Suspension Difference - Lightning versus Standard F150

snakebit95

Supporting Vendor
Hey guys,
I am curious as to what differences there are in the suspension between the stock F150 and the Lightning. I have a 1996 F150 with the stock 351W, and want to obtain a similar stance to the Lightning along with better handling. My truck feels like an unstable boat riding the big rolling waves on the highway. I already have a set of 17" Lightning wheels I plan to use to replace the stock 15" wheels; which should stiffen the sidewalls a bit since they will be shorter. I am also planning to drop the rear so that it is level with the front. I will probably use shackles and hangers to do the rear. Was there any difference with the sway-bars, springs, shocks, e.t.c.?

Thanks!!
Wayne

The springs have a different rate than a regular F-150. If you can find someone that has a set of springs from a Lightning for sale, that will help with the handling. Also if you could get the sway bars that would help a great deal.

Mad,
So you are for sure the front/rear sway-bars are different? Perhaps different diameters from the standard F150's? If so, are they still available or is there an aftermarket alternative for our trucks? Thanks again!!

They're stiffer, larger diameter, and I believe they are discontinued. There's a front & rear set for sale in the classifieds section (Gen 1 Parts).

Another "Lightning Clone" Sweet!!! I dropped my 96 2" In the rear Its looks cool "LEVEL"

Constable said:
There's a front & rear set for sale in the classifieds section (Gen 1 Parts).

Yup :bigtu: Those aren't mine, but I do have front and rear springs that I would sell if you are interested. :D

Best 96 said:
Another "Lightning Clone" Sweet!!! I dropped my 96 2" In the rear Its looks cool "LEVEL"

Well...I was not really planning to do a full Lightning clone. My truck has chrome bumpers and trim (which I like), but I will probably ditch the side molding and maybe the F150 badging to clean it up a bit. I have always liked the Lightning wheels on our body style trucks, so I purchased a set from the classifieds that I am going to polish to match the chrome bumpers / trim. I do want to better the handling though, and also drop the rear since it comes jacked-up from the factory.

i'd rec, going with the bel tech drop kit, new i-beams for the front and shackles and hangers in the rear. but that's mo

Lightning Struck said:
There's 20,000 Gen 1's on the road!

And ford only made 11,000 of'em;)

They are just filling in the gaps left by the lost souls that are no longer with us :D

I know where you are coming from on the clones. I own a true SVT 1995 Cobra, and I get a bit annoyed when I get asked "Is that a real Cobra?". Before I purchased my truck, I was looking for a Lightning to park next to the Cobra; but found a great deal on my 96 F150 before I found a Lightning. It had the 351W (which I definitely wanted), and it is a factory mass-air truck; which seems to be what most Lightning owners are converting to. I have owned the truck for 8-years, and feel like it is time to "modernize" it a bit. I have looked at new trucks a few times, and the asking prices make me sick. The sales people insult me with offers for my truck, and I can not see giving my truck away (which is paid for), for a huge monthly payment in return. OK.....enough of my ranting.

On a side note, my truck suffered some hail damage a couple nights ago; so it will be getting a new hood and some paint work. When I get is back together, I will post some photos.

And I don't mean butchered like cut up for bigger tires, or stripped interior before I get flamed for that, I mean like "The Super Duper Grandpa Starter Kit" from JC Whitney kind of butchered.

The way i see it is I paid off my 96 in Late 2000 I have no Truck Payments
Insted of buying a new F-150 witch i don't like plus i don't want to pay 20,000 + For a new truck. I'll just restore mine and make it better.

I think this is the best Generation F-150

Well of corse 1955 F-100

Back