Spec Miata?

JFX001

Carpe Cerevisi !!!
Guys,

I am looking into this series for racing.
It looks relatively cost effective, and the cars are plentiful.

Anyone have any ideas about this series?

Thanks,
JFX

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JFX001:
I am looking into this series for racing.
It looks relatively cost effective, and the cars are plentiful.

Anyone have any ideas about this series?
</font>

Spec Miata seems to be getting more popular, and I like it because emphasizes the driver more than the car (unlike, say, Improved Touring or Production). I thought about getting a Spec Miata as my first racecar but opted for the SE-R because I'm more familiar with it (driving and working on it
wink.gif
).

Spec Miata is a great low-buck way to race!
smile.gif

------------------
Pat
'00 Lightning, #981
'91 Sentra SE-R, SCCA/NASA racecar
'93 Sentra SE-R, sold :(

Can you guys post a link to some info? Im thinking of getting into road racing and would like to race a "cool" car, not one of those tin cans like Festivas, etc....

------------------
Chuck P
1993#3951 (24k miles, mod'ed and lots of custom parts)
NLOC#138
NLOC Michigan area Regional Representative
MiLOC#10
my-L_fr_3-4_view-small.jpg

00 Focus ZX3
99 GT conv
91 GT (race/show car- in hibernation)

Damn, damn, damn... I just deleted a bunch of good links on Spec Miata's, racing costs, car setup, etc... I was going to get SCCA licensed next Feb and get into Spec miata racing. After lots of bac-and-forth, I decide not to start just yet, due to the time commitment involved to be really competitive.
Anyway, I got all my info from sccaforum.com and the 2 main spec miata sites...

To answer your question, yes it is a good class, getting to be very popular as a good entry class to start amatuer racing... i think it'll surpass the very popular Spec-Rx7's soon, as the 1st gen RX7's are getting soooo old now.

What is your level and previous racing experience... I dont want to give you a bunch of advice that you already know, like:
It would be a good idea to find a race shop locally that rents spec Miata's, and do a couple events before buying one... i'm 6' 0" and i feel pretty claustrophobic in them with my helmet on (big difference between passengering vs. driving and soft top vs. the hard top).

[This message has been edited by DreaminAboutL (edited 12-17-2001).]

I looked into the race shops, and we have two that can do the work, as well as some Weekend Warriors with welders and duct tape.

I just joined the Ohio Valley Region of the SCCA, and from what I can tell, the spec miata class will be growing.

I'm also 6'0, and weigh 230. That might present a problem with the hardtop mandatory.

I mainly want to race in this Region, and we are required to race twice to keep your License current. I enjoy Mid-Ohio, and I go there every chance that I get.

I am leaning towards the later model 1800cc cars, because the mods are not as involved as the earlier cars, or as expensive to be competitive.

Thanks for the input.

JFX

well looking at those sites, looks like you can get a race ready car for $6500 - $10,000. Not to bad. PLus cost of trailer, parts and supplies. Hmmm..... It was mentioned somewhere that it costs $750 for a race weekend??? Is this true? Also is this considered an entry level Pro catagory or backyard racer class?

------------------
Chuck P
1993#3951 (24k miles, mod'ed and lots of custom parts)
NLOC#138
NLOC Michigan area Regional Representative
MiLOC#10
my-L_fr_3-4_view-small.jpg

00 Focus ZX3
99 GT conv
91 GT (race/show car- in hibernation)

Originally posted by lightngsvt:
well looking at those sites, looks like you can get a race ready car for $6500 - $10,000. Not to bad. PLus cost of trailer, parts and supplies. Hmmm..... It was mentioned somewhere that it costs $750 for a race weekend??? Is this true? Also is this considered an entry level Pro catagory or backyard racer class?

I have not gotten that far yet. I belive they aid it costs roughly $750.00 per weekend. I can buy the trailer for $500.00.
Parts and supplies....endless.

I'm thinking that it would be a great junkyard parts series.You can save alot by "recycling" the parts off of the car. and the stock wheels are pretty cheap. There is some fixed costs, but I think $11-13,000 is completely in line.

JFX

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lightngsvt:
It was mentioned somewhere that it costs $750 for a race weekend??? Is this true? </font>

Price varies for a weekend, so I've heard. Figure cost for event entry, gas (for the car and transportation there), hotel, at least a set of brake pads, cost of tires (one set usually lasts 3-4 weekends), food ... um, there's some others I probably can't think of.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lightngsvt:
Also is this considered an entry level Pro catagory or backyard racer class?

</font>

Spec Miata is strictly "club level" -- i.e., not "pro"
wink.gif
-- that some SCCA and NASA regions run. Club racing is a hobby -- you aren't going to make much (if any) money.

------------------
Pat
'00 Lightning, #981
'91 Sentra SE-R, SCCA/NASA racecar
'93 Sentra SE-R, sold
frown.gif

[This message has been edited by SVT SE-R (edited 12-17-2001).]

Random thoughts:

Do lots of "drivers school" type of track events... Get REAL comfortable on a track. Do lots of advanced "drivers schools" that allow open passing... be real comfortable passing in turns, diving for the apex (courtouesly of course), etc. NASA group 4 is good if NASA is in your area.
It's a big step from "driver school" events to SCCA class racing... i think you really need to know what you are doing before jumping into Spec racing (MHO). Note that "driver school" type events are still wheel-to-wheel, open passing, even timed...

For spec-racing: as I stated above, rent the race car you are thinking about getting and do some events with it, ideally get your racing license in that racing car. Then go buy a car.

Good thing about spec-racing is that you cannot tweak stuff... you have to leave it alone, per the spec's. You have only a few choices to make... bolt-in or weld-in roll cage, etc.
And worry only about disposable items... brake pads, race tires, etc.

The biggest expense is the tow vehicle... you already have that
biggrin.gif

Race fees are $500-750 per weekend... practice session on Friday... 1 race on Saturday, 1 more practise on Saturday (maybe), and 1 race on Sunday.
Repeat ~10 time in one year. I think you have to complete ~8 events to be competitive. That's a big time committment IHMO. [I only know how it works on the west coast].

Finally, for spec racing (at least on the west coast)... winners get a big trophy and a hand-shake... not even a kiss from a pretty girl, much less any money!
frown.gif

What about formula ford or continental?
Has anyone tried one of the open-wheel classes?

It's my understanding that tires, gas, and pads all cost less in those series and if you're not specifically looking to do tin-top they are a great way to get started racing on a budget. Car prices I've seen range from 5K for a starter to 40K for a new nationals-ready continental.

I used to have and race a 14psi intercooled turbo 1995 Miata. (I didn't consider it a ricer please don't flame me). I sold it a couple of years ago and they guy overboosted and blew it up in two weeks. Anyway a site that I used for everything Miata was http://www.miata.net.

Just so I don't get flamed the Miata was an awesome car to drive but I also own a 1972 Corvette Conv., 1966 'K'Code GT Fastback Mustang, and a 1968 Mustang Coupe which you can see at http://www.shanehamilton.com. I have a S/C HD on order and my wife drives a 2000 Acura TL, you can hassle her at verahamilton@email.com, she's the closest thing to a ricer in this family now.:)

Shane

Back