Tranny woes, I think I broke it!

Sloe Truk

AuToX/CLOC MoDr8r
GRegg,
I did some realy hard racing this weekend, mostly in second gear. It was a very curvy road and needed the engine braking. I know it is a no no, but I did it anyway. I didn't really let the truck cool down a whole lot like I normally do between runs, it seemed to be an amusment park ride for everyone around. ANyway back to the pertinants. 29K miles, stock guts, original fluid. After the abuse I put on it this weekend, it often shifts really hard into reverse, if it shifts at all. Sometimes I have to put it back into park and them pull it back into reverse. Once I had to idle it up a bit. The fluid level is good. I know I boiled my brake fluid (DOT4), could I have boiled my tranny fluid or is it worse than that? I'm panning on a flush, filter change, and Mobil 1 refill. Any advice you can give would be great. I know I deserve whatever comes.

Thanx
Sloe Truk

Well, try the fluid, but I thnk you may have either torn up the intermediate clutch or more likely you did some damage to the pump, the reverse problem concerns me, that leads me to think pump. How is the N-1 engage?

G

Fine, smooth. IT works great cold or even cool. When she warms up it shifts hard in to reverse, but th forward gears are smooth.

Last edited:
Well, this is little better than an educated guess, but you could try to replace the solenoid, F81Z-7G391-CA and see if it helps. If that doesn't fix it, it's likley something broke. I think the solenoid may fix it though. It's not hard to swap, very similar to installing the FTVB, just a different valve body (the one with the plasitc cover and extenal wiring harness connection). If it got too hot, it could have done something to the reverse solenoid spindle, if that's not it, it pretty much has to be mechanical.

G

Last edited:
Back