Steps in the Right Direction - Build Thread for my two Lightnings

Think I found the problem!

c905afd2eac77c7c5efe31966ebb3313.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Those blue cylinders are capacitors, or "caps" for short. You can see the black spots on the circuit boards that've been caused by their failure.

I should've taken a picture of the ecu from my red truck before I installed it so you can see the difference.

I'd like to try to fix it myself.

d863d5884184ce5870995924dd3f0da0.jpg

Last edited:
I think that's a reflection in the coating, but I'll give it a closer look this evening. Thanks for pointing it out!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Just a guess since I'm on a much tighter converter than I used to be, so I don't expect it to leave with much enthusiasm. I'll be happy anywhere in the lower half of the 11s at 125 or so. It may walk right past that, but I'm trying to set my expectations as something realistic for my first outing with the truck in 13 years. I haven't made a pass in any vehicle in over two years, so I'm a little short on seat time. And I'm driving there, and need to drive it home, so I really need the heads to stay on the block!

I drove around on the new Mickeys some on Sunday, and it feels great on them. Driver's side gets into the outer lip of the fender a little, but it seems to be more of a rub than a cut a this point.

I'm also really curious to see if I run into the spark issue I had before when I start to turn the boost up.

Well, all that shook out exactly as I had expected!! Napkin math (and some experience) FTW!

Did you have any spark issues?

Nope, since the last time I made a pass, I've redone the plug wires, ditched the ignition box and put in a new coil. It pulled very cleanly all the way down the track. Transmission banged the shifts right where it was set to. I was really pleased with everything given the fact I haven't made a pass in it in so long. Now I'm itching for a new torque converter and the 'nads to put some timing in it.

First two passes were awful. I'd messed around with Brett's and Mikes tunes and something from one of those was still hung up in my tune - first pass it wouldn't shift, second pass it had a speed limiter (I guess) at 90 mph. So, I just reloaded the backup I'd saved before Spookfest last year. The only changes I've made in the past year have been fiddling around with the idle. Then it went 12.0@119 at 10 psi and I started sneaking the boost up pass by pass from there. I also raised the launch control RPM by 100.

So that the current status is in this thread, here's my best pass from spookfest 2021.

16 psi (210 kpa)
826bf6e8473e14282798a2898cb45380.jpg

b776e95a57e45f3cf8dd16b0487b8f07.jpg

Back