Tire Pressure question

Road Rage

This weekend I'm taking my Lightning to a road course for the first time. Small track, 1.3 miles, expected top speed is about 90mph on the front and back straights.

Generally speaking, where's a good starting point for tire pressures on the Lightning for this type of driving?

I've driven some cars for SCCA events, and autoX with a Dodge Dakota RT so I have some road course experience. But these were all much smaller and lighter than my L.

Mods that matter here: Brake upgrade at all 4 wheels, Hotchkis sway bar kit, Hotchkis Bilsteins on rear lowered 2", new set of Eagle F1's on stock wheel size.

From driving in anger on some local roads, I get the sense that "slow in, fast out" is what the L responds to best?

Thanks in advance.

Track I'm going to

I generally start my air pressure in the high 30s. Take a piece of chalk and mark the sidewalls. If you are getting too much rollover, then add air, if you are not getting enough reduce air. There is no magic number, and it will change all day.

That track looks insanely tight. Have a blast. The L does prefer a late apex. AS you gain seat time with it, you will pick up entry speed, and exit speed is generally not too hard to obtain.

My biggest fear is always of the traction letting go, so I tend to give myself a little of the track to deal with. When I'm in a corner and waiting for the late apex, I will not be at the edge of the track, I'll stay a little inside.

Have a blast, get some pics please. I want to see how wide that track is, with a reference, ie a car on it.

Sloe Truk

Sloe, I assume you mean high 30's in the fronts? I would imagine the rears needing to be a tad lower?

TGP.jpg

Had a blast, chewed up the tires a good bit. Majic number was 40psi for me. The Wilwood racing brakes are definitely a plus.

Tranny temp got up to 210 a few times. Sessions were 30 minutes each and I ran 4 sessions, agressively. Hope the tranny can handle that much heat.

Road Rage said:
Had a blast, chewed up the tires a good bit. Majic number was 40psi for me. The Wilwood racing brakes are definitely a plus.

Tranny temp got up to 210 a few times. Sessions were 30 minutes each and I ran 4 sessions, agressively. Hope the tranny can handle that much heat.

Sorry I didn't reply, I was busy getting out of town. It depends on the track as to what I actually run.

I'm glad you had fun. Brakes are always good to have at the track.

You might want to check the fluid color on the tranny. As long as the fluid stays healthy it helps the tranny stay healthy. You might want to try Mobile1 fluid and add a secondary cooler. The fluid just about costs as much as the secondary cooler.

Sloe Truk

If you start doing road courses on a regular bases you might fine a pyrometer a very helpful tool to keep you pressure right.

Back