Steps in the Right Direction - Build Thread for my two Lightnings

Which Comp turbo did you go with again? Interested to see how that oil less design does.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Lot of newer cars have oil less turbos

Local guy has Coyote car. It's twin comps under it

Gets a pump of grease every oil change. Been done since 2019 I think

Lot of newer cars have oil less turbos

Local guy has Coyote car. It's twin comps under it

Gets a pump of grease every oil change. Been done since 2019 I think
I thought about doing it too. But just wasn't sure how rugged they were. Plus they were about twice as much as what I spent on my twins. I'm keeping them in my radar though. Never know, might max out current turbos and need to upgrade.

They're definitely not the budget option, this probably isn't something I'd done if I hadn't had the turbo sitting on the shelf for a while. Even doing most of the work myself, using Amazon and Summit parts, etc, I'll probably have $3K in this when it's all said and done. That's ignoring that I'd already done the PxS, surge tank, injectors, etc.

Intended to wrap it up today, but I can't screw the 90 degree coolant fitting into the lower intake with the intake on the motor. So, two more fittings ordered and hopefully wrap it up this weekend.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

It's an older CT4-6767. I picked it up second hand. Seems to be happy. I'll have the bearing section upgraded in a couple of years.
Just ordered two 67/67's from Comp.. apparently I have hurt my precisions... Will see how they go.

Oh lord Derek, that's painful news!

Yes sir it is! I built the remote oiling system and it really worked as intended but perhaps it didn't have enough flow for journal bearing turbos. Cold the oil pressure would be like 70-80 psi but when and extended period of running hard or being hot it would hover around 40 psi. Probably should have went ball bearing from jump street. However I'm anxious to see what the Comps can do.

Well, she's alive and running pretty well. Only 5 lbs of boost at this point, which is all I can get on the spring. I have a boost control solenoid to install in a couple of weeks. Working on the tune, but it's not going to take a lot.

Two shocking things -
1) Holy moly this turbo makes a lot of noise compared to the red truck. Or the exhaust is just so much more noisy. The whistle is constant. The open wastegate doesn't help things at all when I'm on the throttle, but it's really not that obnoxious, except that it's a lot of noise for the amount of power it's currently making. I'm still thinking I'll muffle the wastegate and probably put a muffler in after the axle.

2) Air charge temperatures with no intercooler. Again, only 5 psi, but there is absolutely no rise under boost - it doesn't drop like the red truck does, but it doesn't climb significantly, either. I'm fascinated by that.

Lots of cold side pipe supports to figure out still. Currently a lot of zip ties holding everything so it doesn't bang. But everything is working great.

Boost response is just fine as far as I'm concerned. I figured it would be with the automatic transmission and looser-than-stock converter.

5 psi had to have added a good amount of passing power. What boost level are you going to try and target? considering recirculating the wastegate? Id assume at low boost it opens up quick. I keep debating recirculating mine.

It's definitely much more enthusiastic up in the revs.

I think I'll just muffle the wastegate. Little resonator muffler.

I'd think I can run 8 or 9 lbs safely and reliably with the PxS. I need to change the rear to a TrueTrac and probably 3.73s before I shatter the stock pieces because that is notably fragile.

Last edited:
It's definitely much more enthusiastic up in the revs.

I think I'll just muffle the wastegate. Little resonator muffler.

I'd think I can run 8 or 9 lbs safely and reliably with the PxS. I need to change the rear to a TruTrack and probably 3.73s before I shatter the stock pieces because that is notably fragile.

Stock ring and pinion still in my truck. I'm guessing if it was going to break it should have done it a long time ago.

That's a fluke! I've broken so many factory 8.8s over the years. Mostly on the drag strip, but my red truck failed on the street, thankfully not that far from my house at the time, and was able to tow strap it home. It's a lot cheaper to replace the parts before they fail than to wait until they grenade and pay for the tow home! Besides, I want the 3.73s to offset the cost of 93 octane a little.

That's a fluke! I've broken so many factory 8.8s over the years. Mostly on the drag strip, but my red truck failed on the street, thankfully not that far from my house at the time, and was able to tow strap it home. It's a lot cheaper to replace the parts before they fail than to wait until they grenade and pay for the tow home! Besides, I want the 3.73s to offset the cost of 93 octane a little.
Yeah I have thought a few times to buy a new set and have them treated for strength. Need to see how the 4.10's react with the new power plant at the track. Would like to move to 3.55's or something but don't want to sacrifice my 60'.

Interesting. I'm still on stock gears but I did switch to a limited slip a few years back. Never even considered the gears to be an potential issue.

Gotcha, well I got a locker so perhaps mine will live a bit.

Gotcha, well I got a locker so perhaps mine will live a bit.

Yeah it's definitely not the gears, like Jeff said the factory carrier and weak spider gears are what goes boom :)

Back