Stupid SES light! ;-(

cbxer55

Stupid Service Engine Soon light came on again. Bought a scanner, and got a P0171, lean on bank 1. Pulled the fuel filter, and it was real hard to blow through it. Bought a new one, and it was easier. So changed it out, and 100 miles later the light is still out.

Thought it kind of strange, lean on one side only. If it was a vacuum leak, like that pesky 90 degree elbow behind the manifold, it would show on both bank, one would think. Wierd, but then, if it was low fuel pressure from a plugged filter, you would think it would show on both sides as well.

Hope it lasts this time.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Light went off again Saturday night, the 12th. Reset it and now I have two pending codes, 171 and 174. Guess this means that vacuum elbow behind and below the supercharger is rotten.

I am mechanically inclined, but would definitely appreciate some on hand help with removing the blower so I can change out this POS. I read elsewhere that it is best to replace the elbow with some 3/8 transmission line and a double barb fitting. So that is the route I intend to follow, so this does not occur again.

Probably clean the i/c and plug up the silencer holes while the blower is off. I have not observed any oil in my intake since I bought this truck, and installed a separator some time ago, which has not caught a lot of oil in the last year. So hopefully the i/c will not be too bad, maybe some ceramic chips off of the rotors?

The problem ended up being one I created. I had replaced the oil filler cap with a breather, and the breather hose on the drivers side with another breather. Since my PCV system is still active, the engine was taking in unmetered air through the two breathers, causing a lean condition. Normally all air into the crankcase comes from the drivers side hose, which gets it from the elbow, downstream from the MAF, so its metered.

OOPS.

The two big vacuum hoses on the drivers side, one to the brakes, the other to some unknown device, were both bad, when I touched them my hands turned black. The one on the back was replaced at some Ford dealership in Nov.08, I have a receipt in a book I got with the truck. It'll go bad again, I am sure. I can see it with a mirror and bright flashlight, and for now it looks clean and damage free, almost new in appearance.

Lucked out in this case.

Back