Starter Issues With My Nissan ...

bumperquip

I'm obsessing over recent starter losses in my 1999 Nissan Maxima and their frequency (three starter replacements in three months) and I'm now second guessing whether my recurrent issue is actually the starters at all. I mean three brand new (aftermarket) and/or newly remanufactured (aftermarket) faulty starters in as many months?! Statistically this just seems so improbable. So, I'm looking to issues outside of the starter itself and if you guys have any insight, feel free to chime in.

My most recent failure revealed itself with (and these are all images in my own head based on what I think I know about a starter's mechanical operation) a freely spinning unengaged starter. I turned the key and immediately it was obvious that the pinion gear was not properly thrown out, it did not engage the flywheel/drive plate and it was just spinning.

In this case also, upon turning the ignition off and even removing the key from the ignition, the starter continued to spin. The only means of shutting things down was to disconnect the battery.

My first thought was “starter” which has since been transplanted and the car starts fine … for now.

But, in thinking more, I thought … “ignition switch”. But this had been replaced last summer with a new OEM Nissan switch.

Then I thought, ignition “lock cylinder”. Why else would voltage continue to be delivered to the starter even after the ignition key was turned off if something in the ignition system wasn’t malfunctioning?

... and BTW, upon leaving the car sit in the garage for the day with the battery disconnected and returning after work hours to replace the apparent faulty unit, that apparent faulty unit started the car as if nothing ever happened.

Other thoughts?

More expertise?

Similar experience?

... as a matter of fact ...

That's pretty sweet right there.
5332167ec78caeaf40ed454da32a5ac8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Two things... maybe... whether they’re reman or new, they’re going to have new solenoids for extending the pinion that engages the flywheel. Could be crappy batch of solenoids from China.

Don’t know nuthin ‘bout no jap cars, but some older model ‘Merican cars, the starter had to be shimmed so that it engaged properly - did yours have shims? Or any “extra” parts “left over” from the first starter replacement?

If you're getting voltage to the starter in any position other than "start",I'd be looking at the ignition switch assy and related circuit.

Check your switch

But i will say this

My duramax starter lasted a long time
When i went for my 2nd built trans the starter was broke when removed aka wire on it had issue

Put new after market. lasted maybe 2 months tops

I thought batterys was weak but was new. Starter died
So i did another aftermarket starter. It had to much torque. Aka u had to barely touch the key or it would start and barely stay engaged for split second
These are fun to install on these. I have aftermarket exhaust aka bigger piping

I said screw it and ponied up for a OEM ac delco unit. Knock on wood it has been amazing so far.

Im starting to go more and more oem stuff. Im tired of changing out junk aftermarket parts

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Check your switch

But i will say this

My duramax starter lasted a long time
When i went for my 2nd built trans the starter was broke when removed aka wire on it had issue

Put new after market. lasted maybe 2 months tops

I thought batterys was weak but was new. Starter died
So i did another aftermarket starter. It had to much torque. Aka u had to barely touch the key or it would start and barely stay engaged for split second
These are fun to install on these. I have aftermarket exhaust aka bigger piping

I said screw it and ponied up for a OEM ac delco unit. Knock on wood it has been amazing so far.

Im starting to go more and more oem stuff. Im tired of changing out junk aftermarket parts

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input Billy and I may likely end up popping for the OE starter.

However, I have researched some interesting information that I was not even on my radar.

With my recent non-OEM starter installs, I have not even thought to clean and/or prep the starter-to-engine-block mating surfaces.

The starter being grounded via the contact between these surfaces, coatings, paint or other contaminants can lead to poor contact and a bad ground thereby resulting in poor starter operation, malfunction and even failure (ding-ding-sing).

Oddly enough my starter glitches, that include all of the performance issues associated with a poorly grounded starter and my starter failures, all began with my install of my first aftermarket starter in this car.

I'm thinking and I'm encouraged that this is the issue.

Believe me, this weekend I'll be doing to some bumperquip-esque detailing on a parts and surfaces no one will ever see.

Back