Tranny fluid change

D

Derek Brown

I want to change my tranny fluid i have already called the ford place but there are two one is an svt dealer and one isn't which do i take it to. I don't want them to mess it up.Does REDLINE fluid make a difference.

------------------
Lightning Has Struck!

Either one will do a fine job. It is only an E40D.. Most Ford tech's are OK, and either one will be able to do a simple tranny fluid change..But if it makes you feel better, take it to the SVT dealer!

------------------
Curt
'93 Red Lightning #4232

If you're planning to buy a shift kit in the future, you may want to do this all at once and just change the fluid yourself. It's not that hard to do, but can be VERY messy if you aren't careful.

Trace
smile.gif

Yes either one will be ok but make sure that you get a full flush out and not just a drop the pan and put new fluid on top of old,that is what most places do and that is not good enough, because that just takes out about 4 quorts and leves the old fluid in there,you can drane the torque converter, but if it were me I would have it flushed out.
biggrin.gif

------------------
David Red'94#78

[This message has been edited by david (edited 06-06-2000).]

The big question is: How many miles are on it? If it is too high (an arguable point at best) don't change the fluid or you run the risk of wiping out the trans. I have had rebuild shops tell me that in the new transmissons it does not matter as it did with old ones that used Type F fluid. I have been warned by others to not change it. Good luck.

Kevin, what are you talking about??? If the fluid has many, many miles on it, then it definitly needs to be replaced to return the lubricating and cooling effects of new fluid. Also, the E4OD uses Mercon. The only use of Type F in the Lightning is as power steering fluid

------------------
Keep it safe...

John Norris
Red '93 # 3395
NLOC # 227
Nassau Bay, Texas

Frequent Trans Fluid Services Are A REAL Good Thing As Early E40D Trannies Are Potential Grenades. A "Full Drain" I.E. Converter, Pan, Pump, Removes Almost 14 Quarts (15 Is A Dry Fill). It doesn't Hurt To Put A Tube Of Limited Slip Additive In The Fluid, It Helps To Prevent Glazing And Scorching Of Clutch Plates.

Trace Is Right, It Can Be A "Do It Yourself"
Project, It Is Also A Golden Opportunity For A New Accumulator Body Of Shift Kit....

Good Luck.

I know the E4OD's use Mercon. Would you recommend him changing the fluid if he had 80K on it and it has never been changed?

There Are Many Schools Of Thought Concerning Old Fluid In High Mileage Trannies:

Old Fluid Can Make An Old Trans Tend Not To Slip/Chatter Due To The Heavier Composition Of It (Due To Suspended Solid Matter), On The Other Hand The Suspended Matter Is Murder On Bearings / Sprag Assemblies.

If It Was Me, I Would Opt For Changing The Fluid And Putting A Tube Of Limited Slip Additive In It, The Additive Will Prevent Clutch Chatter And The New Fluid Will Keep; The Bearings Alive Longer. Furthermore, The New Fluid Will Cool Better.

Good Luck.............

Back