The Stay Puft Marshmallow Truck

Bootleggers DLX

Shifts Happen
I decided that it was time to actually build myself a rig to tow around my other rigs with. I never really was a fan of anything longer than a regular cab shortbox, but this truck came along in a trade that I couldn't pass up.

D3KcWBfl.jpg

Thats the day i limped it home, with a blown brake line, a burnt clutch, and a LOT of peanut shells on the floorboards.

The truck is a 1993 F350, 2wd, 351W, 5 speed. Truck was originally from Texas, and came up to Iowa about 8 years ago. It sat for a few months, as i was thinking about just parting it out. But i finally started digging in, fixed the brake lines, did a few upgrades. Here's where i was after a bit of elbow grease.

lnJgwJXl.jpg

I had just limped the truck down to the car wash in that last pic to hose off the last few years of nastyness, and was heading back into the shop to replace the burnt clutch. But as soon as the trans was out and the flywheel was off... it was apparent that i needed to give the engine some love.

SN6IfY9l.jpg

Always happens like that, doesn't it?? All because the rear main was leaking and the oil pan was soft.

The engine got a re-gasket, a new oil pump, oil pan, timing chain, some headers to replace the nasty cracked manifolds, and a delete of all the Air Pump system. Nothing mind blowing at that time, because i was still on a pretty shoestring budget. It looked good going together tho!

AQXIOaLl.jpg

Got the truck on the road, put a custom Dual 2.5" into single 3" exhaust on it, and I thought I was good to go... for like 400 miles, until the replacement clutch hydraulics blew out on me.

The truck sat for a year at that point, partially because I was pissed at it, partially because I got busy with work, with promotions with other projects, with life in general.

So lets fast forward to like Last Christmas. Decided to finally swap the clutch hydraulics out.

PfpbGQol.jpg

This was a far too familiar sight. In total, i went through three clutch hydraulic setups, before i found out that the "improved design" of coupling wouldn't hold up, and the factory ford design was no longer available. I got really good at pulling the trans in and out tho, pops and I were down to under and hour to get it out or in.

We finally decided to go hot rod route with it.

2SYPgfMl.jpg

Adapters were made to allow me to run an AN-3 line on the system. Life got better then, and just in time, because we had the truck running for all of 24 hours before we got to go test it.

6uYfwtll.jpg

Pops and i gassed up on a cold, blistery January day and went ot central Illinois and back. Truck ran flawless. In this pic, you see the parts car, you cant really see the bed was full of parts, the back seat was full of parts, the car was stuffed full of parts, and i had tires strapped to the front of the trailer tongue.

After getting home, and fixing the wiper motor that died on the truck on our adventure, the truck saw some daily driving and some small adventures, but nothing crazy. A hung up brake caliper brings us to the current situation with the truck.

So, driving home from work one day in Stay Puft, and i noticed the right front caliper seemed to be hanging up. got it in the shop, and the "Might as wells" kicked in.

wpEdkfel.jpg

7kiafdml.jpg

7Wn6rebl.jpg

Note that I broke my finger during assembly. It slowed me down, but didnt stop me. The front ended up getting Drop beams, shocks, Radius arm bushings, new pads, rotors calipers and hoses, and new ball joints.

pvXeM4Ul.jpg

The truck went outside long enough for a few photos, and back in it goes!

xfODeAAl.jpg

7DhJhVTl.jpg

I was so happy to see that big bulky bumper go. it will look great on a 4x4 project, but not on Stay Puft.

q5GKAlnl.jpg

Decided to replace both rear tanks and pumps at the same time, im right there...

MNdnoHgl.jpg

enGFCEyl.jpg

hqII59rl.jpg

j3uqGsTl.jpg

I replaced all the leaf spring bushings while i was there. Moving the overload spring brackets and redrilling the holes on the frame was a total chore, but we got it.

KFeRiD6l.jpg

And there's the truck as of today. Waiting for a few more parts to come in, then ready to toss the bed back on.

Awesome. Not to many lowered F350’s around especially single rear wheel trucks. One day I’ll tollow suit lol

Awesome. Not to many lowered F350’s around especially single rear wheel trucks. One day I’ll tollow suit lol

Thank you! As much as i like my regular cab shortboxes, i wanted a truck that would effortlessly hook up, roll down the highway for hours on end, and drag toys to and from home. I'm starting to get more into autocross racing as of late, and as cool as it is to drive across the state, race what you brung, and drive home, I'm always worried about some sort of breakage, so this truck fills that void.

Eventually, I'd like to tug out the windsor for a 460/ 5 speed setup... but im not going to push too hard for that at this point.

I'd like to tug out the windsor for a 460/ 5 speed setup... but im not going to push too hard for that at this point.

Really like the truck. For me if it's not a standard cab shortbed then it has to be a 4 door crew. Never liked the extended cab in our body style.

460 wouldn't be that big of an improvement over what you have now. Just an even bigger gas hog. If you ever swap it go 7.3 powerstroke or 5.9 cummins with a manual tranny.

Really like the truck. For me if it's not a standard cab shortbed then it has to be a 4 door crew. Never liked the extended cab in our body style.

460 wouldn't be that big of an improvement over what you have now. Just an even bigger gas hog. If you ever swap it go 7.3 powerstroke or 5.9 cummins with a manual tranny.

My other 4 460 powered trucks would argue with you on both power and mileage vs. the 351W. but then again, I dont plan to put in a stock 460, if i do it, either...

although, the 12v cummins/5 speed swap comes up in discussions a lot...

For now, the Windsor stays. and the engine swap will probably just dictate whichever one i find a good enough deal on.

Turn your top shackle bolt around so you can get it out of the bushing if needed. Nut goes frame side. Ask me how I learned that...
Great project!

Turn your top shackle bolt around so you can get it out of the bushing if needed. Nut goes frame side. Ask me how I learned that...
Great project!

Well, as i've done several shackle sets on these trucks before (yay iowa) I originally put it together that way, nut on the inside. But then i quickly discovered that the bolt makes contact with the shackle hanger that way as the suspension travels.

I didnt like this solution, but I'm going to live with it, knowing that I'll probably pull the box if i ever need to tear it all apart again. And yes, antiseize was used. just not liberally.

I used the gorgeous weather this afternoon to button up some loose ends. Got both tanks all hooked up and installed, got a rear bumper on, wired up my 7 way plug, got a bunch of other small wiring fixed, replaced the fuel filter, bled the rear brakes.... i think we are ready for the bed.

ITBCFkgl.jpg

I decided i wanted to try this trick. People say using a 99-up Ford F-super duty bed bolt kit is slick, and I can see why. The frame mounted cage nut, along with the carriage bolt with an allen head drive in it means i can easily zip the bed off from inside the bed, no fussing with spinning carriage bolts, or trying to hold the nut from the bottom side.

JAsA23El.jpg

Got the truck fired up, cruised it down to the local car wash, and to the gas station. Got all the moldy mess off the back of the cab, and put $10 in each tank, to verify both pumps were operational, and both fuel gauges worked.

BXGg7Gql.jpg

W8oqApQl.jpg

ACLXPs6l.jpg

Bed's going on tomorrow night after work!

I always say I’m going to do the newer super duty bolts and captured nuts but I never do. And with how much my beds come off it would make life easier lol.

I always say I’m going to do the newer super duty bolts and captured nuts but I never do. And with how much my beds come off it would make life easier lol.

I'm going to be converting every one of my trucks to them as soon as the beds come off the next time. they went in so smoothly! i put a dab of anti-seize on them, ran them down wit hmy 3/8" cordless impact, and was on my way!

I was concerned about length, and about the drivers center ( on a longbox) having issues with running into the wiring and fuel lines, but eveything went so smooth!

For anyone who does do this on a longbox, you will need to lightly grind the center two holes. they are square for the carriage bolts, and will just need a bot of massaging on the top hole for the super duty bolts to fit.

So, over the weekend, got Stay Puft assembled.

YbmnCsll.jpg

Box set on. the rear settled about another inch after i drove it.

tHQJN3bl.jpg

Fun times doing stuff like sorting out wiring ( someone previously had hacked out the bed plug, so i had to graft a new setup in) hooking up filler necks, stuff like that. It's a bunch of tedious details.

wkvDe62l.jpg

About 10 pm, Saturday night, took the truck on it's maiden voyage. Took my wife and my pops to go get ice cream.

The next morning, gassed up Stay Puft, and once again wifey and pops hopped in, we went on a 100 mile trip to go get a new couch. didnt get any loaded pics, but got to Drive puffy up on the grass!

XjFAM2ll.jpg

^ no, the new rear bumper isnt twisted, its just funny lighting or camera tomfoolery.

And then, Monday, decided that my big white truck needed a little more cool.

n9b5CLDl.jpg

Overall, I've put on about 250 miles since Saturday. I still havent hit the alignment rack, i was waiting for the springs to settle, but the truck is driving arrow straight, so im going to wait until my next day off. I also need to get the hitch swung up and under the truck, and swap the muffler out for a different unit ( this one has a rattle to it, driving me nuts). but I'm glad that this particular section of mods is done, and I can drive the truck again! Stay Puft sits proudly in the lineup, waiting for me to drive him to work every day now.

BY7OYxTl.jpg

I love this sight. it's a beautiful thing to me.

TBQ6VDal.jpg

What's been new with Stay Puft? Not a lot, honestly, just a bunch of miles, towing home some projects, chasing parts, daily driving when I feel the urge to battle for a parking spot at Wal Mart.

The powdercoated steelies and dog dishes were working, but i felt that the factory Alcoa wheels from a 95 3/4 ton would look better.

dOgD8Xql.jpg

and, after the proper re-torquing procedures, i finally got the center caps on it.

vwfJZUml.jpg

Now, more driving, and slowly gathering parts for bodywork and interior upgrades!

Back