The "stock" fuel system "how-to" thread

StruckBy

FAST Eddie ;)
well lately there has been some threads/posts about upgrading the stock fuel pumps/removing the gas tank(s). So I had some fuel components that I ran across and thought some pics would be helpful.
Granted this is no new or "earth shattering" information but I think we all agree some pics with a little explanation always helps. Or perhaps there are a few people who have not had the chance to get into the tank yet.

So here we go.....

What you see here is called the "FDM" or Fuel Delivery Module. It consists of a canister, that houses the pump, check valves, and float. This is exactly what you pull out of the tank after you remove the external locking ring on the top of the tank.
IMG_18291.JPG

Last edited:
note in this same pic you can see some yellow pieces of tape and some red pieces of tape. Behind the yellow pieces are the screws that hold the float on that you must remove to seperate the "cup" from the rest of the assembly. The red pieces of tape go around the top perimeter and locate where the plastic locking tabs are that must be gently "pryed" to also seperate the cup.
IMG_18291.JPG

this is a top view of a 1993 FDM with the FEED and RETURN lines labeled. The FEED is larger than the RETURN. On the 1994 and 1995 there is no electrical socket on top of the the FDM
IMG_1828.JPG

Once you seperate the cup from the rest of the assembly this is what you are left with. Here you have a good view of how the pump sits up in the check valve assembly.
Note in this pic the style of the stock pump and how the wires attach as opposed to a Mustang style 190 lph pump which technically plugs in..

IMG_18331.JPG

In his photo you can see the inside of the "cup" and how the screen on the bottom of the pump drops into a specific part of the cup. The plastic stem you see sticking up goes into a hole in the bottom of the check valve assembly....

IMG_18321.JPG

This is your typical 190 lph pump kit. You will only need the pump and a hacksaw blade.

OK see in this pic how there is a plastic rectangular portion at the bottom?
Inside the plasctic are the electrical terminals to the pump. You take a hacksaw bladde and carefully cut away the plastic around the electrical connector going almost to the body of the pump You'll kind of know what to do when you get it in your hands...

WALBRO-FUEL-PUMP.jpg

at this point you solder the red and black wires onto the new pump and reverse the disassembly process. What you will find is that its kind of a tight fit to jamb the cup back together with the top of the FDM but it will go and those screws labeled with yellow tape that hold the float on will hold the whole thing together..

More info to come.....

Great going, Ed!

BTW, I don't think the check valve is in the FDM... I believe it's in the supply line.

Great going, Ed!

BTW, I don't think the check valve is in the FDM... I believe it's in the supply line.

yeah your right Jeff there is some kind of check valve in the line just before the fuel rails. There are some kind of valving in the top of the FDM's. I need to get a messed up one and just totally destroy it and open it up for all to see.

I will post some more pics of the actual fuel lines with the check valve and to show how I eliminated the mid-tank and how I installed the in-line pump.

EE

You are doing a super job on this StruckBy. Thanks. I now see myself able to do this!

Question on the safety issue of removing and opening a fuel tank. What precautions would you (or anyone having done this) suggest (like no smoking I'd guess)?HaHa

Of course I see this after I come in from removing my rear tank and pump. LOL! Ed you are the man!

Back