Steps in the Right Direction - Build Thread for my two Lightnings

I ordered a short resonator that I'll install behind the axle just to see if it'll take the edge off a bit. It's not obnoxious by any stretch, but it's definitely more intrusive than my other vehicles. It sounds pretty much like I'm driving around with a long, open downpipe. Because, well... I am!

A heat shield is ordered to isolate the filter from the exhaust a little, and provide a bit of splash protection. I installed a filter sock yesterday. NGK TR6s and an oil change this weekend, plus the boost control solenoid install, and that should about wrap up the project.

I ordered a short resonator that I'll install behind the axle just to see if it'll take the edge off a bit. It's not obnoxious by any stretch, but it's definitely more intrusive than my other vehicles. It sounds pretty much like I'm driving around with a long, open downpipe. Because, well... I am!

A heat shield is ordered to isolate the filter from the exhaust a little, and provide a bit of splash protection. I installed a filter sock yesterday. NGK TR6s and an oil change this weekend, plus the boost control solenoid install, and that should about wrap up the project.
What boost solenoid you going to run? I went with a 3 port and running mine in open loop. Works really well actually. I also have mine emulating the "sloppy mechanics" "dial a boost". Essentially I have it set up to where I go up 2 psi over wastegate pressure every time I click to the next position. Super easy to do.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I have a leftover magnaflo center in center out if you need it. We can trade for some BBQ. 😃

I have a leftover magnaflo center in center out if you need it. We can trade for some BBQ. 😃

I went directly to the Magnaflow website when I decided I wanted to tame it a little, but they didn't have anything as small as I wanted, so I'm going with a cheap Chinesium special to try it out.

I'm using the Ecoboost 'noid that Stinger sells and will control it with the PxS. It's worked great on the red truck, I've been through the process of learning how it works, so I'm sticking with it.

Installed the resonator behind the axle. Went with a Vibrant piece. It does a nice job of taming the rasp and knocking down the constant whistle. It's not a big, fat single muffler sound, but quieter and more mellow than no muffler at all. The truck wasn't loud by most standards, just not as mellow as I like. The only downside is the resonator and the clamps are very bright behind the rear tire, so they visually stick out more than I'd like.

The boost control solenoid is in and operational. The heat shield is installed.

Fresh sparkplugs are ready to go in (it starts to break up at ~7.5 psi, which I'm confident is significant loss of spark), so hopefully I'll get that done in the next few days and bring this chapter to a close.

I really can't say enough positive about the PxS ECU on a turbocharged vehicle. It took no time at all to get the air:fuel lined out. I drove it a bit with autotune set to do its thing at >100 kpa. Then I turned off autotune, datalogged, ran it through VE Analyze, and did some manual tweaking. Interestingly, I had to pull fuel out at higher loads/rpms, and add some in down low. The truck stalled on me a few times with abrupt, small, throttle movements, like changing from drive to reverse quickly - it would also surge under similar conditions. It NEVER did that prior to the turbo. So I fattened it up a little and bumped the idle advance up a few degrees to give it some extra timing adjustment range when hot - I'd never noticed before that the timing could get bottomed out when the MAT retard ramped up.

I told Cherie I was done modifying the white truck until I retire (I'm 58, and I won't work a day past my 63rd birthday). She laughed at me.

I changed the plugs, took a drive, and realized I needed some effort in the boost solenoid bias table. For some reason, slamming open a 50mm wastegate at low boost with a little turbo caused a bit of surging compared to opening a 38mm wastegate with a big turbo (I had pilfered all the boost control tables from the red truck).

She's singing now. Still loud when the wastegate opens, but I have it pointed towards the back of the truck, so it's worse for anyone behind me. I'll figure out a muffler for the wastegate outlet at some point.

How you liking the Comp turbo so far?

No complaints at all. I was a little concerned about response at first because it seemed a little reluctant to turn compared to my other ball bearing turbos, but after a few drive cycles, and once it's warmed up, no issues at all. You can hear it spinning down after key off and it takes at least 30 seconds to wind down.

Temperature rise is completely reasonable, and seems very efficient. When I open the throttle, temperature drops for a couple of seconds and then starts to rise with time. Highest I've seen so far is ~170 degrees, which is great for no intercooler.

No complaints at all. I was a little concerned about response at first because it seemed a little reluctant to turn compared to my other ball bearing turbos, but after a few drive cycles, and once it's warmed up, no issues at all. You can hear it spinning down after key off and it takes at least 30 seconds to wind down.

Temperature rise is completely reasonable, and seems very efficient. When I open the throttle, temperature drops for a couple of seconds and then starts to rise with time. Highest I've seen so far is ~170 degrees, which is great for no intercooler.
Good deal. I ordered 2 of the 67/67's in oiless but almost cancelled a few times. They take a long time to build and I started getting cold feet whether the oiless is a good idea or not. But it will be nice to remove my oiling system I suppose. Hoping they make similar power to the 67/66 precisions.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Back