Torque reduction ????'s

doctorjj said:
Well, I think I have decided, that the fact that I am doing so much questioning regarding this means that I should NOT turn it off. If I did, I wouldn't be able to enjoy my truck as I would always be worried about blowing the tranny and if anything ever did go wrong, I'd be totally pissed at myself. I'm not a drag racer anyway.

Now, that's level-headed thinking!

The quote above was my opnion at the time, but at that time we also had only 4,000 transmissions out there, all less than a year old and the mods availible were much less than what is out there now. History has shown that the tranny is not reliable with the torque reduction removed, even on a basically stock truck. I still stand by my "give me 20 boxes, 10 stock and 10 with TR off, and I'll tell you which ones were which"
Since April of 2000 we've learned a lot about what the S/C 5.4 does to a tranny.

Hope this clears that up.

G

And does your FTVB make it safe (safer) to turn it off or at least reduce the duration since it makes the tranny shift faster????

I just spoke with Torry at Excessive (where I got my L tuned) and they turn it off on all the L's they tune. Torry has had it turned off for 20K Miles now with 0 problems.

To do ,or not to do,that is the question..........I have mine on but i like the shifts better with it off.

I hav'nt data logged my truck much in this area yet. But my 2003 mountianeer reduces timing increasingly with heavier throttle.

Gotta remember there is more to life that WOT. ;)

Rich

New to this world, got my 02 L about a month ago, been driving very conservatively to clear monitors for smog, anyway, really got into it for the first time today, from a 10mph roll, when it shifted from 1st to 2nd I heard what sounded like backfire, was that just a fart? Sorry, old school guy.

Back