Tie Rod Question

KlubFoot

My truck has got a bit of a wander to it. I popped my head underneath the front end and realized it is in need of all new tie rods. I would like to replace both inner and outer as well as the sleeves all at once. I am considering using MOOG brand parts and wanted some feedback on the quality of this brand or any suggestions for others.

Also, I know I will need an alignment after the parts are installed, but is there anything else I should consider replacing/checking during the install?

I do have plans for dropped beams and all new ES bushings in the future, but funds are holding me back for the time being. For now I am just trying to get her driving down the road straight and nice and tight.

Thanks for any input.

I just did this. You can get a complete Moog steering setup (inner and outer tie rods, sleeves and the drag link) for like $85 on Amazon.com from Auto Parts Midwest. I would do the swaybar bushings at the same time. Did you adjust the steering box at all?

I would do the ball joints as well unless you are sure they are good to go for a long time. All of the bushings also contribute to how tight the front end feels while driving, so it's usually best to do everything at once.

I like Moog parts for the most part. Never had much trouble with them. Once trick I learned when I did the ball joints on my gen 2 is that there are some Moog components that have a T at the end of the part number. If you can get those, get them. This means it is designed for truck service and has a bronze insert to carry the load instead of plastic.

I would do the ball joints as well unless you are sure they are good to go for a long time. All of the bushings also contribute to how tight the front end feels while driving, so it's usually best to do everything at once.

I like Moog parts for the most part. Never had much trouble with them. Once trick I learned when I did the ball joints on my gen 2 is that there are some Moog components that have a T at the end of the part number. If you can get those, get them. This means it is designed for truck service and has a bronze insert to carry the load instead of plastic.

The ball joints were replaced by the PO within the last year and still look great. I do plan to replace them anyways when I do the drop beams though. Good info about the T in the part number!

- - - Updated - - -

I just did this. You can get a complete Moog steering setup (inner and outer tie rods, sleeves and the drag link) for like $85 on Amazon.com from Auto Parts Midwest. I would do the swaybar bushings at the same time. Did you adjust the steering box at all?

I did adjust the steering box already. It took the slop out of the wheel. Now it feels like the truck follows the road rather than maintaining a straight path. Great info on where to buy the parts! I priced everything out from Summit and I was at $200+ with the drag link!

Back