MAX. LIFT (LOBE)= .27634"
NET VALVE LIFT= .44214"(1.6 ratio)
LOBE AREA= 20.67"

And for the stock Mustang 5.0 HO camshaft:
INTAKE AND EXHAUST LOBE SEPARATION ANGLE: 115.8 degrees
VALVE OVERLAP AT .050= -19.3 CRANK DEGREES

INTAKE:
valve opening: -9.6BTDC
Lobe centerline 115 degrees(ground with .8 degrees advance)
valve closure: 40.7 degrees ABDC
duration: 211 crank degrees
lobe lift .2774"
Valve lift (1.6 rocker)= .44384"
Lobe area= 21.36" degree

EXHAUST:
valve opening: 42.3 bbdc
lobe center: 116.6
valve closure:-9.6degrees
duration: 212.7 degrees crank degrees
lobe lift: .27736"
Valve lift: .44378"
lobe area= 21.45 in degree

Is the pushrod length using a 95 mustang HO cam, lifters and pushrods, be the right length for a 94 L?

Hey guys, dont get mad at me for ignorance, but am I to understand that you can use a 302 HO cam in a Lightning? I know that the cam will fit, but my real question is does it have the same dist. gear? I know the 351W uses a 5/16" drive rod, as opposed to a 1/4" on a 302. I also know that doesnt have anything to do with the cam, but sometimes Ford changes cam gears for the fun of it too?

Also is the stock 351W in a regular F150 cam different than a Lightning cam? The reason I ask is: would it be worth the effort/money/time to put a HO 302 cam in a regular F150? I have a '94 F150 with a 351W and an E4OD in it.

Thanks guys.:eek:ldtu:

The 302 HO roller would be about two steps up from a stock flat tappet cam in a standard 351w. I believe they have duration in the high 180's @ .050". So it would be a great Speed Density upgrade on a standard F-150!

You would have to make sure you have an F4TE block in your F-150 which is roller compatible. I trail fit a 302 HO roller cam and lifters in a C9OE and E9AE and it will not work in either non-roller block. You must have the taller lifter bores of a 5.0 HO block or 351 F4TE block to make the roller lifters and hold-downs ("dog bones" and "spider") work.

It would take a small base circle cam to work in a non-roller 351w block with stock type 5.0 lifters, spider and dog bones. Even then you have to grind the block in the lifter valley near the top of the lifter bores to make the stock type roller components work. You also have to drill and tap the valley in two of the cam journals to bolt the spider down in the valley. I have done these mods to retrofit a small base circle cam with stock 5.0 roller hardware in an early 351w block and it worked superbly. However, if you don't have the skills to do this:?, Don't Attempt It Without Professional Assistance. You can cause a disaster equal to current U.S. economy;m.

Don

ok now i have a question. swapping in a 302 HO came in a f150 5.0 make much difference? or where would be a good place to check my factory cam specs? is the came out of a late 80s thunderbird 5.0 the same HO cam from a mustang? also will it mess with the computer much? sorry for all the questions but am getting ready to swap to tube gt40 intake and few other bolt ons this winter.

I am interested in a cam swap too. I don't have a lightning, but i have a 94 F150 with the 5.8. I think i want to try to get away with speed density. I've been looking at Crower's 15511 or 15510 cam, Edelbrock makes one too. I've been looking and trying to figure out what i would like best but still haven't picked anything yet. My truck completely runs out of power after 5000rpm. Rev limit is at 5800.

search *cam* in the reg gen 1 section. u will find plenty of info. and dont run that pos 5.0 cam uless u add a blower.

I currently have a Vortech supercharger already and i occasionally spray a 50 shot through it. I've sprayed a 100 through it before along side 8 psi of boost.

Truck has a stock long block, E4OD tranny, stock fuel system, Vortech supercharger, nitrous express, 1.7 roller rockers, 1 5/8 shorty headers dual 2.5" all the way back. I guess the only reason it has all held together this far is my air fuel is stays under 10.0 until about 5000rpm, but i usually shift at 4800.

running it to rich is bad aslo...try to get it to 11.5 at least. also u should be able to shift at 52-5500 at least.

with the stock e7/f4 heads id just wait on the cam till u get some decent heads. if you swa the cam,you will need springs plus all the pasrts to go roller,if its not already.

Cool, yeah i might just wait until I'm ready and get some AFR's with a nice cam. I'm going to get an adjustable fmu and see if i can lean it out just a bit.

Cool, yeah i might just wait until I'm ready and get some AFR's with a nice cam. I'm going to get an adjustable fmu and see if i can lean it out just a bit.

what fmu do you have? if it is a vortech just change the disc. summit sells disc kits.

Back