.

Back