T-trim low boost

HL8A

I have a new combination and switched from a V1 S-trim to a V1 T-trim per Vortech’s recommendation. It’s a 410 with Edelbrock E205 heads and a custom grind blower cam. I’m running the same pulleys I had on the S-trim(6.87/2.95 and tried a 2.7). I had someone get the Holley HP up and running and tune it for me but it’s only making 4lbs of boost and I’m trying to run 10-12lbs. I asked Vortech if I just needed a different pulley arrangement but they suggested that either the engine is too efficient or there is a restriction. I’m using the Vortech mount and I have a 4” inlet pipe and 3” discharge routed like the original pipe would be so I don’t think a restriction would be the issue. Just curious if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks

Attachments

• 69418D04-72CF-476C-B703-0DEAE4A5010C.jpeg
    69418D04-72CF-476C-B703-0DEAE4A5010C.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 34
I have a new combination and switched from a V1 S-trim to a V1 T-trim per Vortech’s recommendation. It’s a 410 with Edelbrock E205 heads and a custom grind blower cam. I’m running the same pulleys I had on the S-trim(6.87/2.95 and tried a 2.7). I had someone get the Holley HP up and running and tune it for me but it’s only making 4lbs of boost and I’m trying to run 10-12lbs. I asked Vortech if I just needed a different pulley arrangement but they suggested that either the engine is too efficient or there is a restriction. I’m using the Vortech mount and I have a 4” inlet pipe and 3” discharge routed like the original pipe would be so I don’t think a restriction would be the issue. Just curious if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks

What boost did it make before?

Any signs of belt slippage(black dust around the blower and pulley)?

Mark the pulley and belt, got to be some slippage. From the picture you are using the Vortech big water pump pulley deal? And you maxed out on lateral tension?

Just going off of the pic you have, it looks like you could get a slightly longer belt and run it around the other side of the tensioner, so that it wraps around the the blower pulley more as you tighten it. My bracket is a little different than yours, but the attached pic gives you an idea.

Attachments

• Belt Wrap.jpg
    Belt Wrap.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 14
Thanks guys. I don’t see any dust from the belt but when I got it home I noticed it did eat 2 ribs off the belt. I was making 10lbs with the S-trim with 351cubic inches, performer heads and an E cam. I believe I also had the belt routed as Matt suggested also so I’ll mark everything, reroute the belt and check for slippage. Thanks again

That upper pulley is going to be super hard to not have belt slip on.

First thing you need to switch to is an 8” lower and either a 3.47 or 3.33 upper (one will spin it a little more and one a little less then your current pulley combo)

Definitely switch idler around to get more belt wrap. Auto tensioner would be good if you can fab it up.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

First thing you need to switch to is an 8” lower and either a 3.47 or 3.33 upper (one will spin it a little more and one a little less then your current pulley combo)
Thanks. If I switch to the 8 inch lower pulley I am assuming that I would illuminate the giant Vortech water pump pulley and spacer and run a stock water pump pulley leaving the blower belt to only run on the crankshaft, supercharger and tensioner pulleys?

Just to second what everyone else has said, gotta change that tensioner pulley position so that it increases belt wrap. You'll have to change the pulley on the tensioner as well since it's currently for the ribbed side of the belt.

Thanks. If I switch to the 8 inch lower pulley I am assuming that I would illuminate the giant Vortech water pump pulley and spacer and run a stock water pump pulley leaving the blower belt to only run on the crankshaft, supercharger and tensioner pulleys?

Yes, you will need a cobra water pump pulley also.

Just for comparison, my combo is a little smaller (mods in signature)but makes 14psi on 8” lower and a 3.47 upper. Also have a like new 3.33 upper pulley that I have no need for if you need one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just for comparison, my combo is a little smaller (mods in signature)but makes 14psi on 8” lower and a 3.47 upper. Also have a like new 3.33 upper pulley that I have no need for if you need one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I appreciate it. I actually have a 3.47 and a 3.33 from a different project so I ordered the 8” pulley today. Thanks for your help.

For the 3.33 with an 8 you might end up around 59.5in (outside length) belt like a Gates Fleet Runner K080590HD - at least that was the sweet spot for mine. It’s tight enough you have to roll it on by turning the crank pulley but loose enough to allow the tensioner to push it tight.

I just wanted to thank you guys. I know it’s been a few months but I had a few other things to do to the truck. I installed the 8” lower, 3.33 blower pulley and changed the tensioner and routing arrangement and have plenty of boost!

Back