Towing tales...

Eeyore

... any success stories of towing across the country with a Gen 1? Plan A for Red Bessie was to tow a Cherokee to various Jeep events. Just with something a little cooler than a basic truck.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I never did any cross country towing but plenty of towing around the state of ND. I had to tow my brother our father's old Dakota 300+ miles & then tow his Probe GT home when he blew up the clutch. He was in college at the time, what we do for our siblings. Truck never missed a beat or struggled with the load. You will want electric trailer brakes for sure though.

Good to hear. The Jeep is right around half the weight rating. May flat tow it or use a dolly. Think they have something called a brake buddy that you can put in a flat towed vehicle to assist with the braking chores.

I've towed plenty of times with mine never had a problem. Just be prepared for the fuel bill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

My truck has absolutely no issues hauling it's bed rug around town.

It's never been cross-country, or out of the County for that matter, but it has been to the local Mobil station a number times and has never even hinted at an issue related to hauling its load.

I've been towing a boat since 1998 when I got my G1... Was one of the reasons I bought it! I've never had a moments issue towing. I've never been cross-country, but pulled many miles and many mild grades... I guess out West with their steep grades you may encounter some struggle, but so will anything else. And yes the gas mileage will suffer, but my boat loaded weights in around 5000# I'd say with 40 gallons on gas and I still manage 10mpg on somewhat level drives.

I do suggest some kind of brake assist for peace of mind. There have been a few times where if I didn't have trailer brakes I would have been in a bad situation!

Yep... brake assist is on the list. Despite power, gearing, and good brakes, a little help isn't a bad thing. Once she's running again, there's a set of Biltstein shocks on deck plus a deep sump tube-vented tranny pan. Looks like U-Haul carries the hitch for the roll pan "bumper". I do need to address the cooling system, but will save that for another thread. It's not pretty.

I will say the handling and stopping power is pretty impressive for a truck. Damn fun to drive.

Yep... brake assist is on the list. Despite power, gearing, and good brakes, a little help isn't a bad thing. Once she's running again, there's a set of Biltstein shocks on deck plus a deep sump tube-vented tranny pan. Looks like U-Haul carries the hitch for the roll pan "bumper". I do need to address the cooling system, but will save that for another thread. It's not pretty.

I will say the handling and stopping power is pretty impressive for a truck. Damn fun to drive.

Be careful on those rollpan hidden hitches... Most do not hide behind the rollpan, but drop below it. It took me a long time to find a true hidden hitch... Unfortunately I don't remember the brand now as I bought it years ago.

My truck does well with the occasional 5 bails of alfalfa she hauls around sometimes. lol

I think sometimes we forget these are trucks and not Mustangs :gl:

Does a snowplow and salt spreader installed on a Lightning result in immediate banishment, shunning, and taking away of ones birthday? Or being forced to drink Lite beer until death?

(No, I am not considering it)

Does a snowplow and salt spreader installed on a Lightning result in immediate banishment, shunning, and taking away of ones birthday? Or being forced to drink Lite beer until death?

(No, I am not considering it)

That’s an automatic ban from this site. FOREVER

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think sometimes we forget these are trucks and not Mustangs :gl:

I agree! I bought mine in 1994 with the intention of using as a truck. I've carried 19- 4'x10'×5/8" drywall in it, I've towed race cars, a 27' fountain lightning boat (funny enough) dirt, mulch you name it. The thing is I never just thrown stuff in the back it was more placed.

The thing is I never just thrown stuff in the back it was more placed.

Exactly. Hauled lumber once, you'd think I was laying it on eggs when loading... well, maybe not THAT bad, but pretty close. There's evidence of abuse by previous owners though... dents, scuffs, etc.

Exactly. Hauled lumber once, you'd think I was laying it on eggs when loading... well, maybe not THAT bad, but pretty close. There's evidence of abuse by previous owners though... dents, scuffs, etc.

Exactly. I never just thrown things into any of the trucks I've owned, had a few "oops" moments when things fell or slip out of my grip but that happens. The only way my vehicles get abused is with my sized 13 power adder lol

My truck has absolutely no issues hauling it's bed rug around town.

It's never been cross-country, or out of the County for that matter, but it has been to the local Mobil station a number times and has never even hinted at an issue related to hauling its load.

That’s funny right there. All seriousness aside, I’ve towed u-crawl’s largest trailer stuffed to the gills on the 1,000 mi trip btwn FL & VA twice. Hardly knew it was back there - just didn’t change lanes as fast. :>

Back